Thread: Georgia 2018 Football

Georgia 2018 Football

ug.jpg

UG and Coach Smart almost won it all last year. In 2018 they will have an even better team.

The schedule is not too bad. The out of conference is weak and could hurt.

Austin Peay EASY practice game. This is a game to teach younger guys to get over jitters and where to line up.

at South Carolina USuCk is better than they should be. If UG is kinda becoming a team, the talent should carry them. USuCk is unfortunately improving.

Middle Tennessee Too bad a real team was not scheduled. A win here means nothing to the FF committee.

at Missouri I don't like Missouri. I don't like the state, the team, the college - nothing. UG had a problem last year with this team. On the flip I look for a blow out as the Dawgs run free.

Tennessee This is a team that should compete every year for FF. They ran off Coach Fulmer and have been crap since. They have everything including $$ and fans. One year they will return. This may be the year. No matter as they are not ready for Georgia this year.

Vanderbilt Vandy should be in another conference, but stay in the SEC for the $$ and don't care as to ass-whuppings. Here comes another one. This is a team with good fundamentals and will be a perfect scrimmage game for UG to get ready for things ahead.

at LSU They will have played a harder schedule than UG. They may be beat up some physically and mentally. If not, LSU can win this. I am a huge fan of that big bird they let loose the before the game. It gives me tingles kinda like the FS Indian or the GT car. Nothing I have ever seen at a game I attended impressed me as much as the LSU "GOLDEN GIRLS". UG will be favored to win, but win or not, this game will tell us if they have a team in 2018. UG can loose this and make it to the FF. I doubt they will.

Florida History and this game are - CFB! This year not so much. Florida may be on the way back. Like TN they have it all. Maybe next year?

at Kentucky OK team with no QB. Easy win.

Auburn AU is big time football. They have been erratic. They can win or loose any game. The coach and the team struggle to discover who they are. Between the hedges, UG wins by at least 10. There is no way they win this game.

UMass This is another schedule mistake. Plugging in a Wake, an Iowa, etc would mean a lot. All know this game should be against Clemson or at least Kansas.

Georgia Tech No one wants to play these cheating chop blockers. No one plays them better than teams like UG or CU who play them every year. GT was terrible last year but will be better this year. They should be black listed until they clean up their act.

SEC championship - vs Alabama is normal. If UG looses this, will their weak schedule bring them in to the FF anyway? It depends what is going on around the country, but most likely not.
    UG will win their half of the conference. That is a given. If they fail to win the SEC they are out. It will be their own fault as to the schedule.

=========

The offense will be off the chart good. That sounds like a joke as they lost two incredible backs. If the best two backs ever leave how can a team be better?
    Jake Fromm will again be the QB and is a stud. He is not the new guy now. He is pro style, not much with his feet, but no big deal as the stable is full with guys to hand the ball off too. YC guys like Tony and Mike are not worried. UG will be able to move the ball on the ground and in the air. The UG offense is going to be great!

The defense is less on experience, but blue blood strong at every spot. The "D" will not loose games. UG is known for defense and this year nothing will be less.

Basically a top 5 "O" and a top 5 "D" are now in Spring practice killing each other. In Fall the inter-competition will be even more intense. On game days, seldom will the "O" or the "D" line up against a unit nearly as good as they one they practice against everyday.

The expectation at UG is to win every game, every year. The talent is there to do that.

This is the season Coach Smart has to separate himself as this is now more "his team", not so much the last coach who is now on the verge of making Miami -> "MIAMI". I believe Coach Richt did the best job in CFB last season turning a crap Miami team into a winner.
    I don't know much about the Smart. He is replacing a great coach and is in a conference where great coaches are common. Is he one? There are no complaints so far, just justified excitement.
    He pushes UG players hard as opposed to say Clemson. UG under Smart is more like Alabama in training, and that is a proven way to go.

Check back here on Oct 14th to see if this is a team like last year.

I think you have a good assessment of Georgia's situation.

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE 2018

Both of our local teams are ranked pretty low on over-all strength of schedule. At this point it does not mean anything until games are played. southernpigskin.com ranks Georgia as having the 59th toughest schedule and Clemson 63rd. You would think that it means that they both need to win their conference and have no more than one loss to be in the final four. Two losses and they are likely out just like OHS was last year even if they win their conference.

SSG
    Good analysis! Not sure why we play those practice teams. UGA pays them big bucks though. It appears Coach Smart learned something under Sabun while at Alabama. Nevertheless, they will love him as long as the team wins. A few losses and he will be history. I look for a very good year. We have the talent and now the momentum. I also don't like Missouri, Auburn, or GT. Pull against them no matter who the are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

Both of our local teams are ranked pretty low on over-all strength of schedule. At this point it does not mean anything until games are played. southernpigskin.com ranks Georgia as having the 59th toughest schedule and Clemson 63rd. You would think that it means that they both need to win their conference and have no more than one loss to be in the final four. Two losses and they are likely out just like OHS was last year even if they win their conference.

SOS means less to the FF committee than out of conference.
    CU has 2 power five teams and UG none.

The ACC Champ needs to not just win the conference but not have more than one loss.
    A one loss SEC team or Big 10 team that is not the conference champ can get in. That is not true in other conferences due to the in conference teams they face.

A team must play their conference.
    A team like Clemson who schedules 2 SEC games every year is not like a UG who schedules the "Sisters-of-the Poor" with zero from the Power Five.

No georgia fans have posted on the Clemson 2018 page.

Jake Fromm did OK as a freshman.
    There is no reason to believe he will not be much improved this year and for years to come.
    Obviously Georgia can win any game with him.

On campus now is Justin Fields. He is a 6'3" 225 pound track star.
    Many compare him to Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, but Watson was not that fast. Few people are.

Here is a quote:
    "This is the best high school quarterback I've ever covered and that's not a statement I've ever made before," Barton Simmons, 247Sports' director of scouting, told CBSSports.com's Adam Silverstein. "I think he's a transcendent talent with a national championship up his sleeve."

I think Fromm will be the man all season and next season unless injured.
    On the other hand, Fromm is a pocket guy. Maybe later in the season as Fields gains experience, he will be asked to go into tough games when a mobile QB is needed.
    The kinda scary thing about Georgia is that this is a rather young team. Clemson is not. If the "O" line has a problem protecting Fromm in some games, Fields could be the answer.

I believe Saban has made changing QB when needed more possible for all teams after taking out a mobile guy and putting in a better passer in the middle of the National Championship game. That is one reason Saban is the best. With out that change, Georgia wins.

The deal for Georgia is they have two QBs who are better than any other QB in the SEC.

Both of our local teams are ranked pretty low on over-all strength of schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Good analysis! Not sure why we play those practice teams.

Strength of Schedule can be decided many ways.
    The FF committee looks at it and also out of conference play.
    SOS changes during the year. For instance, last year #1 Alabama beating #2 FS in the first game looked great until FS lost a lost.

Once my team beats someone, I hope they win every game (except for USuCk, can't pull for them even to help Clemson).

ESPN just released their strength of schedules. http://www.espn.com/college-football...cs/teamratings
    Clemson --- 15
    Alabama --- 30
    Georgia ---- 43
    OHS ---------- 49
    UNC ---------- 52

I don't know as to what teams other YC members like, but you can look it up here:http://www.espn.com/college-football...cs/teamratings

Interesting is Notre Dame at 19. That means if they win they are in.
    Michigan is #8?

Good teams that could get in due to weak schedule :
    Washington ------ 48
    Wisconsin ---------64
    Miami --------------50

or with a strong schedule:
    Texas --- 6
    USC -----14
    FS---------2
    LSU -----5

Immediately people will sayy they play in the SEC or the NFL or something. The SEC and the Big Ten have been down for a time except a few top teams. The other three conferences have been more good teams as shown in bowl play and cross play.

It will be fun in a couple months to see the experts release their preseason list. They are always wrong.

The ESPN power list linked above is a place they will start from and not prgress much beyond except to raise up a couple Blue Bloods who have not been relevant in years.
    I believe the polls should start off where they left off last year as teams earned that.

Notre Dame kinda pisses me off. They get too much credit even after years of average teams. Thier "tough" schedule this year is Michigan who has been a looser for years, USC who has been a looser for years, VT who has been a looser for years, and Florida State a team they will not beat.

My Georgia friends are not posting?
    Are they worried or just not optimistic?
    They are again putting together maybe the best recruiting class ever - as they did last year and most years. That 2019 class can't help them this year.

Do they need help this year - nope!

Why the silence guys?

Strength of schedule is fun to look at and opinions vary greatly. As you pointed out about FSU last year pre-season was a formidable opponent but as the season progressed, not so much. Strength of schedule does matter but it changes as the season progresses and after the regular season ends is when it really means something.

As far as the GA fans not talking, I think it is just quiet optimism. By most accounts the Dawgs are going to be better this year. They are missing some great players that are now in the NFL but the talent pool is deep. Jake Fromm is going to be even better and his back-up is being compared to Deshaun! The running back talent is incredibly deep even after losing two of the best ever! The OL is going to be solid and the Defense looks to be solid even after losing some great players.

Their out of conference schedule is weak but the game against USC early in Columbia can make you a little nervous with some young players starting. GA should win but the spread is a probably a little too big at 17 points. Games against Fl, TN, LSU, and Auburn are all for real. The Dawgs cannot afford to lose more than one game in the regular season and then win the SEC Championship game to make the playoffs in my opinion. Maybe though, they could go undefeated and lose close in the SEC Championship game and make it. It just depends on what the other teams around the country do...

JUSTIN AND DESHAUN

Not sure if this link will work but it talks about Freshman QB Justin Fields working out with Deshaun Watson.

https://georgia.247sports.com/Articl...eorgiaBulldogs

Saw the Georgia coach on TV at SEC Media Day.
    That guy is a charmer. I would be suspect buying a used car from him.
    That is OK. After Dabo was fired by Alabama, he sold Real Estate.

ESPN has Georgia favored to win the SEC. Next is Alabama and then no one.
    Miss State might surprise, but I would not bet on it.

JUSTIN AND DESHAUN

Not sure if this link will work but it talks about Freshman QB Justin Fields working out with Deshaun Watson.

https://georgia.247sports.com/Articl...eorgiaBulldogs
    I have not yet seen Fields in action, but experts say he is on the level of Winston and Watson.
    I don't see him taking over this season.

Fromm did everything last season to keep the job for 2018 and zero to loose it. As he has experience, no way is he not the man this season.
    Unless injured, he will be the man all season. As he may be the best QB starting for any team in the nation, that aint shabby.

Georgia keeps recruiting! I don't know if this link will work but here it is. They got a strong commitment from another 5 star running back today!

https://247sports.com/college/georgi...eorgiaBulldogs

Georgia keeps recruiting! I don't know if this link will work but here it is. They got a strong commitment from another 5 star running back today!

https://247sports.com/college/georgi...eorgiaBulldogs
    Ha ha, what Ga surely needed was yet another running back.