Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Four Contest

Final Four Contest

Final Four Contest

final.jpg

The "Official" experts (Coaches Poll) ranking came out today.
    1. Alabama (13-1)
    2. Clemson (12-2)
    3. Ohio State (12-2)
    4. Georgia (13-2)
    5. Oklahoma (12-2)
    6. Washington (10-3)
    7. Wisconsin (13-1)
    8. Miami (Fla.) (10-3)
    9. Penn State (11-2)
    10. Auburn (10-4)
    11. Notre Dame (10-3)
    12. Michigan State (10-3)
    13. Stanford (9-5)
    14. Michigan (8-5)
    15. Southern California (11-3)
    16. TCU (11-3)
    17. Virginia Tech (9-4)
    18. Mississippi State (9-4)
    19. Florida State (7-6)
    20. West Virginia (7-6)
    21. Texas (7-6)
    22. Boise State (11-3)
    23. Central Florida (13-0)
    24. LSU (9-4)
    25. Oklahoma State (10-3)

They are always wrong. CFB is very hard to predict.
    Some sure bets will fade, and teams not suppose to do well will win.
    It happens every year.

Some teams with "more" will fail to assemble a team from all their talent, and some with "less" will get all the guys on the same page. It happens every year.

Picking the Final Four has been done here on YardCrap from the start of the Final Four and has always a fun roller coaster ride. Gnomes expect the same this year as they aint as dumb as they appear.

The rules will be slightly different from last year.

- Cut off will be when the Great Pumpkin arrives (Midnight October 31st).
    - Post your picks for the four teams that you believe will make the College Football Final Four.
    - Post them in the order you believe the FF Committee will place them.

Change your picks as often as you change your mind until the GP arrives at Midnight.
    In case of ties, the earliest post wins, so this rule is very important and adds to the strategy.

Points are awarded depending on how many you pick right. This year an additional point is gained by placing a team "in the position" awarded them by the FF Committee. That means there are 8 points available this year as opposed to 4 in past years.

Prizes:

1st - The World's Best Bird House. Gnomes prefer this model. It has a large rain roof over hang, metal hole predator guard, raised wire floor for blowfly protection, hinged viewing window, and hinged side door for easy cleaning - made in the USA.

house2.jpghouse1.jpg

2nd prize - Photo of General US Grant donated by elgrau

Prize list may be updated depending on the generosity of members.

Pick now and pick often.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My picks are:

C L E M S O N
    Alabama
    Washington
    Wisconsin

SSG
    My picks are:
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin

The year of the Dawg!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    My picks are:
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin

The year of the Dawg!
    I hope this is the year of the Dawg!

Nothing would be finer (if you live in Carolina) than to see Georgia and Clemson square off in the last game.

That probably means they have to beat Alabama before the FF is announced. It is unlikely both get in again, but WTF do I know?

SSG
    It is my hope that it will be a Georgia/Clemson game for the National Championship. That will be fun!

My pics are:

#1 Clemson
    #2 Alabama
    #3 Wisconsin
    #4 Oklahoma

I look forward to all the surprises that the season brings this year! There is nothing like College football! I hold season tickets to both UNC football and Carolina Panthers football. I am a huge fan of football in general. The difference between college football and the NFL is that one game can eliminate a University from it all. By the end of the season all the so called experts are usually made to look like fools with their predictions. I expect the same to probably happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    The difference between college football and the NFL is that one game can eliminate a University from it all.

I believe "certain games" can take a team out, but not one game.
    A team loosing "out of conference" and still winning the conference is Ok.
    Last year Alabama lost a conference game, did not win the SEC but did win the National Champonship. They were the best team.

It is difficult and rare for a team to go undefeated.
    Last year Auburn had a real chance to win it all with two losses.

CPT
    1. Alabama (13-1)
    2. Clemson (12-2)
    3. Ohio State (12-2)
    4. Georgia (13-2)
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I believe "certain games" can take a team out, but not one game.
    Every year there is one game that takes out a team or teams. That is exactly what happened to Wisconsin last year.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Wisconsin
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

The FF Committee has done an excellent job at lining up the best two teams each year which is their mission.
    I believe each year the real National Champion has been discovered.

I am 100% against expanding to 8 teams, 16 teams, 50 teams as where does it end?

A huge tradition as to College Football is Bowl Games. In any given year at least 100 teams are not playing from day one to be the National Champs, but to do their best and hope meet a team they might not normally face in a Bowl Game.
    All my CFB viewing life has been enriched by BOWL games that had meaning.
    I have attended many and hope to again.
    BOWL games have meaning to fans and players.

The CFB FF Committee choosing 4 teams detracts some from Bowl Games, but not too much and the result is better - for me.
    Going beyond 4 teams really cuts into the great Bowl system.

CFB is fun but not important and not real life. Keeping CFB as alive as possible for as many as possible and still producing a true yearly champion has been a chore for decades. So far the FF Committee has succeeded. I look forward to fun debates as to to the National Champions picked so far not being the right one.

The FF Committee is much about humans so their debate is fun. What they use to determine is clear as a muddy pond.

I do believe they are real experts and endeavor to not let personal bias enter. That is not possible, and they understand that. I have 99.9% confidence in them.

I know change is always afoot, but vote never to change the FF Committee and especially the limit of 4 teams. Four teams has brought us the true National Champion 100% with less disruption to Bowl games , and I see no reason to mess with that type success.

Football aint basketball. Football players are near toast by end of season. Adding more playoff games is not beneficial to find the National Champion and more games will add to injury as these guys are shot.

More games are not needed to find the champs and history bears that out.
    "On the ROY Bus, but We’re Coming!”

PFC
    1. Clemson
    2. Washington
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State

Watch out for Virginia Tech next year!

Quote Originally Posted by sppixley View Post

Watch out for Virginia Tech next year!

I will be watching out for them this year.
    History has proven that a Bud Foster Defense can win any game. That is a proven fact.
    A couple years back I told all here to watch Clemson "next" year, and they messed me up by being great that year. You can look it up.

VT has a solid team.
    The schedule is not too bad. Winning that side of the ACC has been less difficult lately and again this year. Get into the ACC Championship, and anything can happen in one game.

The only hard game is Notre Dame played at VT. Even losing that has no bearing on the ACC quest.
    VT going 11-1 is not a stretch.
    Going 10-2 and making the ACC Championship will never be easier.
    9-3 might even get VT in.

I will go with Alabama, TCU, Michigan, Florida. I am 100 percent for expanding the playoff until every major conf champ (five) are automatically in. Last year was crap. Alabama did not win the sec, did not win the western division of the sec, did not even win the state of alabama but got in. Not for what they did on the field but for their amazing talent. They were ranked fifth at the end of the regular season but the bookies had them as favorites if they got in. I say do the five champs plus one at large for six total. The top two seeds get a bye while 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5 in early Dec. The winners play the top two seeds in late December. This gets all the champs in, maintains bowls, and allows teams to stop scheduling patsies non conf as losses out of conf will not doom you.

Stop the press !!!

My FF Four post was to be "tempting bait" to draw out Elgrau who claims he will pick winners but ignore the discussion until the FF is more than four.

Today my old friend George posted, and now Ed has a soul mate.
    Like Ed, George is very opinionated, and why we are all friends.

George and I have been friends "disagreeing" for decades. I set up the email he still uses before he knew how to turn a computer on.
    Like Tony, George is a retired teacher and also a legend as a foot racer.

Let the fun begin!!
    (more fun if cranky Ed will join in).

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast