Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummers

CSM

Hummers

Who on YC is going to post the first Hummingbird sighting of Spring 2018? First arrivals should be soon!

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    We put out a couple of feeders after lunch today.
    Just now had our first Hummer show up. 7:15 3/30/18
    My location is about 50 miles due north of Columbia SC or 50 miles due south of Charlotte NC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

Hummers are back!! Attachment 5257 Attachment 5259

First Hummer of the year made to my feeder just before dark this afternoon! Attachment 5258
    Wow!
    This is my post from last year. Same date, same time of day.
    I wonder if it is the same bird?

CSM
    We put out a couple of feeders after lunch today.
    Just now had our first Hummer show up. 7:15 3/30/18
    My location is about 50 miles due north of Columbia SC or 50 miles due south of Charlotte NC.
    Great! You are just a little south of us so we will be watching! I'm sure they remember getting fed there last year!

CSM
    We now have at least one Hummer at our house today! Get your feeders out, they are sure to be hungry! April 2

I only have out 8, have not seen one yet.
    I will again miss the hike tomorrow - dentist at 8am.

I believe I may have been there. I had the hots for a girl in that area, well actually for a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Who on YC is going to post the first Hummingbird sighting of Spring 2018? First arrivals should be soon!

I have 4 turtles and a few frogs that have shown up. Does that count?

Name:  turtle1tp.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  159.2 KB

I keep a log of when they show and leave.
    Sometimes the first ones to arrive move on and the last to leave are some stopping by headed South.

I keep at least one feeder up all year and that has worked well for me as I have picked up a couple as late as December.

I start out with a bunch of 8oz ones to attract them, and then cut back as these birds are territorial during nesting. They don't live on sugar water, but also eat a lot of bugs. They feed bugs to the babies. Over Summer I generally have a few that show up at first light for a snack and check back often until nearly dark. They require a lot of energy.

After nesting they bring the kids by. They are easy to spot and funny as they learn how to work the feeders.
    Then others from around my area come in for the free food. The feeders are like a war zone. I believ part of this may be to get the kids strong enough for the flight ahead.
    At this point my many 8 oz feeders would have to be refilled everyday. I switch to 32 oz, have many. It is amazing how much sugar I go through then with about 50 of them eating. They can eat a lot!
    Here is about a dozen at one spot last year. I color my water green because it looks good, and have for 25 years.

Name:  P9140045a.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  77.7 KB

CSM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I only have out 8, have not seen one yet.
    I will again miss the hike tomorrow - dentist at 8am.
    You really spoil your birds and critters!

And, what you are telling me is that you had rather go to the Dentist than to go hiking!

I believe I may have been there. I had the hots for a girl in that area, well actually for a few of them.

Wayne is my brother.

He is younger but has exceeded me in every way except that Mom liked me more.

The bigger deal for us was Pop who liked Mom best.
    I am the only guy in a tie

I hope everyone is keeping their HB feeders up. In this heat they ferment, so change them often.

Nesting is over and more are coming to my feeders now. I have already changed out two of the normal 8oz ones to 32oz to keep up.

I am embarrassed to say but I have been just leafing feed in a spot in my yard on a large piece of bark near the bird bath. I am buying new feeders and some different hangers for them and I am working on a way to suspend some from a tree limb so the squirrels can't get at them. I don't care if they get into some of the feeders as long as they don't destroy them. The deer kill some of the cheap feeders. I am more concerned about the water being here and the birds use my pond and bird bath. I sometimes just turn on the sprinkler and the birds seem to enjoy playing in the spray.

CSM
    I hope everyone is keeping their HB feeders up. In this heat they ferment, so change them often.

Nesting is over and more are coming to my feeders now. I have already changed out two of the normal 8oz ones to 32oz to keep up.
    Yes, activity is picking up. I had to buy more sugar today! You are right about the fermenting. It helps if you make sure your feeders are not in direct sunlight also. This time of year in my yard, it gets to the point that I don't have to worry about fermenting because they empty the feeders in a day or two.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

They are back!

Hurray!!
    Had my first couple of male HummersName:  1f60d.png
Views: 1196
Size:  562 Bytes show up today.
    They are a day late as in both 2017 and again in 2018, they showed up on March 30th.
    I have out three feeders and just now looked and have a bird each on two of them.

Hurray!!
    Had my first couple of male HummersName:  1f60d.png
Views: 1196
Size:  562 Bytes show up today.
    They are a day late as in both 2017 and again in 2018, they showed up on March 30th.
    I have out three feeders and just now looked and have a bird each on two of them.
    The guy don't post here for years then shows up to take a victory lap.

It is fun that Toad gets them before me.
    I do love the guy and not in a homo way as that would be incest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast