Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bluebirds, Tree Swallows and Black Snakes!

  1. #1

    Bluebirds, Tree Swallows and Black Snakes!

    We enjoy watching our Bluebirds and Tree Swallows each summer. In early spring, they battle each other for the nest boxes and for the last 3 years, the Swallows end up in the box on the upper end of our property and the Bluebirds settle into the lower box and everybody is happy. I never thought about snakes climbing the slick metal poles but I found out the hard way and 2 years ago we lost all of our baby bluebirds and tree swallows to a big Black Rat Snake! I was checking progress of the nest box with baby bluebirds and found the big snake coiled up in the nest. A couple of days later I found the snake leaving the swallow box.

    I researched and found some plans for predator guards and settled on the one in the picture. I think I spent about $8 at Home Depot for a couple of pieces of stove pipe and caps and rigged both poles with the pipes. So far everybody is happy but the snake as he has to look elsewhere for food.

    I like the snake and would never kill him. He does more good than harm as you can see in the photo where they will eat full grown Copperheads. This photo was taken at Tugaloo State Park on Lake Hartwell.

    black snake eating copperhead.jpgsnake guard.jpgTree Swallow.jpgBluebird.jpg

  2. #2
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    [QUOTE=Tony Presley;3103)

    I like the snake and would never kill him. [/QUOTE]




    I know, I hear it every day from my Bride.
    I hate snakes and none are welcome in my yard. They add nothing.

    They rob bird houses, and they eat my frogs. I understand that is their nature and Nature is good?

    As I feed (and there by "lure") critters to my yard, feel it is my duty to protect them as best I can figure out.

    Over the years I learn as to it and keep improving. I have spent a fortune in baffle guards. I also like hanging bird houses.

    On top of that, many snakes are poison in my area. We have rattlers, but the Copperhead is common. If one bites me or my Bride working in the yard, that can't be good. My cats are out there all day, everyday, and by nature, cats attack snakes. My cats "growl" when one is near. I don't want one of my cats bitten and not even my Bride. I hate all snakes as no good comes from them in my yard.

    Years back a large buddy of yours was attacking a Flicker nest way up. The parents were of course going crazy. All I had to fight him off was a low end BB gun. The next week I improved, and now have some good crap. I hated being helpless as he killed the baby birds.

    I like all critters but tend to side with the one defending his home.

    Snakes are every where and a million live with me. They are not endangered, just the opposite. At your home they might be welcome - not here. 100% not here.
    I am not random as to snakes. I have gear in place.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I know, I hear it every day from my Bride.
    I hate snakes and none are welcome in my yard. They add nothing.
    Next thing you know, a well camouflaged Copperhead is going to bite your rear end because you killed his enemy. I won't laugh but I told you so! Also, over-population of mice and rats will eat all your emergency stash of doomsday goods because you killed their predator! I think You just want to kill him because he is "Black". "Black lives Matter" ....

  4. #4
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Next thing you know, a well camouflaged Copperhead is going to bite your rear end because you killed his enemy. I won't laugh but I told you so! Also, over-population of mice and rats will eat all your emergency stash of doomsday goods because you killed their predator! I think You just want to kill him because he is "Black". "Black lives Matter" ....

    I don't buy that, just liberal crap.
    Defending one badass against another is silly.

    Mice and etc are every where. You have them no matter how many snakes you have. Post and report if your snakes have your yard clear.

    The best common Copperhead (snake) killers are possums, coons, foxes, and house cats. Snakes killing snakes is way down the list.

    No snakes are welcome in my yard, but many make a home here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I think You just want to kill him because he is "Black". "Black lives Matter" ....
    I did not see that coming.
    I do believe in profiling.
    If a snake or a race commits an abundant number of crimes beyond the normal, it is logical to look at that, and doing that is not racist.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I don't buy that, just liberal crap.
    Defending one badass against another is silly.

    Mice and etc are every where. You have them no matter how many snakes you have. Post and report if your snakes have your yard clear.

    The best common Copperhead (snake) killers are possums, coons, foxes, and house cats. Snakes killing snakes is way down the list.

    No snakes are welcome in my yard, but many make a home here.



    I did not see that coming.
    I do believe in profiling.
    If a snake or a race commits an abundant number of crimes beyond the normal, it is logical to look at that, and doing that is not racist.
    HaHa Just having fun with you! Donna thought it was funny anyway!

  6. #6
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    My yard is not a lawn, but I do love a nice lawn.
    Many critters live here, and my neighbors wish they had the power to add control over my place. I wish I could buy them out and haul away thier houses.

    This area is big and has room to support all.
    In my tiny yard no snakes, coyote, or Cow Birds are welcome.

    Many live in my yard, but I don't have to like it.

    How you went from snakes to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I think You just want to kill him because he is "Black". "Black lives Matter" ....
    Don't be cute. Post what you think about me so we can discuss it.

    To get started, believe your "Black lives Matter" is just political and only backed by people of any color who have a political agenda.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

    To get started, believe your "Black lives Matter" is just political and only backed by people of any color who have a political agenda.
    Good grief! We are talking about Snakes! It was just a joke!!!

  8. #8
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Good grief! We are talking about Snakes! It was just a joke!!!

    cb.jpg

    .....

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    cb.jpg

    .....
    Here you go....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vudA72hibg

    Remember Jim Stafford? He was a big cut-up but he could actually play very good guitar.

  10. #10
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

    Remember Jim Stafford? He was a big cut-up but he could actually play very good guitar.
    I know that fun song by heart.

  11. #11
    COL AgentOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Remember Jim Stafford? He was a big cut-up but he could actually play very good guitar.
    He was ahead of his time:

  12. #12
    Yes! He had a unique mind and that song made us a little uneasy until that last verse! Wildwood weed was another famous one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •