Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Four Contest

Below are what I believe to be the picks so far. There is plenty of time to make your first picks or change your picks.

Agent Orange
    C L E M S O N
    Alabama
    Washington
    Wisconsin

Mike Kelly
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin

RobertM

Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma

elgrau
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Ohio State
    Georgia

TOAD

Clemson
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Wisconsin

sppixley
    Clemson
    Washington
    Alabama
    Penn State

gwalkerruns
    Alabama
    TCU
    Michigan
    Florida

Tony Presley
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Washington

Marty Gass
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Notre Dame

Let me know if this has errors.

My thinking so far:

- In my opinion SOS (strength of schedule) should be more important than the committtee has made it. SOS is hard to nail down. A good example might be Auburn beats #4 Washington in the first game and then Washinton goes 7-5 and falls out of the top 25.
    Another example would be Alabama will be a heavy favorite in every game so easy schedule for them. That same schedule would be deemed tough for Texas.

- Conference Champion should be more important than the committee has made it.

Both of those are important to the committee, but it seems that wins and losses count most. They also claim to look into who is playing best at the end of the season which I think should rank low as I would lean more toward body of work be it first game or last. To me a loss to say Maryland should count against one a lot more than a loss to OHS.

To that end, on paper as to talent and schedule, the teams most likely to go undefeated in regular season play are Miami, Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama. Most likely none will, but I believe these have the best chance due to talent and schedule. All would then have a Conference Champ game to play. The chances of a lot of one loss teams are in this group.

The other conferences will likely produce a 12-1 or 11-2 Conference champion, but due to more parity, I believe it is less likely.

At that point the committee starts looking at SOS and Conference Champs, plus things like head-to-head games.

Had Alabama met Georgia in the Conference Champ game, only one would have made the FF. Interesting would have been a 2 loss Auburn being Conference Champ.

It seems to me unlikely both teams from a Conference Champ game will make it in even if the game is close.

As there are 5 Conference Champs and Notre Dame, the FF Committee first looks at wins and losses. As it is very rare for a team to go undefeated, any undefeated Conference Champ is in. An undefeated Notre Dame is in.
    After that they look at teams with one loss and give Conference Champs extra credit, but other things come into play. A one loss Notre Dame would have a very hard time unless the field is full of 2 loss teams.

Could a 12-1 Miami or Clemson loosing in the Conference game get in? They would need help by all others having 2 losses or more. Would a 12-1 Alabama loosing to a 11-2 Georgia get in ahead of Georgia or (vice versa)?? I don't know, but I think so.

I believe teams in the Pac 12, Big 12, and Big 10 are more likely to have a 2 or 3 loss Conference Champ this year due to parity. Is a 2 loss Michigan less/more than a 2 loss Washington? Is an 11-2 MSU Conference Champ more/less than a 12-1 Alabama who is not?

The FF Committee might have an easy job or a tough job this year, but so far I am positive they have produced the true National Champion which is their mission.

I see only George has picked a BiG 12 team so far -> TCU.
    The favorite there is Oklahoma, but Texas has talent and West Virginia is ready to play this year.
    TCU plays OHS, and I give them credit for doing that. In a conference that has not played defense for years, I see OHS kicking ass. I don't think TCU can loose this and another game and get into the FF, and I hate that. They get Oklahoma and WV at home, so that is good.

It is hard for me to see a one loss team Champ champion out of the Big 12.
    Oklahoma has the best schedule for it. I have to give WV (not a fan) credit for scheduling an ACC and a SEC team, plus they may have the best QB in the nation.

Many took both Alabama and Georgia from the SEC.
    Only TOAD took two teams from the Big Ten in OHS and Wisconsin.

I believe the Big 10 might be the strongest conference as the season starts, but not sure that helps them get in two teams.
    The East has OHS, MSU, Penn State, and Mich. Going undefeated there is hard.

The West just has Wisconsin (so far), but they play Mich and Penn. They get them at home, but still tough. Now that Michigan had a real QB transfer in from the SEC, they go from "no shot" to a team that could win it all (in my opinion).

Picking a Conference Champ in the Big Ten is not just about OHS this year as all listed above have the teams to prevail. Can one team come through with just one loss? That will be hard.

If I am the only one having fun with this playing WTF?, then WTF!
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

The Coaches Poll counts a lot.

It should count zero right now.
    (I go on this rant every year).

In my opinion it should start out as it ended last season as colleges earned that ranking. Instead, so called experts pick and choose as to what they think of the talent on hand. The "Blue Bloods" always get a leg up as all know they have the most talent and the most money.

The problem is that to climb in the poll, someone above most loose, and if they do loose , they just fall maybe a couple slots. If Alabama looses to Louisville and Clemson looses to Furman, do you think they will fall below Oklahoma State who went 10-3 last season but some how are ranked #25?

This Poll counts as to the FF Committee and should not come out until at least October. Coming out now, the only fair way would be to go as it left off last season.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Final Four Contest

Attachment 6129

The "Official" experts (Coaches Poll) ranking came out today.
    1. Alabama (13-1)
    2. Clemson (12-2)
    3. Ohio State (12-2)
    4. Georgia (13-2)
    5. Oklahoma (12-2)
    6. Washington (10-3)
    7. Wisconsin (13-1)
    8. Miami (Fla.) (10-3)
    9. Penn State (11-2)
    10. Auburn (10-4)
    11. Notre Dame (10-3)
    12. Michigan State (10-3)
    13. Stanford (9-5)
    14. Michigan (8-5)
    15. Southern California (11-3)
    16. TCU (11-3)
    17. Virginia Tech (9-4)
    18. Mississippi State (9-4)
    19. Florida State (7-6)
    20. West Virginia (7-6)
    21. Texas (7-6)
    22. Boise State (11-3)
    23. Central Florida (13-0)
    24. LSU (9-4)
    25. Oklahoma State (10-3)
    The Coaches Poll counts a lot.

It should count zero right now.
    (I go on this rant every year).

In my opinion it should start out as it ended last season as colleges earned that ranking on the field. Instead, so called experts pick and choose as to what they think of the talent on hand. The "Blue Bloods" always get a leg up as all know they have the most talent and the most money.

The problem is to climb in the poll, someone above most loose, and if they do, just fall maybe a couple slots. If Alabama looses to Louisville and Clemson looses to Furman, do you think they will fall below Oklahoma State who went 10-3 last season but some how are ranked #25?

This Poll counts as to the FF Committee and should not come out until at least October. Coming out now, the only fair way would be to go as it left off last season. That would mean zero as teams change, and this means nothing, except it does!.

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    Current system has always sucked and always will suck

Ed, every third time you post you rant on that.
    Neither I nor any here have even slight influence as to changing anything with the FF. (Personally, I like it as it is and want no changes).

I know you are old and your brain is solidifying, but crap, no need to put it here over and over. Try to ease up and have some fun. Snowflake crap has ruined my joy of reading daily news, don't fuck up the fun of CFB as it aint really important to us normal people. The fun is putting value to something silly - that is the fun of sports. Post anything a as to a few times, but at some point assume we understand your view. Posting it with every post and threatening to boycott the games here accomplish what for you? No one here has influence.

Mail all that to Gene Smith who as you know is the AD of OHS and a member of the FF Committee. As you are an alum in good standing who donates heavily, your voice will be heard and acted on by Mr Smith.
    gene.jpg
    Do it soon as he is on thin snowflake ice these days.

CPT
    Every third post of yours seems to be something about bashing me.... These posts also have no influence over my behavior; sorry.

"The fans" ultimately DO have all the power and influence over the CFB playoffs. We could easily change it to something fair to the players: simply boycott the sport (college kids would still support their teams, but they don't pay the bills..) and they'd fix their flawed "good old boy" figure skating judges based playoff system in one season! Not being a liberal, I just don't compromise on my beliefs nor accept crap as being "just the way it is; accept it and shut up about it".

"When something's not right, it's wrong" - Bob Zimmerman
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

"When something ain't broke, don't try to fix it".
    --------------Agent Orange
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

CPT
    ^Unless it's Bill English!

Non applicable....it IS broken and this will be acknowledged one day when they DO "fix it". Until then, string the sheeple along...keep the rubes deceived and PAYING!
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I see only George has picked a BiG 12 team so far -> TCU.
    The favorite there is Oklahoma, but Texas has talent and West Virginia is ready to play this year.
    TCU plays OHS, and I give them credit for doing that. In a conference that has not played defense for years, I see OHS kicking ass. I don't think TCU can loose this and another game and get into the FF, and I hate that. They get Oklahoma and WV at home, so that is good.

It is hard for me to see a one loss team Champ champion out of the Big 12.
    Oklahoma has the best schedule for it. I have to give WV (not a fan) credit for scheduling an ACC and a SEC team, plus they may have the best QB in the nation.
    You are mistaken Bill. I also picked a Big 12 team. Oklahoma to be precise. And for all the reasons you mentioned above.

^Unless it's Bill English!

Non applicable....it IS broken and this will be acknowledged one day when they DO "fix it". Until then, string the sheeple along...keep the rubes deceived and PAYING!
    They will change it some day. I am sure of that. That does not mean it is broken now.
    There is more money to be made by expansion, and that also appeases the snowflakes who want all to get an award.
    If it goes to 6, snowflakes will cry for 8, etc. (its just not fair boo hoo).

The goal is to find the National Champion, and they have been 100% correct. Expansion is unnecessary and detrimental to CFB.

I would like to see more clarification on what is deemed important. As people are more subjective than a computer, can see the good of letting them go with it as they have done exceptional so far.

One thing is they don't look for the most "deserving" teams, but the "best" teams. That means considering things like if your QB broke a leg in the last game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    You are mistaken Bill. I also picked a Big 12 team. Oklahoma to be precise. And for all the reasons you mentioned above.
    Oklahoma is not only a Blue Blood program, but in the years just since 2010 rank top 5 by this article who judged on this:

National championships: 10 points each
    National title game appearances: 5 points each
    College Football Playoff appearances: 5 points each
    New Year's Day Six/BCS bowl appearances: 3 points each
    Heisman Trophy winners: 2 points each

There are many ways to rate teams.
    I would look at conference wins and wins against top 20 and top 10 opponents.

Oklahoma has lost their last 3 against Clemson.
    They have made it to the Final Four twice which is great, but lost both play in games. Facing non-Big 12 defenses has not worked out for them, but they did beat OHS last year.

This year with no Baker Mayfield, they will still score lots of points, but they don't look better to me than WV. Their non-conference schedule going forward is a joke.

To get in this year they can't loose more than one game. At that point records will be compared. They will come up short compared to a 1 loss Washington, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, OHS, Mich, Penn, Wis, Mich.

I just don't compromise on my beliefs nor accept crap as being "just the way it is; accept it and shut up about it".
    I agree, your mind is closed to intelligent debate as you see everything as personal.
    Were you always like that or is this your old brain getting crusty and fighting mad over every thing?
    You are calling for a boycott over this?

Yesterday on ESPN some old timers were doing WTF?
    One question was should the Final Four expand.

Rece Davis, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, and Desmond Howard all believe FOUR is the best number and went into details as to why. More money could be made by ESPN with expansion.

Ed I know your thinking is better than these experts who have been in the game all their lives, but it ain't better than my thinking.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast