Thread: BRANCH

BRANCH

I am a backyard birdwatcher.
    It is a hobby that fits well with my other hobbies, beer, music, and being lazy.

From my tree top porch chair I look over three garden ponds, the biggest is 4000 gallons. Digging those in seems silly to most as my yard backs up to very large lake (950 mile shoreline).

I have had my 'Branch' in since 2012. Birds are as attracted to it almost as much as I am attracted to "Honky-Tonk women". These days I am a spectator both places.

My 'Branch' is actually 6 sections and not cheap. They sell by the section and you can add as many as you require. I mounted it quickly with no thinking, and it has needed attention over the years as I kept saying I needed to rebuilt (but too lazy).
    The 'Branch' shames my other water features as to attracing birds. Hell, it shames my thousands of feeders.

I have had 6 sections going since 2012. There are 3 different types of sections. It is very versatile and one could start small and add on. You need a slight hill. I had to make one as my yard slopes the wrong way.
    The problem is the units have little tolerance if not on the proper incline. I have had them on dirt. As they sunk or shifted, I had to ocassionally punch in bricks and etc to keep them from rear overflow.
    This week my water line busted, so I took it all up and did a better job.
    The answer I came while sleeping this week (I sleep and all is revealed to me like magic). I placed them on a board (I used 2X8X8 today). That solves many problems, so unlike me, do that on day one. Now I have to replace some flowers I destroyed at the rear. I would rather be on the porch with binos and beer (well actually I am).

Is this a good system for you? I don't think it works for most, as most don't install it right. Considering the price and how good it has been for years as to attracting birds, it has been a bargain buy for me.
    Did I mention it is the best bird attactor I have - including my thousand feeders.
    Name:  branch yc2.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  branch yc3.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  77.6 KB

Here is the real story.

The pond at the end of my Branch went dry. I filled it and it went dry.

That meant the buried water line was busted.
    I was finally forced to rip it all out. I have "getting to that" for years, but kept propping it up to keep it level. I had no clue when I put this in back in 2012.
    In my defense, these must have been engineered by a guy Elgrau fired. They are hard to find now.
    They are lab perfect and at a good price of about $75 a section, but the tolerance for error is too big for outside the lab. Water is a tricky bitch. I been playing with pumps and water flow on a tiny level for 50 years.
    Still, for the $$, these are a bargain for things of this type.

My first thinking was to run 2X4s up both sides. While sleeping, saw that was crazy as one middle board was best and much easier. I am not clever or smart, but while sleeping or drinking things arrive in my brain. I have learned to count on that. Inside me is a helper who sees all better than me or experts on the web. Are any of yall blessed like that?

As a hermit, don't travel much. I loaded my Jeep with trash to haul off (my weekly fun trip). I had a long list of items for Lowes including the needed branch board. My battery was dead. If I was a firm believer in GOD as opposed to "hoping", this would have been a sign. Instead it just meant I left my JeeP door open too long as my cat likes to lay in there. (can that drain your battery or was it GOD?)
    I put the charger on and put the trip off a day.
    Today it cranked up. I love my JEEP!

Got my board and other crap, and all is good. I mean really!! Surely GOD wants the birds to be happy. I know Mary Poppins does.