Thread: GEORGIA VS. ALABAMA

Hybrid View

GEORGIA VS. ALABAMA

What do you think? I will give my take as a big fan and graduate of UGA. I am looking for a changing of the guard in the SEC. I am not sure if it will happen Monday night but I do think that there is at least a 50-50 chance. The Dawgs have a great stable of running backs and a very good quarterback that is no longer a freshman. He is 14 games in as a credible starter. He rarely turns the ball over and his command of the game is outstanding. He reads the defenses and makes good decisions. The offensive line has really come along late in the season. The defense is very good although they had a bad first half against an explosive Oklahoma team. They are very well-coached as evidenced by the half-time adjustments in the Rose Bowl. The players love the program and several NFL ready players came back for the senior season this year and more are going to do the same next year. Recruiting is already number one. The future is looking very bright.

Bama is still Bama and they are solid all around and will be hard to beat but I am convinced that the Dawgs are capable of pulling the upset.

My prediction is 25-21 Georgia.

Here is some encouragement from some of our local kids at Liberty Elementary. Big Ben is our Toccoa member of the Dawgs - Ben Cleveland - starting offensive right guard. very cute video!

https://youtu.be/IFioWKBJHHY

I'm going with Georgia 31-23

The game was good.
    Both teams played very good and both will be strong again in 2018.

The Alabama defense held the Georgia running backs down some and that was huge.

The big deal was Saban putting in a new QB who could pass. Dabo would never do that, and that is one reason Saban is the master.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    The game was good.
    Both teams played very good and both will be strong again in 2018.

The Alabama defense held the Georgia running backs down some and that was huge.

The big deal was Saban putting in a new QB who could pass. Dabo would never do that, and that is one reason Saban is the master.
    Yes they have nothing to be ashamed of but it is a very bitter loss. Could have very easily gone the other way. Several crucial plays decided the game.

Alabama really does need a place kicker! Also, lots of Bama fans think that their freshman quarterback should have been starting much earlier in the season. Seems like their quarterbacks are never great or flashy but this kid might be special.

Georgia's program is really on the rise under Kirby Smart. The kids love to play for him and they will be back. Next year might be very good if they can avoid early season losses due to starting some outstanding freshmen (5 star players). Often when you play young players you are vulnerable to an early season loss. Jake Fromm will not automatically be the starter since Kirby opens up every position to competition each week. Jacob Eason will very likely transfer since another 5 star dual-threat quarterback has signed and enrolled early.

I believe that Clemson and Georgia will both be in the mix again next year. I love college football!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Yes they have nothing to be ashamed of but it is a very bitter loss.

It is what makes it all fun.
    We loose a game and that is what it is. It is not as important as we make it out to be, nor is winning.

I get so intense my heart might stop.

The game goes on.
    Georgia and Alabama will be improved next year.
    The difference is that in recent years, Georgia was not in that conversation - now they are.
    Georgia looses a lot (Chubb, Michel) but guys are there. All teams loose guys as this CFB.
    Georgia will be ranked top 5 in August. Will they finish there - ? That is the fun.

I truly understand the pain of the loss. I am glad you are better able to deal with it than say - elgrau who has been missing here after OHS was ONLY 5th. I would take 5th any year and be thrilled.

CPT
    Tony wrote: "Several crucial plays decided the game. "

More like several penality calls decided the game: An obvious face mask grasp that would have extended a key Georgia drive was ignored even though the replay clearly showed an official staring right at the penality from about 15' away. No call. Later, a ticky-tac minor lingering of a Georgia player on the face mask of an Al player who was out of bounds and going to the ground before the split second grab happened was instantly called and resulted in a 15 yard penality and Al. instantly being within FG range. Clearly, the officiating crew wanted another Al. win.

But the loss rests most squarely on the GA defensive coach: after the 15 yard loss in OT that put AL (and their choking FG kicker..) on the 41 yard line with 2nd and 25, made it obvious that Al's ONLY hope was to go for the end zone on this down and the next as no way was their kicker making a 55 yard FG to keep the OT alive. GA brain trust should have been able to figure that out (maybe they did but players just blew the coverage anyway..) and put guys back at the goal line to defend against a pass into the end zone. That was Al's ONLY play and hope and they took it....GA should have had guys there to knock any passes into the end zone down (like any hail Mary...).

Oh well; we now know who the SEC conference winner is; who would have been the true National Champs (via a merit based system that uses play on the field as determination of who gets into the playoffs and not a biased committee of SEC loving good ol boys!).

I highly favor a playoff system based around the 5 conference winners and perhaps 1 to 3 wildcard teams consisting of teams from these 5 conferences having the best records but not winning their conference. For the only reason that the championship under such a system would be 100% based on play on the field and no one could bitch about that: win your conference and you are in; just like in the pros! No pro teams ever feel slighted 'cause they know that getting in is always dependent on how well they play and NOT based on some stupid biased committee that decides who gets in and who does not. Pro's would never accept such a flawed and Figure Skating like system...
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3