Thread: Extra Cat

Extra Cat

I have yet another extra cat. I live in a good place in SC. My neighborhood is occupied mostly by geezers on 1 acre+ lots. It remains half empty.
    My home is nice, warm and happy. I guess it is the low end of those here.

Assholes have dropped off cats and dogs here instead of takinhg them to the County shelter because - some people are assholes.

4 dogs and 3 cats have taken up residence with me here over the years. If I did not pretend to be an asshole to the Bride, she would take in a million. Being a realist, I come off as the bad, uncaring guy with no heart.

I am not that. I don't just bleed and worry, I do things.

I cannot take in another pet. I have 3 cats, 50 fish and take care of a million wild critters. I buy bird food by the truck load and not the cheap crap.

Great dogs who have moved in were:

'North' and 'Shores' who had been poisoned by the snowbird Ohio Yank nearby. After over a $1K in vet bills, both died early. Shores lived a few years and was fun.

'Tubby' was a very cute dog with short legs. She was great and no trouble. She lived with me for about ten years. She stayed mostly inside or in the driveway unless I walked up the road. She culd run like the wind, would not allow a lease. She loved everyone, even the cats.

"Rosey" came with hair falling off, heart worms and just skin stretched over bone. She lived at the vet the first month. She became the best friend I have ever had or will ever have. I miss her every day. She was positive she had a right to be with me 24/7. She was not really a dog, something more like me. I still grieve.

Now I have 3 cats, Percy, Prancy, and Crazy. I can't deal with more right now. I mostly live alone. The Bride visits here on weekends.
    The cats are different. They take turns demanding attention. One is on my lap now. I bring them in at dark, and Percy wakes me at first light to go outside to potty. The cats believe they control the house, and I guess maybe they do.

Now a small cat has been dumped here. It is scared to interact, and I guess is now feral.
    I really don't think it fair to my other cats to take in another.
    I put out food every night, and it shows just after dark to eat. I have ordered it a heated house for Winter, but doubt it will know to take advantage. The cats who live here will not allow it in the yard during the day, so it comes to eat after I take them in. I can't get near it.
    I am the only guy in a tie

CPT
    Cool, Bill.

We too have a new cat/critter: Marmalade, a 2 year old tabby female cat that we adopted from local shelter on the 1st. She is sweet and sassy and stands up to and takes vicious swipes at our 85 lb. dog (Apollo). He is curious but also keeps his distance from this smallish 8-9 lb. fireball!

Name:  IMG_0646[1].jpg
Views: 705
Size:  40.8 KB
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

ED, you are my MAN

A feral cat is disrupting my life and that of my friends -> Percy, Prancy, and Crazy.

My Bride puts out food for all critters no matter - . She is not here most days, and I now live alone as a hermit.

I prefer dogs, but now have cats. I go to incredible lenghts to keep them safe back here in the woods. I give my neighbors holilday gifts from Percy. The other two never roam. All around love Percy and fear the old crazy guy he lives with. I collect Percy every night with a tracker he wears. The other two stay near the house.

Someone dumped a young cat and for weeks he eats after dark on my deck. The cats already living here do not approve.
    No way I can take on another cat.
    Still, don't want him to be ~

My cats go beserk when he shows at dusk for food, but hunger is a strong motivator.
    I bring my cats inside at dusk as I fear Coyotes.
    Then the feral cat shows as he is hungry.

He is wild, living with no food and no friends.

Don't need a cat. I have one fixed female cat named Johnnie. I'm her only friend as she does not like cat friends. She is a black Halloween cat. She is kind of like me being a loner. She lives outside and brings me rats. She has a little feral in her which makes her tough like me. Thanks for the offer though.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Name:  cat.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  68.9 KB
    In your neck of the woods you need be careful about leaving out food.
    After all there are lions and tigers and bears ( Oh My! ) in your forest.
    Well perhaps no tigers but two out of three is bad enough.

Toad, K saw one of those here about a half mile from the house. She had stopped the car on the hill where cell phone can get a signal, and he walked by her car.
    Bobcats, wild hogs, coyote, and bear have been seen around here, but so far not by me (except Coyote). I have heard the Bobcats.

I made kinda friends with the extra cat. Got him to the vet for shots. He shows at night and keeps away all day as my cats hate him.

I like your signature with the chipmunk better -

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Five or six years ago I had a renter in my double-wide mobile home up the hill. (some renters are double-wide, but not this one). She had several cats, and one such as your recent arrival took up there. It wouldn't socialize with her other cats and she fed it outside. When she left, she told me she couldn't move the cat, so I told her I wouldn't let the cat starve. Now, after all that time, I still make daily trips to the wood shed where she lives and feed her. That cat will probably outlive me. I fixed her a box with bedding up in the top of the woodshed, and she sleeps in there no matter how cold it is.
    Name:  sara.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  43.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    Five or six years ago I had a renter in my double-wide mobile home up the hill. (some renters are double-wide, but not this one). She had several cats, and one such as your recent arrival took up there. It wouldn't socialize with her other cats and she fed it outside. When she left, she told me she couldn't move the cat, so I told her I wouldn't let the cat starve. Now, after all that time, I still make daily trips to the wood shed where she lives and feed her. That cat will probably outlive me. I fixed her a box with bedding up in the top of the woodshed, and she sleeps in there no matter how cold it is.
    Name:  sara.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  43.9 KB
    From day one I liked you.
    I never could understand why.
    Now I do.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Another reason is that I am also an eccentric old hermit, well, as much as my wife will let me.

The feral cat is ~

I have 3 cats and we are all friends.
    They let me live with them.
    Now that it is getting colder, like last Winter, Prancy jumps on my lap to keep me toasty as I watch TV. No lap warmer matches a cat.

My cats don't like the extra cat. Peace is no more. My Bride likes the cat and so ...> I have no input that is considered. She would take in a million cats and dogs which is OK, but she is gone most of the week, and I am alone with them. I am more of a "dog" guy. Percy believes he is a dog, so that helps.

The "feral" cat is now less feral. I cannot handle another cat. In a year yall will be reading one of those articles where feds stormed a home to discover the occupants had several hundred cats.

He (K named him "Devil") now shows up to sleep in the house. He hides and runs from the other cats who are intent on killing him. That does not stop him showing up. He is a force of one.

I was mostly a dog owner though I had a cat for years in school and after. My wife had cats when I met her but the died several years ago. We got a new kitten about 3 years or so ago and another about 18 months ago. the older cat is female and she is queen of the house. The younger cat is a male and we call him Booger. His name says it all. He does sort of think he is a dog. He comes when I call him and he plays. The queen follows me around so I will scratch and pet her as much as possible. I travel a good bit and they are good company for my wife. If I lived in a place where I had room and they could go outside I probably would have a few more and a dog. My cats have only been outside to be brought home and to do to the vets which is not often since my wife is a vet and takes care of them at home.

Update is the Feral Cat is no longer feral. He found a good home.

My Bride took him in.

The other 3 cats still spend much of the day trying to run him off.
    He flops down and screams for help.

My cat life is hell.