Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Final Four Contest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    This week is a huge week in CFB.
    I am excited!

I will be pulling for all underdogs (except Clemson).
    I suspect the Tigers will drop a game as 99% do, and so want all others to have many losses.

That reads wrong. What I meant to say is "MAY the best team win" -- as long as the wining or loosing helps Clemson in any way, ever how slight.

That means:
    - Virginia
    - Nebraska
    - Texas
    - Penn
    - VT
    - Northwestern
    - LSU
    - Texas Tech
    - Cal

The other games are what they are, and this week have little impact on the Tigers.
    CPAP !! Every team I was pulling for lost.

SSG
    One could say Coach Howard is responsible for all things "Clemson".
    I have lots of good memories of Coach Howard interviews and Clemson. When Donna and I were dating in 1967, I took her to a Clemson - Georgia game at Death Valley. Georgia was ranked 5th at the time and Clemson was unranked. The stadium was loud and the Clemson side started a very loud repeating chant when Georgia came onto the field. "Y'all number 5... Were Number 1! Turned out to be a competitive game! Every time GA scored, I got a kiss from Donna. Four kisses later, Georgia had won 24-17. Great memories!

Week two results changed little, but stay tuned.
    This week Marty and Robert still lead with 5, but Tony now also has 5.
    Toad gained a point and no one has less this week.

On 2nd glance (not official ) seems like Marty has 6 and TOAD is the first of the 5's.

I still stand by my picks of Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I still stand by my picks of Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.
    I doubt there will be changes tonight when they release, but changes will be coming.
    Big games for week 12 are:

--none--

Maybe Syracuse takes down Notre Dame, but anything else would be a surprise. CFB is full of surprise, so I am in panic mode as Duke come to town.

There are many interesting games on tap, so yet another fun week is arriving.

At this point Alabama is in even if they loose a game.

Georgia must win out to get in unless things go to hell which seems unlikely.

Clemson is in if they win out and maybe even if they loose a close game.

Notre Dame must win out as this year the competition for a spot is high.

Michigan and Ohio State must win out which is not possible for both.

The Pac 12 and the Big 12 are on the outside with a great chance, but it depends on what the above do.

Later tonight the FFC will clear it up some for us.

SSG
    At this point Alabama is in even if they loose a game.

Georgia must win out to get in unless things go to hell which seems unlikely.

Clemson is in if they win out and maybe even if they loose a close game.

Notre Dame must win out as this year the competition for a spot is high.

Michigan and Ohio State must win out which is not possible for both.

The Pac 12 and the Big 12 are on the outside with a great chance, but it depends on what the above do.

Later tonight the FFC will clear it up some for us.
    What happens if Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame wins out? Chaos! Big 10 left out? Bama left out? Lots more talk of expanding the playoffs especially from our friend Ed. Gonna be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    What happens if Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame wins out? Chaos! Big 10 left out? Bama left out? Lots more talk of expanding the playoffs especially from our friend Ed. Gonna be interesting!
    No chaos, just the best four teams matching off.
    Winning on the field gets you in , not ancient reputations.

CPT
    "Winning on the field gets you in "

That's proven bullshit.....recently, OSU WON its final game of the season and moved DOWN and out of the final 4 (from #4), and a idle team that did not play that week moved into that spot....all based on the OPINIONS of the "selection committee" members. So "winning on the field" does not get you in; your "ancient reputations" with the "figure skating judges" plays a big part (and that's crap playoff system that needs reforming!).
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Actually, winning on the field does get you in. There is no other way. Ed, sad for you this year is OHS may win out and still not make the cut.
    Why?
    Because other teams may have a better win sheet.
    This all adds to playing well all year and not being blown out 45-20 by a team that is just .500 and not going to a bowl.
    Georgia wants/deserves that spot.

Nothing changed this week, the leader is still Marty.
    Nothing is likely to change this weekend. ND is playing a good team, but they get them at home.

My thinking is even with one loss Alabama is now in. A 12-1 Alabama is in.
    Clemson is a heavy favorite in the last games against Duke, USuCk, and probably Pitt. ND is a heavy favorite against Syracuse and USC.

If Georgia beats Alabama they are in. It appears that if anyone can beat them it is Georgia who matches up well with no weak areas and gets them at home.

Until all that works out, no matter what the other teams do, they are not assured a spot. Right now fans of OHS and Michigan are huge fans of Alabama winning.

Some say Oklahoma and WV may have two schedule enhancers if they end up playing each other twice. That is true, but while The Big Ten Championship game looks to be less this year, OHS and Michigan do play each other for a big game. Right now Michigan's loss in the first game to #3 ND don't look too bad.

With a win over #1 Alabama, Georgia would trump anything the others do.
    Their only blemish is a loss to #10 LSU (which is likely to rise in the polls).

CPT
    ^ Folks go thru the same machinations and rationalizations when defending the why's and how's that Figure Skater A won over Figure Skater B and why she/he "deserves" their "victory". All 100% bullshit; just like AO's above "logic". Just biased and slanted bloviating and pathetic justification for a deeply flawed "good ol boy" infested process.

Sports is ONLY about who wins and who loses when ANY two teams meet....not who SHOULD win or who the "judges" picked/blessed/favored/rationalized/profited to make the fake playoffs. All crap and very unfair to the coaches and players who 100% determine who wins on ANY given match up. Not a committee of fallible egomaniacs desperate to relive their glory days and remain relevant and "important". So pathetic... Not to mention how the running up the score and piling on by the "front runners" who strategically schedule weak teams for this purpose and that this current system "demands" in order to impress the "committee members", humiliates and does not teach sportsmanship...only "winning" at any costs (just like progressive Democrats running these schools view politics..). I say do away with all of these games and shorten the season to only games against teams in your conference and use these humiliating "cream puff" game slots (that only serve to humiliate weaker conference team's players..) to go to a three round 6 team playoff (with 1 and 2 getting a 1st round bye) system that consists of the 5 Conference champs and one wildcard team that is the non-conference winning team from these 5 conference with the best record. Simple and mirrors the pro's playoff systems.
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678