Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLEMSON 2018 Football

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I did not mention Brice but he is going to have a hard time beating out the others. Y'all keep coming over here and getting our great GA high school quarterbacks! I think Trevor Lawrence will be your starter before long and he will be "scary good". He will have to learn the system first but it will be shocking if he is not a star on the level of Watson! Probably next year but possibly later in this season.
    Hunter Renfrow was a walk on and now is the most famous man on campus.
    Here is him talking QBs this week:
    ScreenShot004.jpg

renfrow.jpg

RECEIVERS

Deon and RayRay went pro as juniors.
    Loosing two 5 star guys is hard and could kill any team.
    Where does that leave us as to receivers?

I see zero drop off.
    There are about a dozen capable receivers on the team. Lets look at a few.

Seniors:

-- Hunter Renfrow is on the small side and from SC. He was a walk on. Now everyone knows his name. He is always open. He never drops a ball, and did I mention he is always open. Defenders can't figure him out.

-- Trevion Thompson is a 6'2" guy from NC who is a baller. Most teams don't have a guy like this.

Juniors:

--Diondre Overton is a 6'5" guy from NC. He is already a star and this year could make him known across America. He is the real deal and will be playing on Sundays for years to come.

--Cornell Powell is 6' and from NC. He came to Clemson as the No. 36 overall player in the nation and has improved every year. He is now unstopable.

Sophomores:

--Amari Rodgers is 5'10" from TN. His job is to fill in for Ray Ray. Can he? As he freshman he showed that he can. He also appears to be the return guy, we have lacked for years. He will be a star this year and in on most plays. His upside is endless.

--Tee Higgins is 6'4" and from TN. His job is to fill the role created here by guys like Williams, Hopkins, and Bryant who now make more $$ than small nations. As a freshman he showed flashes that he can indeed fill their shoes. He needs more bulk and is on that. If he is not the best down field reciever in the nation this year, surely he will be close, and will be as a Junior. No matter, as we have him for two more years. This is the guy who can make a team great!

--T.J. Chase is 6'1" from Fl. He has off the chart talent and could start on 99% of teams. He will see a lot of action this year. Soon everyone will know his name.

Freshmen:
    No way a freshman can freshmen get playing time this season with the guys above?
    “The top two (wide receivers) that we targeted, we got,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said.

--Derion Kendrick believes he can get on the field this season. After Spring camp the coaches agree. He is 6'1" from SC. He got all the awards and stars last year in high school, was a national top 50 player. Word is he reminds coaches of Sammie Watkins.

--Justyn Ross is not yet on campus. He is 6'4" from Al and ranked the #2 receiver by Rivals.
    Coach Jamey DuBose said it is “scary” to think of the potential Ross has at the next level.
    Clemson prides itself on recruiting not just high-quality athletes, but high-character people as well. Ross fits that mold perfectly according to DuBose.
    As the best player in Alabama, pressure was incredible to roll with the Tide.
    “When he pinky sweared me, I was like alright, we’re going to get him,” Dabo joked. “You break the pinky swear, we probably don’t want ya (laughing).”

----------------
    -------

As to recievers, loosing Deon and Ray Ray a year early is not a good thing, but the Tigers are solid at WR. Look at the talent, the depth, and CLEMSON is an easy #1 in the nation at WR.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; 05-14-2018 at 12:58 PM.

^^^BUMP^^^^

Tony, Mike, etc, I do all this work and no replies?

Defensive Line

Some fools say the Clemson front four from 2017 was not the best in college football.
    Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, and Austin Bryant were stout. I think all can agree as to that.
    They've all been part of three straight ACC titles and CFP playoff appearances. All were key to Clemson's victory over No. 1 Alabama to win the 2016 national championship.
    They were/are big, strong, and quick.
    They had more sacks than any team last season.
    They shut teams down. It was not the offense winning games, but these guys.

All good things must end. Loosing three of them to the NFL draft was expected. Lawrence was too young to go with them, and a solid guy to build the Tiger 2018 line around. Many say Dexter will be the the #1 NFL pick next year. I agree.

.....but hold the bus - - the 2 ends decided not to go pro. With hours to go, Wilkins said awe hell, I got my degree, but I aint leaving either.
    (Clemson is permitted to pay the premiums for up to $10 million in coverage "to protect against future loss of earnings as a professional athlete due to a disabling injury or sickness.")

The best CFB "D" line in 2017 is coming back a year stronger, and not that they needed it, but more experienced. The 2018 Tiger "D" line is 100% equal to many NFL lines except these guys are young and poor.

The thing over looked is "other guys". If these guys had left, Clemson was still OK.
    Actually, with Lawrence as anchor, the Tiger "D" was unlikely to step back from being top 10.

============

Seniors:

Chris Register from NC at 6'3" and 250 lbs has been solid. There has been no drop off when he entered last season. Baring injury to others he may not start this year, but would at any other college.

Richard Yeargin is 6'5", 260lbs and from FL. He has it all! He missed 2017 due to a car wreck but is back for 2018. In HS was a line backer and has grown to a DE. He has experience and on the field and a year helping coach last season.
    He will be turned loose for Fall practice and is chomping at the bit to play. He is an ALL STAR.

Albert Huggins is from SC and a man at 6'3' and 305lbs. He has lots of big time experience. He intends not to be overlooked (never has been) this season. Last week he was on youtube benching 500lbs. He has picked up the name "BEAST". He has been vital in the last 3 great years for Clemson, and he aint done.

Right there with Dexter you have a top ten "D" line.

Sophomores:

Xavier Kelly is 6'4" 265lb from Kansas. He has as much talent as anyone. He got injured on a moped, but is set to be a force this season. He will play in the NFL.

Nyles Pinckney is 6'1" 300lbs from SC. He got a few reps last year and had 18 tackles. He is too much to keep on the bench and will see a lot more reps this season.

Freshmen:

Josh Belk is from my home county in SC. He is 6'3' and still growing at 310lbs. Coming from a small rural school in a small conference did not make the radar of most big time programs. After a couple months on campus, he is seen as the heri to replace Dexter Lawrence. The coaches are impressed, and they have seen it all for years. I doubt he will red-shirt.

Xavier Thomas may be the best player on the Clemson campus. He is 6'3', 260lbs from FL. he was the HS #1 "D" player and #3 or #4 overall depending on where you look. In Spring practice he was more than advertised. He also played running back and is very athletic for his size. He is a good kid who came to learn. He will play often this season. That says a lot considering the talent and experience of those ahead of him.

KJ Henry is 6'5" and 240. He is from NC and growing. He was ranked the No. 5 overall player in the nation by ESPN. He intends to be dominate. I believe he will be.

Justin Mascoll is 6'4" at 240 from Ga. He is ranked the #48 player in the nation by ESPN. I don't know much about him yet but know he is intelligent as he chose Clemson over every other college in the USA.

There are others like Darnell Jefferies and Jordan Williams who have incredible size and talent and will become stars even in the NFL. I guarantee that because the Clemson coaching staff is the best in the nation.

So trying to sum up,

The list of guys above on paper and also proven on the field in places like the CFB, indicate the Tigers will once again field an incredible Defensive Line.
    Much of the credit goes to Coaches Hobbie and Venerables who only recruit guys of high character who are willing to work and earn reps.

Oh Hell, almost forgot to mention in closing that none of those guys listed above will be starting as the "Power Rangers" will be back. There is no need for me to put up a tiny profile as to them as they are already famous.

Here is Christian who I hope after his NFL career comes back to TigerTown as a coach. He is a grad student, and with time on his hands has been teaching at a nearby elementary school.
    He is the spirit of Clemson and a rare person.

SSG
    Clemson should be paying you for the excellent analysis you are providing. Us GA fans should be worried from what we are reading. Clemson will be strong no doubt. I personally like Dabo. I looked forward to the season. Win, lose, or draw, it will be fun!

Running Back

Running Back is a priority for 2019 recruiting - sorta.
    In the last years Clemson moves the ball short yardage often with a quick pass to a reciever. This is kinda like a running play.
    The QB has also been running the ball since the great Tajh Boyd led the way on that.

We had Wayne Gallman who was a bruiser. He won us a National Championship. We missed him a lot last year. He was not a long run threat, but got his yards every carry, expecially late in a game as he never wore down.

On board for 2018 is the same guys from last year:

--Travis Etienne is 5'11'' and 210 from LA. He is a Sophomore who got the attention of all national experts last season. He is strong and fast. Is he the best in the nation this year? Many say he is. He is working hard to improve when he does not have the ball. He is a star. He has power and can also take it in from anywhere on the field.

--Tavien Feaster is also 5'11 and 210 and from SC. He is a Junior and might be the fastest back in America, if not, too close to matter. His potential is off the chart. He is one of those rare few who can score quickly anytime he touches the ball . He will again be the starter, and I want him to be my favorite Tiger this season. I believe this is his year.

--Adam Choice is 5'9" and a bull at 210. He is a senior from GA and would start on 95% of teams. Actually he started at Clemson a couple years back but got injured. He is not injuried now. In this, his last year as a Tiger, intends to make a mark. In hard yardage when you need a hero he is the man. He is a hero. He is now a healthy man and ready to play ball.

--Darien Rencher at 5'8" and 190 has had a hell of a Spring Camp. He is a Sophomore and from SC. He will have the chance to break into the line up this season. He has made the most of every opportunity.

--Lyn-J Dixon is the new guy from Ga at 5'10" and 180. I expect him to redshirt and be a force in years ahead. He thinks not.

The deal seems to be like last year, Feaster and Etienne with Choice there anytime we get in a hard spot and need a hero. Last year they took us to the Final Four and all are now a year older, stronger and more experienced. That is happy reading.
    There will be no drop off as to RB in 2018, expect improvement. That is kinda scary.
    It is strange when your team has been in 3 straight FF and no one who is not a fan can name your running back. No matter, Clemson does, has, and will run the ball.

The Gorilla in the room is Senior Kelly Bryant from SC. He is a QB who can haul the ball. Unlike many QBs who only take advantage when an opening appears, Bryant can crush through the D line and run over people. He does it all day long every game. Stopping him is very hard. He is a QB and a RB. He is durable, intelligent and eager to win. Stop him if you can. Unlike the Jackson/Vick/Manzell type who were hard to put a hand on, Bryant is coming right at you for the few yards needed to keep the ball with his team.

Receivers run the ball
    Backs run the ball
    QBs run the ball
    Even a DT runs the ball:

CLEMSON will be able to run the ball this year. I guarantee that.
    This year makes me think on the years of Davis-Spiller as stopping the longer runs will be more difficult for opponents.

OFFENSIVE LINE

If you have one you will succeed. Building one is extremely hard as guys who can do this are more rare than at any position. These guys are the muscle and guts of a team.

For casual fans and those in Rio Linda, here are some fun jpegs as to it:
    oll.jpg

ol.jpg

To play "O" line you must be "cerebral". As I am cerebral could play that except even at my huge weight, much too small and much too weak.

Gone are All-ACC guards Taylor Hearn and Tyrone Crowder, as well as Maverick Morris, who played every position on the offensive line.

Back to anchor the line is Junior and Left Tackle Mitch Hyatt who started as a freshman (nobody does that). Of course few are a Hyatt. Instead of going pro, he came back. The top ACC Trophy winner is back. It is safe to say he is maybe the best in the USA. This guy is one we may never see the like of again.
    MitchHyatt_.jpg

Extremely important is that center Justin Falcinelli is back. The Center must be "THE MAN" for an O to work. We got that covered with this guy.
    He came here from Maryland when many colleges passed on him. Clemson coach Caldwell saw a star. Falcinelli is indeed that, just needed a couple years.

jf.jpgAR-170909312.jpg

Other positions are ?
    By that I mean the stable is loaded with talent and experience. The depth is good. Projecting the depth chart for this group is extremely difficult because there are several guys that can and do play different positions.
    This is an athletic group.

Left Tackle: Mitch Hyatt
    Sean Pollard or Jackson Carman
    Chandler Reeves

Left Guard: John Simpson
    Gage Cervenka
    Matt Bockhorst

Center: Justin Falcinelli
    Gage Cervenka

Right Guard: Noah DeHond
    Gage Cervenka
    Jackson Carman

Right Tackle: Tremayne Anchrum
    Sean Pollard
    Jackson Carman
    Cade Stewart
    Blake Vinson

The "O" Line will be improved this year.
    These guys are monsters. They are quick, strong and maybe the most intelligent group on the team. That is good as "O" line is very hard to play. The learning curve is maybe only greater at QB.

The fun guy to watch is freshman Jackson Carman from Ohio who will not be red shirting even though he could as we are solid. From all accounts in Spring practice, he is ~~ fun and impressive. As the season wears on and he gets up to speed on things, he will play more and more.
    jc.jpg
    The favorite line from ESPN experts these days is Clemson is not a one shot wonder. Jackson is here to help back that up.

The "O" line will be improved, and last year was far from shabby.

This is not a rebuilding year for Clemson.
    Under Dabo that means nothing as years that were "building" shocked us all. Now it is "the next guy up" at Clemson.

This year it is "the same guy up".

This is a veteran team with excellent leaders.
    20 Seniors and 14 of them have already graduated. These are not just guys, but guys who have played many times in the Final Four. Many of these older guys were All American or All ACC last season.

Next year when over 20 stars move on Clemson will be crap.
    Just kidding, it will be "next man up".

"Go Tigers"

The Spring line up is out and means nothing.
    Being #1 or less can mean the guy in front is hard to replace or just that kick off is a long way off.

The deal these days is that to play at the level demanded by coaches is hard to maintain in a game. "Starter" is a fun award, but not much else. Many guys will play. Those who have the hot game going will play more. At many schools the starters are way better and are needed to be on the field 100%. At Clemson, the bench is solid. That means that in the 4th quarter, the best are not worn out. Often the line between "best" and "2nd" is too thin to comment on.
    These days it is rare for a player not the QB to play on all meaningful snaps. Only the secondary seems to be weak as to depth, but that may be just on paper as these guys have yet to get a chance. They are eager.

Clemson has recently lost great QBs and that was expected and dreaded as they are all great guys as well as great players. Schools getting them are blessed.

I read Ga lost a guy this week which is not good as that leaves them short.

Clemson still has 4 guys who can take the field and win.
    The plan is to take on 2 new QBs this year. As it seems unlikely a new guy could arrive and play in the next 3 years, who would take the job?

Several guys claim interest hoping for an offer to boost their ego, but who would be willing to come?

To make the task of getting two guys even harder, one great kid has committed.
    Taisun Phommachanh from Ct says he is "all in".

What set the Tigers apart from the pack?

“Just their culture is different,” Phommachanh said. “It’s just different. I don’t really know how to explain it. If you go see other schools and come to Clemson, it’s different.

“I felt like it was the right spot for me.”``

Secondary

I need a couple posts for this area.

Today saw an article where corner is said to be a position where the Tigers are weak, thin and can be easily exploited.
    Anything is possible I guess. By definition every team has a weakest link.

One thing I think is that football is a team game. Before the corners are even attacked, the D-Line must be dealt with. That was tough to do last year and there is no reason to think these same guys will be a push-over this season.

Veterans Trayvon Mullen, Mark Fields, and A.J. Terrell will be back. Not many schools can top that. That is thin, but in no way weak as these guys are proven.

Redshirt freshman LeAnthony Williams and Brian Dawkins have a year sitting and learning. Both are guys with all star talent and are going insane waiting to get on the field come game day.

This week freshmen Kyler McMichael and Mario Goodrich get here.
    They would start as freshmen at many schools.

I know that the job of experts is to "know" and write as to what they know. I don't think they know crap if they believe teams are going to trash our corners.

Any YC reader can look back years and read how excited I was when a kid just up the road- linebacker Ben Boulware - got an offer.
    That came about late and after the DC was changed to Venerables by Dabo. All Ben did was be MVP when we won the National Championship (aside from helping get us into the game).

boulware_ben_478.jpg
    Ben is gone and Coach V says this year no one has yet earned a spot at Linebacker.
    Is this the time to panic - ?

Looks like neighbors are going to be ranked in the pre-season top 4 teams. Clemson number one or two and Georgia three or four. It is exciting to have two schools only 70 miles apart being in the national spotlight of college football. I will be pulling hard for both of them to make it into the playoffs and hopefully meet for all the marbles. If it happens, I will put my marbles on the DAWGS! Georgia's road will be harder than Clemson's.

Georgia's toughest games will be Auburn, Florida, LSU and South Carolina (because it is early season). Then they would have to beat Alabama in the SEC championship game. The Dawgs are for real and it can happen.

Clemson's toughest games are FSU, Texas A&M (there), South Carolina and NC State. The Tigers will be highly favored in every game and will certainly make it happen. The ACC Championship game will be an afterthought.

Lots of people are putting Ed's team (Ohio State) in the playoffs and that is a strong possibility but it is a very tough road this year with Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State in their way. I hope they make it this year so we won't have to put up with Ed's tantrum again!

I found this photo of Texas A&M stadium that Clemson will be playing on Sept. 8. Selfie was taken by a military pilot fly-over!

Aggies.jpg

I believe at Florida State will be the toughest game for Clemson. FS is a team that has talent to be top 5, and by 10/27 they may have it together under the new coach. I wish we played them early.

At Texas AM will be hard. The new coach (Jimbo) knows Clemson better than any other coach. He even recruited all the guys on the team. He has talent at A&M, maybe not as much as at FS, but plenty.

At Boston College might be a good game. They have a good thing going on there.

Tigers will crush the Lamecocks.

If the Tigers make it into the ACC Championship, I would guess Miami or VT to be there. The one there willl be in or near top ten by then.

I believe Clemson can loose to A&M and still get in.
    If undefeated and loose in the ACC Championship, might still get in depending on other teams.

I believe only the SEC can put a 2 loss team in, but it would have to be the SEC Champ. No other conference can put a 2 loss team unless things are not normal.
    It is not a stretch to say GA, AL, and AU could all end the season with 1 loss.
    The committee has shown they will take Alabama if possible.
    Maybe Clemson has also earned some cred and could go if 12-1 and a close loss in the ACC Championship?

Washington and Oklahoma may have to again fight it out for a slot as the Big Ten has some strong teams and tougher conference play.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast