Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CLEMSON 2018 Football

CLEMSON 2018 Football

The 2017 season exceeded my (and most people's) expectations. To be honest, so have the last few seasons.
    I know all are waiting to hear what I think of our 2018 Team.

I generally start upset as many of the guys I know graduate or leave early to make some money. I always see gloom and doom. Then after Spring Practice my hopes go up, and by Fall kick off, am "all in".

It is too early today to know who is leaving.
    We already know a top lineman and a top receiver are leaving early. That list will grow.
    We know some excellent guys are graduating.
    Almost all graduate under Dabo, even the guys who leave early. He even brings back guys who have been gone years before he was coach and gets them back working on their degree.
    Graduating is a must for Dabo, and parents like that.

Teams change every year in CFB at all schools and is what adds to the fun.

This year I suspect only one guy from the "D" line will return. It was a great line. They are why we over achieved. As sad as that is, the 2018 line will be good.

This year the "O" line will also take hits. The "O" line of 2017 was the best at Clemson in a long time. I suspect it will take a step back, but still be OK.

Running backs, receivers, and secondary "D" guys will also change some, but I don't see any drop off there. I see all those to be better in 2108.

This time last year the projection by experts and fans was 2nd or 3rd in the ACC and hope to win 9 games.
    I believe this 2018 team will be pre-season favorite to win the ACC and win all the games. That rarely happens, but preseason I think they will be the Vegas favorite in all 12 games.

I don't see the 2018 team as better than 2017, but no one saw how good 2017 would be.
    This year they are expected to win.

I like to get out before the experts so my crap is not a rehash.
    I am most times wrong as I am not an expert.
    Actually, I am as I have over 50 years of spectator status.
    Most things are obvious, and experts will work those points to ad nauseam.

The QB is the most important position in CFB. This year Alabama won by changing in the last game. The guy who got them there was benched and a true freshman played. Clemson did not have that courage.

At a few colleges the QB is set.
    Fun facts I can think of:

-- Mayfield will finally be gone from Oklahoma after 9 years. They have a top guy ready to step in, but no one is Mayfield.

-- Georgia has Fromn, and a 5star who wants (deserves?) the job. Fromn keeps this job and of course improves as the teenager gets a year older.

-- At Alabama, Hurts took them to the final game for the second year and was benched for a freshman. Who starts next season? Saban knows, but we will not untill kick off.

-- At OHS after what seems like forever, finally Barrett leaves. OHS has 3 guys who might be better who are eager to battle for the job. Keep in mind that in the CFB Championship it was AL freshman against Ga freshman. OHS will be a better team in 2108, and they were not shabby this year. These guys are not freshmen.

-- Michigan has talent and a top QB is transferring in. Is this the year of Harbaugh?

-- Around the country are great QBs. Many like the guy at NCS are coming back.

-- Clemson is all we really care about, but I need a new post to have fun with it.

Clemson QB.

These guys below are Tigers, and I am a Tiger fan. I hate to say it, but hope some will transfer to give them the opportunity they have earned. I understand how had that would be as they are even bigger Tiger fans than am I.

Bryant led a CLEMSON team expected to win 8 games to the FF. The guy is very good. It is doubtful that one of the younger QBs could have done that.
    He will be back and improved. Coach Dabo will start him as that is who Dabo is.
    Only an idiot would disagree.

Bryant was not the best QB at Clemson this year. He was 3rd. He was the best choice to win games.

Now at CLEMSON are 5 excellent QBs. Bryant may be the one with the least talent. He does not have NFL talent. He can pass, but not on an elite level. He is the best runner by far. There will be a lot of "hype" about the best man plays, but he will start. Like in 2017, the team will win and Bryant may keep the job all season. It is the "DABO way".

If this happens, there is no reason to think Clemson will not again be in the FF.
    The running backs will be stronger, and the receivers will be improved, but underused. In 2017 the receivers were under used as Bryant is not a great passer. Diehards will point to numbers, but most of that is short pass and yards gained after the catch.

On roster at Clemson for 2018 are maybe the best receivers in CFB. Bryant is not a natural passer. Our running backs are good, but our receivers could be great.

"The WTF factor" -- the big deal is said to be for a kid to learn the play book and the speed of college. It is hard, but kids show it can be done every year, especially this year in in the FF. Mayfield was the best by far, but lacked the team around him of Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson. Alabama has not had a "GREAT" QB in a long time. Our kids (except for the new guy) know the playbook and could coach it. The WTF factor is being demolished.

CLEMSON BENCH --

-----cooper.jpgZerrick Cooper (GA) was the back up. He is better than Bryant. He is 6'2 and has serious skills. He can run and pass. He can start on most teams. 2018 will be his 3rd year at Clemson, but I think he will transfer to play. He does not want to, but it is best as he is never going to start at Clemson.

-----brice.jpgChase Brice (GA) is 6'2 and due to getting to Clemson in the Fall, was a red shirt. His high school record is off the chart. All were amazed when he chose Clemson. It would appear he be down the line (on the bench), but he thinks not. I know less about him, but I like his attitude. Now he has been at Clemson for a year and still believes he will play. His talent is as good as anyone - anywhere. I don't know if he will transfer. Like him, I believe the Tigers would be hard to beat with him at the QB. Spring practice will decide his future. I like him a lot. Imagine, this guy was a redshirt and could have started on most teams. He is better than both guys who were in the Championship game.

----- hunter.jpgHunter Johnson (IN) was 3rd string and now has a season under his belt. He is 6'4 and is sure to play in the NFL. He is a 5 star who can throw better than most pros, and certainly better than college players. He intends to earn the job. Will he be given the chance? I don't know. It seems doubtful as Dabo is sure to go again with Bryant out of loyalty if nothing else. He played well in 3rd string mop up duty this year. As to talent, he is maybe the 3th best ever to take the field at Clemson and he aint yet had a chance to make his stock rise.

-----tucker.jpg Tucker Israel (FL) is 5'11. As a 4th year guy he knows the system better than any QB. Injury has limited him. All he did in Florida was shatter all the state records set by guys like Teebow and Watson. He is a guy us Tiger fans are eager to see on the field.
    Is he the best ever passer at Clemson - maybe. He now has maturity and the experience of a coach. I am positive that if he were the starting QB, Clemson would go back to the FF.
    I don't think he has a shot in hell of being the starter, but if needed, all will be OK when ever he enters a game.

----- lawrence.jpgTrevor Lawrence (Ga) 6'6, is the new kid who came on campus this week. He is said to be the best player of a generation -> a god. Why he chose Clemson is a mystery. He did it early and is largely responsible for the great 2018 class as he has been recruiting. Guys want to play on his team. To read the hype, he is better than Watson, or anyone. He takes it in stride. He should start in 2018 (for the long term) so he can gain experience, but he won't. Bryant will. Can he rise above the talent listed above already here and experienced? That would seem an impossible task as Clemson is loaded, but experts say he is a football god.

The talent at QB for Clemson is -> the best any college ever had. Only one can play.
    I like (I love) all these guys. Everyone of these guys can lead the Tigers. There is not a wrong choice.

THERE IS NOT A WRONG CHOICE.

hope tucker wins it

Why did the best "D" line in America return and reject the NFL $$.

They were/are a team. They play as a group. They are all off the chart, but apparently the NFL graded none of them as 1st round picks.

They have returned to clear that misconception up.

The 2018 line will be: Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, and Austin Bryant all now a year older and with exceptional experience -- on a mission!

Now if these guys were the best as a team last year, who thinks this year will be a step back?
    Of course they will need backup. The Tigers thought all these were leaving. Maybe better guys them then are now kinda pissed. Guys chomping at the bit for playing time are on campus.

The "O" remains a fun mystery, but the Tiger "D" has never been better. Last year NFL caliber guys lined up and crushed. They are all back.

Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc expect to be great.
    This is a new and strange era for Clemson fans.

When you consider a small college back in the woods with much less $$ is doing this -> red flags go off as to cheating.
    I don't believe any of that is going on.
    I believe that by accident Coach Dabo found a job and is the real deal.

All who love college football understand the Tiger "D" this year might be our best ever.
    Today in practice our "O" ran all over them. Our "D" coach gets like a trillion dollars and is underpaid. Check back here later. I believe the Tigers are yet again a real team.

As a fan of sports over decades have seen very few who were exceptions in their sport. More often the "touted" ended up as only great.
    Great is good.
    At Clemson many who were not around would say Watson was much better than guys like Dantzler, Spiller, Watkins, etc.

Now on campus is a teenager judged by "experts" (what ever the F that means) to be an exception. On hype alone he would start at most colleges.
    At Clemson even if he is the best, he will not start.
    If the team struggles he might take over, but this team will not struggle.

Truth be told, he is 4th string and will have to do a
    lot to jump those ahead.
    Of the 4 our least talented will start and unless injuried will take us to 12-0.

25407263304_3748efbc20_o_zhhvpv_qfg1cm.jpg

Clemson failed to repeat as national champs because QB Bryant was less than Watson. Everyone in these parts are. Bryant won every gaame he played but the last one, so not too bad. I suspect this year he is improved and better at his craft than all QBs in the nation other than ??
    With him Clemson can return to the FF.

The big noise from fans is over Trevor Lawrence who many say is the best to ever take the field. I hope he is, but can a freshman take over this year?
    That makes no sense.
    In fact, two guys are ahead of him who are also excellent (maybe better?), and they are behind Bryant.

Lawrence taking over this season is at this point just media fun.

Spring Practice has closed for Easter and then there will be 5 more and Spring Game.
    What are my thoughts?
    Hell, all I know is what the media posts.
    I know this means less than the hype on it.

I do know Spring practice is great for the team and at times has helped an early kid who left high school early for Clemson hoping to get a leg up on others in his class.

Reality is that is is difficult for a kid to win a spot against vets at most colleges. All of these kids will of course be ahead of any player arriving on Campus in Fall.
    There is just too much too learn. Those guys don't care about your high school hype as they had that in the day.
    At a major college the best most "allstars" can hope for is to get on the field for a few snaps. That is tough on their high school ego until they line up and see reality.

This year the incoming class is small, but may be the best ever. These guys will play and become heroes, but none will start.
    The ability to redshirt is wonderful. At most schools these guys would be required to start. At top schools they can take a year to learn and become strong.
    They all want to play, and that is why they are the best of the best.

I don't believe any of this great class will start. I believe a few will earn playing time. These days kids don't come to college for 5 years and all expect to go pro after 3. That is very hard to do.

We have 17 new guys. Most places with experts that rank say CLEMSON was less. I disagree.
    With no experience, start these guys at most colleges and you will win games.
    https://www.tigernet.com/2018-Clemson-Football-Signees

None will start at Clemson. Some may earn a spot as injuries side line older players, and these guys gain experience.

It almost brings me to tears to know how special the guys on the bench are. They are just like the bunch last year. Their day will come.

The word out of Clemson by locals is this team is off the chart good in Spring practice.
    I'll go on record now and say Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher has no shot even at their house.

Media says we can't pass. That is a lie. I believe the best 3 passers in CFB are on our bench. No team can match our receivers.
    Being able to pass and passing are different things.

Dabo is loyal and all expect Bryant will be the guy.
    That means running the ball.
    As to the media we have two good backs. This is not like Chubb and Michel at Georgia. I doubt either will get a thousand yards. Behind the Clemson line they will be effective. A fun note is a 3rd back is a senior under the media radar who is having a great Spring. A couple years back he started as the #1 back but injuries took him off the field. Look for Choice to make some waves.
    Three strong backs and a QB who is really a back. Yep, Clemson will be running.
    I disagree with it all, but in reality, who can stop them?

If the "D" holds (it will), and the "O" keeps charging ahead - WTF?

The media believes a kid from Lousiuana - Travis Etienne will be special.
    I agree.

Coach speak:

“With Travis, I’m really seeing a concerted effort to use the technique that we’re trying to use,” Elliott said. “Travis is a contact kid, he’s a physical kid, but he’s still 195 pounds. He has a tendency to drop his shoulder, and I think now he’s buying into the fact that if I use proper technique, then I can get my whole body involved as opposed to just my shoulder.”

The bigger and faster back the media is ignoring is Feaster. I supect that will change by mid-season. This is a guy who can take the ball home from any place on the field on any down.

Back when Clemosn was great, QB Watson was tossing the ball as he chose.
    Often over looked was that Gallman was protecting him and on the side going over a 1000 yards. Gallman was not fast or a threat to run the field. All he did was drive the ball a few yards ahead over and over and over. Without him we don't win.

Okay, a Georgia fan checking in on Clemson. I think they will be outstanding again this year and will likely run the table during the regular season. I will be curious to see what happens if they get into a tough spot and are down at halftime by more than a TD, Will Dabo pull Bryant in favor or Hunter or Tucker. We all know what Saban did in that situation.

He pulled the starter from a game and put Watson in as a freshman, so yes.
    At any rate, even if not starting, these guys will play some.
    You left out Brice who is excellent.
    Tucker is a freshman learning the system. It is difficult for him to jump Johnson and Brice. If one of them gets the job sometime this season, Tucker might never start here.

Injuries also may take a toll. It is not likley the team will be afraid of Bryant running the ball. Like Taj Boyd, and Teebow, he will going between the tackles. Few QBs do that.

Do you remember when Teebow played backup? I can see something like that developing where Bryant is brought in to run.

I did not mention Brice but he is going to have a hard time beating out the others. Y'all keep coming over here and getting our great GA high school quarterbacks! I think Trevor Lawrence will be your starter before long and he will be "scary good". He will have to learn the system first but it will be shocking if he is not a star on the level of Watson! Probably next year but possibly later in this season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast