Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CLEMSON 2018 Football

One thing about the 2018 team is I like them.

I have liked most all our players over the years. You read about them in recruiting. You watch them come in at 17/18 and grow in to men. Many have arrived at Clemson with no stars or a few stars and gone on to great things not just in football.

This team has more talent than some teams have had, but at the core are the same great guys Clemson fans are used to.
    I have only been a fan for maybe 60 years since my Scout Troop came for a game at Death Valley. I have been in awe ever since.
    Some years we win more or less games, but the culture stays the same.

I will say that Clemson took a giant positive step when Tommy Bowden was hired. I was against it and lobbied for the return of Danny.
    We were doing OK, but Bowden took the "culture" up a notch. He hired "good men" not just good coaches as assistants.
    He started bringing in more good kids as opposed to just good players. I am a fan of Coach Bowden.

Dabo (hired by Tommy) took that philosophy up a notch and later another notch. Win or loose, real fans of Clemson could not be happier with this program. I would say if we go 6-6 this year, Dabo deserves a raise.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    RECEIVERS

Deon and RayRay went pro as juniors.
    Loosing two 5 star guys is hard and could kill any team.
    Where does that leave us as to receivers?

I see zero drop off.
    There are about a dozen capable receivers on the team. Lets look at a few.

Seniors:

-- Hunter Renfrow is on the small side and from SC. He was a walk on. Now everyone knows his name. He is always open. He never drops a ball, and did I mention he is always open. Defenders can't figure him out.

-- Trevion Thompson is a 6'2" guy from NC who is a baller. Most teams don't have a guy like this.

Juniors:

--Diondre Overton is a 6'5" guy from NC. He is already a star and this year could make him known across America. He is the real deal and will be playing on Sundays for years to come.

--Cornell Powell is 6' and from NC. He came to Clemson as the No. 36 overall player in the nation and has improved every year. He is now unstopable.

Sophomores:

--Amari Rodgers is 5'10" from TN. His job is to fill in for Ray Ray. Can he? As he freshman he showed that he can. He also appears to be the return guy, we have lacked for years. He will be a star this year and in on most plays. His upside is endless.

--Tee Higgins is 6'4" and from TN. His job is to fill the role created here by guys like Williams, Hopkins, and Bryant who now make more $$ than small nations. As a freshman he showed flashes that he can indeed fill their shoes. He needs more bulk and is on that. If he is not the best down field reciever in the nation this year, surely he will be close, and will be as a Junior. No matter, as we have him for two more years. This is the guy who can make a team great!

--T.J. Chase is 6'1" from Fl. He has off the chart talent and could start on 99% of teams. He will see a lot of action this year. Soon everyone will know his name.

Freshmen:
    No way a freshman can freshmen get playing time this season with the guys above?
    “The top two (wide receivers) that we targeted, we got,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said.

--Derion Kendrick believes he can get on the field this season. After Spring camp the coaches agree. He is 6'1" from SC. He got all the awards and stars last year in high school, was a national top 50 player. Word is he reminds coaches of Sammie Watkins.

--Justyn Ross is not yet on campus. He is 6'4" from Al and ranked the #2 receiver by Rivals.
    Coach Jamey DuBose said it is “scary” to think of the potential Ross has at the next level.
    Clemson prides itself on recruiting not just high-quality athletes, but high-character people as well. Ross fits that mold perfectly according to DuBose.
    As the best player in Alabama, pressure was incredible to roll with the Tide.
    “When he pinky sweared me, I was like alright, we’re going to get him,” Dabo joked. “You break the pinky swear, we probably don’t want ya (laughing).”

----------------
    -------

As to recievers, loosing Deon and Ray Ray a year early is not a good thing, but the Tigers are solid at WR. Look at the talent, the depth, and CLEMSON is an easy #1 in the nation at WR.
    Apparently I was wrong

Experts have listed the Top Thirty recievers and CLEMSON has no one who can catch.
    https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/07/top-30-wide-receivers-preview-2018

Apparently I was wrong

Experts have listed the Top Thirty recievers and CLEMSON has no one who can catch.
    https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/07/top-30-wide-receivers-preview-2018

That is amazing! These are national "experts"? Alabama, Clemson and Georgia have only one between them and Mecole Hardman is probably not Georgia's best receiver but he is very dangerous. However, the mighty Gamecocks have two in the top 30?

Clemson QB.

These guys below are Tigers, and I am a Tiger fan. I hate to say it, but hope some will transfer to give them the opportunity they have earned. I understand how had that would be as they are even bigger Tiger fans than am I.

Bryant led a CLEMSON team expected to win 8 games to the FF. The guy is very good. It is doubtful that one of the younger QBs could have done that.
    He will be back and improved. Coach Dabo will start him as that is who Dabo is.
    Only an idiot would disagree.

Bryant was not the best QB at Clemson this year. He was 3rd. He was the best choice to win games.

Now at CLEMSON are 5 excellent QBs. Bryant may be the one with the least talent. He does not have NFL talent. He can pass, but not on an elite level. He is the best runner by far. There will be a lot of "hype" about the best man plays, but he will start. Like in 2017, the team will win and Bryant may keep the job all season. It is the "DABO way".

If this happens, there is no reason to think Clemson will not again be in the FF.
    The running backs will be stronger, and the receivers will be improved, but underused. In 2017 the receivers were under used as Bryant is not a great passer. Diehards will point to numbers, but most of that is short pass and yards gained after the catch.

On roster at Clemson for 2018 are maybe the best receivers in CFB. Bryant is not a natural passer. Our running backs are good, but our receivers could be great.

"The WTF factor" -- the big deal is said to be for a kid to learn the play book and the speed of college. It is hard, but kids show it can be done every year, especially this year in in the FF. Mayfield was the best by far, but lacked the team around him of Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson. Alabama has not had a "GREAT" QB in a long time. Our kids (except for the new guy) know the playbook and could coach it. The WTF factor is being demolished.

CLEMSON BENCH --

-----Attachment 5708Zerrick Cooper (GA) was the back up. He is better than Bryant. He is 6'2 and has serious skills. He can run and pass. He can start on most teams. 2018 will be his 3rd year at Clemson, but I think he will transfer to play. He does not want to, but it is best as he is never going to start at Clemson.

-----Attachment 5709Chase Brice (GA) is 6'2 and due to getting to Clemson in the Fall, was a red shirt. His high school record is off the chart. All were amazed when he chose Clemson. It would appear he be down the line (on the bench), but he thinks not. I know less about him, but I like his attitude. Now he has been at Clemson for a year and still believes he will play. His talent is as good as anyone - anywhere. I don't know if he will transfer. Like him, I believe the Tigers would be hard to beat with him at the QB. Spring practice will decide his future. I like him a lot. Imagine, this guy was a redshirt and could have started on most teams. He is better than both guys who were in the Championship game.

----- Attachment 5710Hunter Johnson (IN) was 3rd string and now has a season under his belt. He is 6'4 and is sure to play in the NFL. He is a 5 star who can throw better than most pros, and certainly better than college players. He intends to earn the job. Will he be given the chance? I don't know. It seems doubtful as Dabo is sure to go again with Bryant out of loyalty if nothing else. He played well in 3rd string mop up duty this year. As to talent, he is maybe the 3th best ever to take the field at Clemson and he aint yet had a chance to make his stock rise.

-----Attachment 5711 Tucker Israel (FL) is 5'11. As a 4th year guy he knows the system better than any QB. Injury has limited him. All he did in Florida was shatter all the state records set by guys like Teebow and Watson. He is a guy us Tiger fans are eager to see on the field.
    Is he the best ever passer at Clemson - maybe. He now has maturity and the experience of a coach. I am positive that if he were the starting QB, Clemson would go back to the FF.
    I don't think he has a shot in hell of being the starter, but if needed, all will be OK when ever he enters a game.

----- Attachment 5712Trevor Lawrence (Ga) 6'6, is the new kid who came on campus this week. He is said to be the best player of a generation -> a god. Why he chose Clemson is a mystery. He did it early and is largely responsible for the great 2018 class as he has been recruiting. Guys want to play on his team. To read the hype, he is better than Watson, or anyone. He takes it in stride. He should start in 2018 (for the long term) so he can gain experience, but he won't. Bryant will. Can he rise above the talent listed above already here and experienced? That would seem an impossible task as Clemson is loaded, but experts say he is a football god.

The talent at QB for Clemson is -> the best any college ever had. Only one can play.
    I like (I love) all these guys. Everyone of these guys can lead the Tigers. There is not a wrong choice.

THERE IS NOT A WRONG CHOICE.

This post was in January and now we are near Fall practice.
    What is my beer telling me these days?

Instead of many great QBs who could lead Clemson to another ACC Championship, we are down to 3. I like that as I like all the guys and want them to have the best chance to excel. That means loving Clemson, but taking a role somewhere else. I hope they all win the job at their new colleges and dominate.

Left are three incredible guys in Brice, Bryant, and Lawrence.
    It is obvious the Tigers can win the ACC with any of them.

--Brice is excellent, I really like everything about the guy and his game. He can win us a National Championship.
    --Bryant already proved he can win the ACC. He has age, experience, talent, and is a dream come true.
    --Lawrence is touted as a football god with talent to spare. By all reports, he is not overrated, and that is scary!

Yesterday at ACC Media day Dabo implied that the team chooses as the guys figure it out in practice. The great DE Clelin Ferrell was there and said the team is solid behind Bryant as they all know what he can do.
    Fall practice could change that, but unlikely. The deal is Brice or Lawrence would have to be "much" better and they are not. They have more passing talent, but bring less right now in other areas as they lack experience.

I would start Bryant and have Brice as #2.

What will happen is Bryant will start against Furman, but Lawrence will get real snaps in the first half with the first team. Brice will clean up in the 4th quarter with the 2nd team.

At Texas A&M -- ????
    Bryant will of course start. If T-A&M plays like all expect them too, Lawrence could take over the job. If points are needed, he or Brice are the better choices. As the Tiger "D" is solid, points may be less of a deal.
    If this game is not as tough as expected, Bryant rolls on as #1 the entire season.

The "real deal" is not about these guys but about the CLEMSON team. Who (including all the media experts) will bet their house against this "TEAM' winning the ACC no matter which of the incredible guys are QB?
    How many colleges will start a QB better than any of these?
    The main worries as to the Tigers this season is certainly not about QB.

Fifteen days until kick off. I getting excited and nervous.
    I suspect yall are worried because I have not updated my Tiger Thinking for a couple days.

From what I read (and I read everything), Fall practice has gone well so far. No major injuries, and some who were banged up are returning to team. That is good especially in the secondary and at tight end where we are a little weak.

A surprise has been a tiny guy (175lbs) who just arrived on campus. He is a 3star running back from Georgia none of the Blue Blood colleges wanted -> Lyn-J
    Dixon. The Tigers are more solid at RB this season than any I can remember recently since maybe Davis-Spiller. In the stable are Choice(326yds), Feaster(669yds), and Etienne(766yds). No experts are saying Clemson will be killing opponents running the ball with these guys, but that is exactly what what I expect. I believe stopping the Tiger run game will be more than teams can accomplish. The Tigers are going to run the ball.

So where does Dixon fit in? Well he doe not, expect a red shirt so he can grow a little. No big deal as it is difficult for any freshman to start on a major team with this many proven vets.
    WTF has been going on in practice, and the teen has been killing it. Apparently he is tough and fast. He of course lacks knowledge of all the duties evolved (like blocking), but is turning all heads. All the players are impressed including the other running backs. With the new rule this year where players can do 4 games and still red shirt, so look for some fun from this guy.

Dixon gives the Tigers 3 guys who can take it the house on any play, and Choice is a killer in the Red Zone.
    To run the ball you need a good "O" line, and Clemson has that covered.

Got in an email, and yes I know Clemson has less talent than many SEC and Big Ten teams. No matter as I am a fan.
    I get excited during recruiting , and go over board when one commits to be a Tiger. I generally know much about them before they arrive on campus, then I keep up with them for a few years more. I know every player, not just the ones the media likes.

Coming to Clemson would make some kids cringe. Others visit and can't wait to join the team. Tigertown aint for all.
    Many high school football players are local stars and treated special. They have to abandon that to come here (or to some other colleges).

A huge difference in the "haves" and "have less" is not just good players, but many good players. A team with some good players can hang with a Georgia or a OHS for a while. As the game plays on, the "have less" teams get tired. The "have" teams are deep and keep players going in an out. Going into the last quarters, the fresher guys take over.

Teams like Alabama and Georgia have 5star players as water boys. They go 3 deep at most positions.
    Clemson has a couple of those top players and a lot of guys seen as less during recruiting that have developed. This 2018 Tiger team is deep and will not tire, nor have they for the last years.

Watch the games with that in mind.
    Good teams with very good players will wear down as games play out. It is not about an inspiring speech like in the movies. These guys are special, but bodies often can't do what the mind demands. The guys they are facing are special too, and there are just many more of them.

Every team most believe have a shot at the FF later is deep. The "blue bloods" always are deep with talent and why they are placed preseason at the top every year for decades.

Injuries happen on every team. Players can't play or play banged up. Football is tough. Coaches that have a bad season always 100% of the time bring up injuries. Teams like Texas and Florida can't say that. How may believe if the Notre Dame left guard goes down or even the Georgia QB is lost -- they can't can't win out?

As this thread is about the Tiger 2018 team - I will panic if/when players are injuried. The team will not as it will just be next man up for them. Just this week I read as to a Freshman who would start at DE for 110 of the 120 colleges as he is physically ready. Xavier Thomas a 260lb DE being taught DT just for this season. He aint big enough for that, but is all in as he would play less just as a DE this year.
    Can he fill in for a down here and there for Big Dex who is 350 and may be the #1 NFL pick? Nope, but can he wreck havok from there on a few downs?
    It is as much fun as when 10star DT Wilkins switches to half back< DE, or Line Backer on some plays.

Clemson is deep this year.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

Game day depth chart is out.

Bryant is the starting QB, no surprise there. I am sure the others will get a lot of snaps the first two games.
    The biggest surprise is Feaster fell to #3 RB. Choice took over 2nd slot. I did not see this coming, but the reality is Choice was #1 ahead of Gallamn two years back before he got injured.
    Feaster at third best should worry teams.

Freshman Carmine earned #2 slot at LT. The guy is a beast, but is a freshman.

From what I have heard out of camp, freshman Ross is likely to really cut into snaps at WR where we are deep. Apparently he has been the star of camp.

Great QB Tajh Boyd just posted:

"I don’t see a two-quarterback system working for an entire year."

Compared to his knowledcge of CFB, I am blind.
    History backs him up.

I remember "back when" at Florida Leek and Teebow kinda shared, but not really.

At this point (and at any point) Bryant has been the QB.
    I don't see that changing if for no other reason than it is not needed.

The deal is that Lawrence coming into a game completely changes things for a defense. Any team having that and not using it would be stupid.
    I expect every Tiger opponent to have to prepare for two different guys.
    How great is it to have options no other teams have?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123