We enjoy watching our Bluebirds and Tree Swallows each summer. In early spring, they battle each other for the nest boxes and for the last 3 years, the Swallows end up in the box on the upper end of our property and the Bluebirds settle into the lower box and everybody is happy. I never thought about snakes climbing the slick metal poles but I found out the hard way and 2 years ago we lost all of our baby bluebirds and tree swallows to a big Black Rat Snake! I was checking progress of the nest box with baby bluebirds and found the big snake coiled up in the nest. A couple of days later I found the snake leaving the swallow box.

I researched and found some plans for predator guards and settled on the one in the picture. I think I spent about $8 at Home Depot for a couple of pieces of stove pipe and caps and rigged both poles with the pipes. So far everybody is happy but the snake as he has to look elsewhere for food.

I like the snake and would never kill him. He does more good than harm as you can see in the photo where they will eat full grown Copperheads. This photo was taken at Tugaloo State Park on Lake Hartwell.

Name:  black snake eating copperhead.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  152.5 KBName:  snake guard.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  110.7 KBName:  Tree Swallow.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Bluebird.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  35.9 KB