Frances Ann's post about Roses got me thinking as to my garden.
I enjoy my yard. After the builders left my place was a solid red mud(dirt) area.
Over time I have changed that. There is nothing wrong with Carolina red dirt, it will grow anything. Improving any soil is always a good thing. I have no lawn or even a mower. Over time have hauled in millions of loads of mulch, and leaves from my trees add to that. Leaves are your friend if you have no lawn.

A good time to buy plants if you have no clue is in Winter. Go to a large plant seller and buy what is green. My yard in Winter is now a green contrast to land surrounding it.
I don't grow for show. I grow for me. Neighbors wish I would conform and put in a lawn, but ~~
My yard gets more shady every year. I used to take out trees and now am sorry I did that. Shade is good and the many plants that prefer shade are interesting. I had several irrigated raised beds for veggies, but shade took that away. Veggies need Sun. Now I have several large beer barrel type planters on my my boat dock which gets full Sun. Right now my Butter Crunch lettuce is growing great. I will then put in tomatoes, and in middle July replace them with Cowhorn peppers. (I am getting hungry). Having a bigger ground garden is better, but we do what we can/chose.

Off my porch where I sit (like now with cold beer), my yard is interesting to me. It changes minute to minute and season to season. When I take a short trip, I find myself wondering what is going on at my home and am eager to return. I spare no expense or labor out here. Some of my best plants were gifts or people sharing with me. I like different plants, have killed a bunch and a few survive.

My friend Carol Faircloth and I took the Master Gardner courses together - kinda. She was in Arkansas and I took them at CLEMSON.
Go TIGERS !!!