Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Final Four Contest

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post

Question: If one changes only one team, do these "new picks" ALL get reset to that date, or just the one replaced team? i.e., if I were to change the one team of my four that is not currently "in", would that then put me behind RobertM and AO or still ahead of them? Not that I'm contemplating a change; just needing a rules clarification for future decisions...

Ed you spend way too much time trying to find loopholes and make trouble. Just enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I have my first adjustment. I did not include my team Georgia in my first picks because I was afraid to jinx them. I now believe that it is very possible. Georgia vs. Clemson in the final!

Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Georgia
    TCU
    As I have posted early and often, Georgia is in a good spot. I don't agree with replacing the coach, but the team is solid.
    Georgia is in the catbird seat to win the division and then one game from the FF. Look at last year. Clemson won the ACC Championship from VT at the very end of the game on an interception. The Georgia running game is the best in the nation.

It would be INCREDIBLE for Georgia and Clemson to meet in the FF. Many Clemson players are from Georgia. Clemson has proven that Georgia boys are better than Alabama and even Florida boys.

Do you really believe 2 teams will get in from the big 12 when todate none have made it? Please expand on that.

CPT
    From "the rules":
    "In case of ties, the earliest post wins. (this is very important)"

But not important enough to simply clarify what constitutes a "post"? Is it (the posting date/time) for each individual team (i.e., is it when each team is 1st included in your pics and that date/time holds as long as you don't drop that team from your four), or all four teams as a unit (so whenever you make a change, ALL the team's posting date/times are reset to that new posting date/time)? Which is it? (the former or latter...just answer 'the former' or 'the latter'). Thankyou!

This is not "making trouble", just in the spirit of transparent rules and clarifications that avoid after the fact interpretations that always leads to someone feeling slighted. Not about winning (a prize); just about understanding the rules so that 'the game' can be played fairly and free of disputes and that exercising this key provision of the game is done based on what the rules are and not what one ASSUMES them to be... It's a simple request...and 'the rules' are not clear as to which it is.

This for the benefit of all....I'm not changing my pics, but others are.
    Supermen....wage a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    As I have posted early and often, Georgia is in a good spot. I don't agree with replacing the coach, but the team is solid.
    Georgia is in the catbird seat to win the division and then one game from the FF. Look at last year. Clemson won the ACC Championship from VT at the very end of the game on an interception. The Georgia running game is the best in the nation.

It would be INCREDIBLE for Georgia and Clemson to meet in the FF. Many Clemson players are from Georgia. Clemson has proven that Georgia boys are better than Alabama and even Florida boys.

Do you really believe 2 teams will get in from the big 12 when todate none have made it? Please expand on that.
    Yes, I forgot to look at conference! I just saw two teams that looked very strong. It is not likely at all that both would get in. I will send in another adjustment after this Saturday! Go Bulldogs and Tigers!

ED and any like Ed if there are any -

You are being a shit. You played the last two years and know the rules.
    You do live near Rio Linda and you are getting old, so I will ~

Ed, (and people like Ed)
    This is a simple and fun contest.

You make a pick of four teams.
    You are allowed to repick a team of four any time before the deadline.

As there are only four, the deal of who picks/changes first is the entire contest strategy.
    It has been fun and unprediciable in the past, and I suspect will be again. It seems simple as most pick the same teams, but it aint.

Ed lost last year because after weeks he bailed on his home team. He will of course respond to this trying to cause a problem, but that is just the fun of "ED". ED knows that if he believes he is being cheated in any way YC will send him all the prizes he believes he was cheated out of. Hell, I'll mail most anything to Ed as he is my friend -

CPT
    U R 100% wrong, Bill. Zero thoughts about last year...I honestly don't even remember how or where I placed....

I'm competitive is all and why waste time "strategizing" if one is unclear on the rules??

So thanks for clarifying (looks like dates/times do get "reset" for ALL teams in ones group of four even if only one team of the four is changed). That's totally cool with me....either way would be. Not a matter of which I preferred or thought to be "correct". I simply wanted a clarification of this "most important" facet of the game so that I could play this game "correctly".

That said, I'm surrendering this season to the "experiment" of just going with my original four for the whole year (that the 'experts' said had the highest chance of making it into the FF. Not that I think that's a 'winning' strategy..nor that the so called experts have a clue as to who WILL make it!). But, for sure, in the case of ties, I'll prevail... Also, I don't have to pay any attention to the rankings and thus have more time for other things ! Good luck to all!

I dedicate this season to Hugh Hefner, who will now spend eternity on top of Marilyn Monroe!

CPT
    Still playing...maybe you just don't like my strategy?

Please do not use a cute little beagle when making fun of Ed. Use a goat please. :D

Please do not use a cute little beagle when making fun of Ed. Use a goat please. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop65 View Post
    Please do not use a cute little beagle when making fun of Ed. Use a goat please.
    Goats are nice, everybody likes goats.
    goat.jpg

At this point for me picking the FF remains a mystery.

What I have seen the first two years is that the committee is hard to predict.
    They claim to have guidelines, but don't seem to use them.

What criteria does the selection committee use to rank the teams? From their website:

The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

I believe they have done a good job the first two years, but it seems like they fumble along disreguarding their own criteria. I am a CLEMSON fan, a Big 12 fan would disagree.

Politics should not count, but of course they do. The shocker last year was passing on the Big Ten and Big 12 Conference Champs and going with OHS. They placed OHS at #3 over The PAC 12 Champ Washington. That proved to be disaster when OHS met CLEMSON (31-0). It made the committee look bad, very bad.

While it is flirted with, no team at this point out side the 'Power five" conferences except a Notre Dame will get in - ever. Strenght of schedule rules them out.

There are 5 'Power Five", so each year one conference must be left out (one reason why I never want to go to more than 4). In the first two years that has been the Big 12 due to no real Conference Champion. One should emerge this year, right now it looks to be Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or maybe Texas. Last year the Big 10 Champ was also left out.
    Does this mean Conference Champion means squat? I think it means a lot, but less now.

Back to "strenght of schedule". What does that even mean? Who decides it? At the beginning of a season colleges decide who to play. The best they can do is line up historically good teams as this is done years in advance. If a team lines up cupcakes, I think they should not be given credit for a win as opposed to a team loosing to a top team. A "win" is a win, but all wins are not the same. Should a close loss by Auburn to Clemson hurt as opposed to a Clemson win over Kent State?
    As the year wears on, some teams highly ranked will fall away replced by others. Exactly when is this "Strenght of Schedule" play factored in?

Things like head-head mean little as most teams do not meet out of conference. Last year OHS did play the eventual conference champion -> Penn stae and lost. Both had a conference record of 11-1 and OHS got the nod. That may have been best, but it means "head-to-head" means squat.

That leaves "common opponents", and I don't tink there is much of that outside of conference play.

I think the politics in the room of experts count a lot. I am no saying there is any cheating or even anyone doing something they believe not "right". I think they do their best. I think they do a good job.
    I do wish the criteria used to select teams was more solid and more transparent. I wish raw computer stats had a bigger role, but that was the old BCS system (which I also thought did a great job).

At the end of the day, picking who the the Final Four will be is hard.

goat2.jpg

..I honestly don't even remember how or where I placed....

That said, I'm surrendering this season to the "experiment" of just going with my original four for the whole year (that the 'experts' said had the highest chance of making it into the FF. Not that I think that's a 'winning' strategy..nor that the so called experts have a clue as to who WILL make it!). But, for sure, in the case of ties, I'll prevail... Also, I don't have to pay any attention to the rankings and thus have more time for other things !
    I hate you are too busy in retirement to play with us. I am positive you are not just being cranky, just being too busy.

In 2016 you did not win a prize because at the last minute you jumped off the bandwagon of your favorite college OHS, and they got in.
    You would have been a prize winner in 2015 had you stayed pat, but not "the" winner.

Picking early and standing pat is a good strategy as there are only 4 points. As the season plays out, better picks can be made, but you loose your place in line.
    Todate only adjusted picks have won, but all made adjusted picks.

Your "stand pat to keep your place in line" is a good strategy.
    ---elgrau
    Alabama
    Florida State
    Ohio State
    USC

Right now that looks very good. None of those teams are out.
    You are free to do other things and ignore the fun of playing along with friends in this contest. Your strategy may even win you a knife -> whoopie.

You will miss out on the fun of playing with us week to week, and complaining with us week to week as to the crazy committee, but like you said - too busy to play.

CPT
    Bill wrote: "This is a simple and fun contest." "Ed you spend way too much time trying to find loopholes and make trouble. Just enjoy the game."

Maybe you should practice what you preach, Bill. ALL I remember from last year's contest is your rejection of the 1st prize that I offered you re my "pledge" to provide the winning prize of a signed U. S. Grant "portrait" for the contest. Maybe this was an early precursor of the rejection of our past heroes and statesmen that liberals (like you? ) are so busy feigning fake "outrage" over recently... You claim this to be a "simple and fun contest" but your rejection of the $50 bill (i.e., a "signed U. S. Grant portrait..") that I sent you as the winning prize belie this claim...and I ended up (happily) sending you an ACTUAL signed U. S. Grant portrait to evidently satisfy you after you rejected my "fun" 1st prize effort. Peace!

U R 100% wrong, Bill. Zero thoughts about last year...I honestly don't even remember "last year"....

I remember from last year's contest is your rejection of the 1st prize that I offered -- a signed U. S. Grant "portrait"
    Your memory seems to be selective -is that old age?

I do have the picture. I'll send it back if you win this year.

CPT
    Too funny, Bill! You (jokingly..?) claim to be a liberal, but now I'm starting to believe it as you seem to like to use a tool that's right out of their "playbook": "Always accuse an opponent of wrong doing that you yourself are guilty of" (re Bill wrote: "Your memory seems to be selective (Ed) - is that old age?").

Are you being "memory selective" and forgetting that you did indeed mail me back the original 1st prize (a signed portrait of U. S. Grant - aka a $50 bill) that I awarded you with a note from you saying "You can do better than this...". I THEN mailed you an ACTUAL signed portrait of him. I mean I'd try and forget this act as well, but you did it (and I can see the humor in your actions, but don't deny or "forget" that it happened; you're a much better man than that!). Mahalo!

As to the other above non-sense: I went back and REFRESHED my memory of last year by referring to the 2016 FF contest thread and PM's and was thus reminded of the 1st prize rejection!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast