Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Four Contest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    This week is a huge week in CFB.
    I am excited!

I will be pulling for all underdogs (except Clemson).
    I suspect the Tigers will drop a game as 99% do, and so want all others to have many losses.

That reads wrong. What I meant to say is "MAY the best team win" -- as long as the wining or loosing helps Clemson in any way, ever how slight.

That means:
    - Virginia
    - Nebraska
    - Texas
    - Penn
    - VT
    - Northwestern
    - LSU
    - Texas Tech
    - Cal

The other games are what they are, and this week have little impact on the Tigers.
    CPAP !! Every team I was pulling for lost.

SSG
    One could say Coach Howard is responsible for all things "Clemson".
    I have lots of good memories of Coach Howard interviews and Clemson. When Donna and I were dating in 1967, I took her to a Clemson - Georgia game at Death Valley. Georgia was ranked 5th at the time and Clemson was unranked. The stadium was loud and the Clemson side started a very loud repeating chant when Georgia came onto the field. "Y'all number 5... Were Number 1! Turned out to be a competitive game! Every time GA scored, I got a kiss from Donna. Four kisses later, Georgia had won 24-17. Great memories!

Week two results changed little, but stay tuned.
    This week Marty and Robert still lead with 5, but Tony now also has 5.
    Toad gained a point and no one has less this week.

On 2nd glance (not official ) seems like Marty has 6 and TOAD is the first of the 5's.

I still stand by my picks of Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I still stand by my picks of Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.
    I doubt there will be changes tonight when they release, but changes will be coming.
    Big games for week 12 are:

--none--

Maybe Syracuse takes down Notre Dame, but anything else would be a surprise. CFB is full of surprise, so I am in panic mode as Duke come to town.

There are many interesting games on tap, so yet another fun week is arriving.

At this point Alabama is in even if they loose a game.

Georgia must win out to get in unless things go to hell which seems unlikely.

Clemson is in if they win out and maybe even if they loose a close game.

Notre Dame must win out as this year the competition for a spot is high.

Michigan and Ohio State must win out which is not possible for both.

The Pac 12 and the Big 12 are on the outside with a great chance, but it depends on what the above do.

Later tonight the FFC will clear it up some for us.

SSG
    At this point Alabama is in even if they loose a game.

Georgia must win out to get in unless things go to hell which seems unlikely.

Clemson is in if they win out and maybe even if they loose a close game.

Notre Dame must win out as this year the competition for a spot is high.

Michigan and Ohio State must win out which is not possible for both.

The Pac 12 and the Big 12 are on the outside with a great chance, but it depends on what the above do.

Later tonight the FFC will clear it up some for us.
    What happens if Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame wins out? Chaos! Big 10 left out? Bama left out? Lots more talk of expanding the playoffs especially from our friend Ed. Gonna be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    What happens if Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame wins out? Chaos! Big 10 left out? Bama left out? Lots more talk of expanding the playoffs especially from our friend Ed. Gonna be interesting!
    No chaos, just the best four teams matching off.
    Winning on the field gets you in , not ancient reputations.

Actually, winning on the field does get you in. There is no other way. Ed, sad for you this year is OHS may win out and still not make the cut.
    Why?
    Because other teams may have a better win sheet.
    This all adds to playing well all year and not being blown out 45-20 by a team that is just .500 and not going to a bowl.
    Georgia wants/deserves that spot.

Nothing changed this week, the leader is still Marty.
    Nothing is likely to change this weekend. ND is playing a good team, but they get them at home.

My thinking is even with one loss Alabama is now in. A 12-1 Alabama is in.
    Clemson is a heavy favorite in the last games against Duke, USuCk, and probably Pitt. ND is a heavy favorite against Syracuse and USC.

If Georgia beats Alabama they are in. It appears that if anyone can beat them it is Georgia who matches up well with no weak areas and gets them at home.

Until all that works out, no matter what the other teams do, they are not assured a spot. Right now fans of OHS and Michigan are huge fans of Alabama winning.

Some say Oklahoma and WV may have two schedule enhancers if they end up playing each other twice. That is true, but while The Big Ten Championship game looks to be less this year, OHS and Michigan do play each other for a big game. Right now Michigan's loss in the first game to #3 ND don't look too bad.

With a win over #1 Alabama, Georgia would trump anything the others do.
    Their only blemish is a loss to #10 LSU (which is likely to rise in the polls).

Important games are afoot as to the contest this week.
    Not only as to who is in, but what slots they will occupy.

The big one is Georgia vs Alabama. If Alabama wins they stay #1, and it will be more difficult for Georgia to be Final Four. The line is 10.5. If Georgia wins, it seems unlikely that Oklahoma or OHS could get in to the FF ahead of Alabama.

Clemson vs Pitt could change things, but the Tigers are a 24 point favorite and playing well. The game is in Charlotte and the fans will be mostly in orange. The Tigers are now #2 but could go to #1 with an Alabama loss. I prefer them at #2 with a semi game against #3 Notre Dame.

Oklahoma vs Texas is just 4.5 with a game expected around 42-38 so wow!
    Texas is not getting in, but Oklahoma expects to. A few weeks back Texas won, can Oklahoma win this one? Both teams are playing good offense.

Ohio State vs Northestern is seen as a 13.5 game which I see as to low. OHS had stupid mistakes and still crushed Michigan last week. I expect very few mistakes in this game as Urban Meyer is an excellent coach. It may be too little too late to make the play offs. They may need Georgia and Oklahoma to loose due to the terrible game against Purdue.

Having four teams instead of many adds great excitement to CFB. Unlike college basketball where most games are meaningless, every game is important in CFB. That is not true just for the teams that make the FF but teams fighting every game to get to a bowl or maybe a better bowl.

Going in to the last week Marty leads with 7 points.
    Robert is second with 6.

Things will change this weekend.

SSG
    I like college football. Don't like pro football anymore. The bottom line is that more games means more $$$$$. It's all about the money. Too many commercials which stops play and changes the momentum of the game. My best memories are back in the late 1960's when they kicked off around 1:00 pm and played football without the stopping of play for tv commercials. Money has taken control. College football is still very entertaining though and I will keep watching it and use the commercial breaks to go to the bathroom, which is more frequent the older I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I like college football. Don't like pro football anymore. The bottom line is that more games means more $$$$$. It's all about the money. Too many commercials which stops play and changes the momentum of the game. My best memories are back in the late 1960's when they kicked off around 1:00 pm and played football without the stopping of play for tv commercials. Money has taken control. College football is still very entertaining though and I will keep watching it and use the commercial breaks to go to the bathroom, which is more frequent the older I get.
    I often record and give the games a couple hours head start so I can jump over commercials and keep my mental game flow going.
    If I must watch "live"due to the fact I am too excited to delay , still hit pause at commercials and take a break for maybe 30 minutes so I am not assaulted with bad commercials.

Making money is a big deal and necessary. I am not opposed to that. Many games cause the shifting of millions of dollars. TV is the big player. ESPN owns the SEC and has financial control of all others except maybe ND. ESPN dictates when games will be played. One would think since we pay additional to watch sites like ESPN, commercials would be less than Networks, but nope.

Game play is 60 minutes with 12 time outs, a half time, and some things by officials. A game is maybe 100 minutes. With commercials they are 240 minutes.
    As I like to watch a lot of games, use the DVR to jump over the crap.

It cost money to play games and money to broadcast them. I am in favor of all making a profit so I keep getting the entertainment. Their job is to sell me things and my job is to limit that.

Back in the day when I watched Johnny Unitas or maybe Duke (in my area options with 2 TV stations tended to be the Baltimore Colts, Washington Redskins or Duke Blue Devils. Things were great, a game was maybe 3 hours.
    Now with HD TV and incredible camera action, and many games to choose from - much better. On TV fake lines are added to the field. Replays are instant. I like that.
    When I go to a game now, I miss the fake on field markings and the info. At home I can replay and even do it in slow motion.
    Live is better in most ways, but TV is very good.

My main gripe would be the present day asshole commentators. Some are good but many force me to turn them to a whisper which takes away excitement from stadium sounds. Radio is much better, but the delay messes that up.
    At a game I always wear earbuds and a radio as the local guys are sharp and add a lot.
    "On the ROY Bus, but We’re Coming!”

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast