Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Final Four Contest

CPT
    Bill wrote: "I do have the picture. I'll send it back if you win this year."

No chance of that (me winning), Bill. Guess you're stuck with it! Perhaps you can use it for target practice....
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Not every team can reach top 4 or top ten.

That is why I prefer field play as opposed to experts sitting around with a glass of wine deciding who is ranked.

Every year USC, ND, Texas, Michigan, OHS, Alabama, and Florida are seen by experts as being top. They should be as to $$ invested and talent on hand, but most have been less in the last decade due to not having a "TEAM". Football is a team game, and a "team" is hard to come by.

I am willing to hop on the bandwagen only after teams show me something, unlike real experts. For years now, USC, ND, Texas, UNC, TN, Florida, Miami, Michigan, etc have let all down but get ranked preseason because ~

Again this year these teams were placed high due to talent. Many get teams that treatment every year and ??

This week USC unexpectly lost. A ranked LSU was beaten by Troy. Florida looks shakey again.
    The TN coach will now be fired. The UNC coach should be, but?

Expert Polls are fun, have real impact with the committee, but ??

Polls are how experts feel. I prefer field play.

Experts (and me) would say Alabama is the best team. No way would I have put up a USC, Michigan, Florida until they show me something. On paper is great, but only field play counts.
    On the field, CLEMSON has now beaten 3 top 15 teams before October begins. Never before has than been accomplished. They deserved to be ranked #1 last week and 2 weeks back. In my opionion as they are National Champs and should be ranked #1 until beaten as they earned it on the field.
    Are they the best team? That is unlikely, but to date have earned the rank.

Can a one loss team make the Final Four?
    Actually, a one loss team most times wins the National Championship.
    Going undefeated is rare.

As to FF, the deal as to the one loss means a lot.
    Two losses makes it very hard.
    It all depends what is going on in other conferences.

Winning the conference is a plus, but not required.
    Politics will put in an SEC team and if possible one from the Big Ten. It is difficult to believe these two would be left out. The Big 12 can be left out and has been - both times.
    The Pac 12 is hard to leave out due to the huge TV market.

The ACC could be out this year. In the first years that has not been possible.
    In 2014 Florida State was huge on the field and in the media with the antics of their QB.
    In 2015 CLEMSON went undefeated.
    In 2016 CLEMSON was ranked #2

This season Florida State is having problems, Clemson is a surprise but has a long road to travel. No other ACC teams have the required schedule or team to make it - in my opinion.
    The ACC Champion could be left out.
    - If Miami wins out, their only win of importance would be maybe over a top 5 Clemson in the ACC Championship.
    - VT has one loss and no big game unless a rematch with Clemson.
    - Lousiville has no ranked games left, even Florida State is less now.
    - Florida State has left a ranked Loiusiville, Clemson, and Florida. Their loss to Alabama is small problem, and then the Championship game against a ranked team. They still are in.
    If you believe in history all teams mentioned will loose a game. This could be the year the ACC is left out.

My next adjustment!
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Georgia
    Penn State

SSG
    No adjustments yet. GA still has to get by FL & Auburn. Alabama and Clemson still in the big hunt. They scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    No adjustments yet. GA still has to get by FL & Auburn. Alabama and Clemson still in the big hunt. They scare me.
    Yes, it is a very tough road for the Dawgs! FL and Auburn are both strong and not guaranteed. If GA makes it to the SEC championship, Bama will be the favorite but it could happen! Clemson is holding up strong and will not give up the title without an incredible fight.

Georgia is like I posted here in the off season.
    The best running backs in the nation.

The thing in their favor is that they do not face Alabama until THE SEC Championship - so one game means they are in or out of the FF. I like their chances.

I disagree with Tony as to Clemson. This is not a team fighting to hold on, but a new team. All the old guys left. I can see this as a team to fear next season. On the flip, Dabo seems to take pride in making me look the idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

I disagree with Tony as to Clemson. This is not a team fighting to hold on, but a new team. All the old guys left. I can see this as a team to fear next season. On the flip, Dabo seems to take pride in making me look the idiot.
    It is a new team but still great players and the same culture that Dabo has created. As I watch Clemson crush those three highly ranked teams, Dabo will succeed in portraying you again! :)

If this is wrong as of today, let me Know.

---elgrau
    Alabama
    Florida State
    Ohio State
    USC

---Mike Kelly
    Georgia
    Miami
    Washington
    Oklahoma

---RobertM
    Alabama
    Clemsom
    Michigan
    Washington

---TOAD
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma State

---Agent Orange
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    Washington

---Rorschach
    Alabama
    Penn State
    USC
    Clemson

---Chilipeps
    Alabama
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    USC

---Snoop65
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Washington
    Oklahoma

---Tony Presley
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Georgia
    Penn State

Lots of time to join the contest or to change your picks. When you re-pick, you give up your spot in the pecking order which is very important.

USA TODAY COACHES POLL - Oct. 8

Coaches Poll is out. Going by these experts, contest winners as of today are:
    Robert 3
    AO - 3
    Snoop - 3

RANK TEAM RECORD POINTS 1ST VOTES
    1 Alabama 6-0 1617 57
    2 Clemson 6-0 1568 8
    3 Penn State 6-0 1454
    4 Washington 6-0 1404
    5 Georgia 6-0 1380
    6 Wisconsin 5-0 1243
    7 Texas Christian 5-0 1229
    8 Ohio State 5-1 1146
    9 Washington State 6-0 1117
    10 Miami 4-0 1003

Ed 1
    Mike 1
    Robert 3
    Toad 2
    ao 3
    Ror 2
    Chili 1
    Snoop 3
    Tony 2

I saw a few games, checked in on a few others from time to time.

CLEMSON looked good. The score does not reflect the game at all. When the QB went down, freshman Johnson went 5 for 5 and a touchdown playing with the second string. Johnson is the 3rd string QB. Clemson can win with either of the 3 QBs as neither is a lot better than the others. All are good and could be starting most places.

NCS is better than anyone thought. How they lost to USuCk is hard to imagine. The coach has gone from being in his last year to a hero. They have 3 ranked teams left to play and have beaten 2. The schedule is good for them. They get CLEMSON at home. Right now this team can make the FF easier than most.

This was the type game you would expect Oklahoma to pull out, but they came up short. They are still in the hunt, but can't loose again. The big win over OHS is huge for them now.

Georgia is much better than most thought. To me it looks to be them against Alabama or Auburn for the FF slot. You can even see Georgia and Alabama both getting in if both go 12-0 before the Championship Game.

Where did TCU come from?

OHS was rolling as was Washington. The Pac 12 and the Big 10 are still hard to figure.

A big deal was the FS - Miami game. It was the best game of the week.
    Florida State played just a tad better but came up short in the last 6 seconds. The Miami QB was the difference. He was only 19-44, but seemed to in charge and was the difference.
    Florida State is now not going to the Conference Championship game, but may be the best team in the ACC as the new QB keeps improving. The rest of the team is solid.

Ok. It is time to make a change. I have given up on Michigan. I have lost all faith in their offense. I still think they will beat Ohio State at home but don't think they can handle Penn St on the road. My delima is deciding between Georgia and Penn State. I do not think both Georgia and Alabama will make the playoffs. So I am going to have to go with Penn St. My new final four are

Clemson
    Alabama
    Washington
    Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    This year as Linus goes to the Pumpkin Patch late, all picks must be in by OCTOBER 27th at midnight, no exceptions. From then until now change your Final Four as often as you like.
    Latest Top 25 Coaches Poll

1 Alabama 8-0 1600 64 1 0 1/1
    2 Penn State 7-0 1520 0 2 0 2/6
    3 Georgia 7-0 1463 0 3 0 3/15
    4 Texas Christian 7-0 1385 0 4 0 4/NR
    5 Wisconsin 7-0 1343 0 5 0 5/12
    6 Ohio State 6-1 1244 0 6 0 2/9
    7 Clemson 6-1 1173 0 8 1 2/8
    8 Miami 6-0 1172 0 7 -1 7/18
    9 Oklahoma 6-1 1084 0 9 0 3/12
    10 Notre Dame 6-1 951 0 16 6 16/NR
    11 Washington 6-1 931 0 12 1 4/12
    12 Oklahoma State 6-1 926 0 11 -1 7/14
    13 Virginia Tech 6-1 818 0 14 1 12/22
    14 South Florida 7-0 730 0 13 -1 13/21
    15 NC State 6-1 683 0 17 2 17/NR
    16 Washington State 7-1 636 0 18 2 9/NR
    17 Central Florida 6-0 561 0 20 3 20/NR
    18 Michigan State 6-1 560 0 19 1 19/NR
    19 Auburn 6-2 455 0 21 2 11/21
    20 Stanford 5-2 367 0 22 2 14/NR

Thia year is becoming more fun every week.
    My thinking:

- Alabama and Georgia could go undefeated until the SEC Championship game and both get in. It would be difficult to put another 11-1 team ahead of them.
    That puts a strain on the rest of CFB.

-Undefeated Power Five is in. Penn, TCU, Wisconsin, Miami have control.

- In the ACC, if Clemson, Miami, NC State, or VT win out, they are in. Clemson has the best shot due to big wins. Any team not winning the ACC Championship is out.

- In the Big 10 it is wide open. Michigan is out. That leaves 4 teams, and it is hard to decide. One team will be in.

- In the Big 12 TCU and Oklahoma look good with OKS right there at this point. Oklahoma has the big win over OHS to make up for their loss.

- In the Pac 12, thigs are not good. No team is standing out. Washington and Washinton State are left, both with one loss. Could either jump a one loss (to Alabama) Georgia or vice vesa? I think not.

- The fly in the ointment is Notre Dame. TV will do anything to get them in the mix of the FF. To be honest, they have gotten into the mix all on their own. A one loss ND messes up all thinking. They have games left against 3 top 20 teams and their one loss is to Georgia. If they win out, they are in.

Stop the truck, that is too many "IN" teams.
    Most of it will play out on the field as teams sprint toward the goal. This is about careers and many millions of $$$. 2017 has turned out to be very good.

Some of these top teams will be playing each other.
    - Penn vs OHS
    - CLEMSON vs NCS
    - Wash vs WS
    - Oklahoma vs OKS
    - Oklahoma vs TCU
    - MS vs Penn
    - MS vs OSU
    - Miami vs VT
    - Miami vs ND
    - ND vs NCS

Then come the pesky conference championship games.

My final picks.... This thing is very difficult and it can go lots of ways. I am out on a limb! I still don't trust Penn State. My dream matchup of GA-Clemson is still possible!

Here goes..... Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson. Yes, 2 SEC teams

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast