Thread: Bug Zappers

Bug Zappers

Do they work? By that, I mean do they work enough at bug control to be worth the $$.

Name:  frog.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  148.6 KB

I believe the above frog sitting out here with me today is a full grown BullFrog. It is one of the batch from two years ago I ordered from a SC school supply place. They turned out to be from Lilliput.

He is quite small compared to many who have been raised here, guess not all BullFrogs are the same.
    I have had them bigger than that rock he is sitting on, need to look up some photos.

No matter as he is very fat and seems to be happy. Every day he eats a lot of skeeters and other bugs. Look at that nice yellow coloring! No expensive skeeter catcher can even slightly equal one of these guys. I once bought one that runs on a 20gal propane tank kinda like this:
    Name:  skeeter.jpeg
Views: 1009
Size:  10.4 KB

These type things are junk science and junk as to skeeter control. Even a blind monkey can catch a few, but not enough to help. Tree frogs on my porch near my fountain put these things to shame.

The above fat frog is in my Frog Pond. Over above my Turtle Pond a big bug light comes on every night. I cut the bottom out and it daily feeds my pond critters. Zapped bugs fall into the pond. Frogs, turtles, and fish gather for the feast. Some frogs there could eat this tiny frog in the photo. The turtles have to be quick or the big Koi push them away. The frogs catch the bugs before they get zapped.

Back here in the woods (and all places) there are a lot of bugs.
    That light feeds my critters and adds light to the yard. I call that a bargain. As it is about 50' off, draws the bugs to there and and away from my porch chair.

CSM
    At our Clayton house, we have some great bug zappers! They are Tree Swallows.

Name:  Tree Swallow.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  48.5 KB

They are very beautiful birds as you can see. They nest each year in one of our Bluebird Nest Boxes. I enjoy watching them flying over our yard and field darting and swooping up and down at a very fast pace catching all kinds of small flying insects. It is amazing how fast they change directions.

Excellent bird Tony.

On my dock every year I have Cave Swallows. They are endless fun as they glide over the water catching bugs.
    Name:  cave.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  118.1 KB
    They get quite tame. They also drink in flight. They mostly nest under the dock, but have rooted out some of my BlueBirds houses.

Funny, but just up the road my friend Richard has Barn Swallows every year at his dock.
    Name:  BarnSwallowJH3.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  129.4 KB

It seems like I would have both, but nope.
    I am the only guy in a tie