Thread: Summer Tanager

Summer Tanager

-- see our YC Bird Blog -->

http://YardCrapBirds.com
    I am the only guy in a tie

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

I have at least one male / female pair eating the ripening figs on the tree just outside the kitchen window. There may be more than one set. It is hard to say as they tend to stay under the big leaves as much as possible.

They first caught my eye when the afternoon sun caught the female at just at the right angle to make her look a dazzling bronze / goldish color. These are some very striking birds once you manage to pick them out of the foliage.
    I was unfamiliar with this bird and had to look them up.
    They really seem to like the figs. Usually the blue jays are the ones raiding the tree, but are strangely absent this time around.
    I personally don't care for figs and am glad to see the birds eat them before they get too ripe and start attracting yellow jackets.

I have two Figs about 15 years old. They are a treat. I do eat figs.
    So do my birds.

It is about the only time I get Crows to stop in, and they love these things. They add a lot of excitement. The figs that fall to the ground are eaten by the many yard critters. That is a lot as there are a lot of figs.

Last week K saw a Red-headed Woodpecker (she don't eat figs ether) picking them open and feeding the young who were perched beside her.

Figs are a really good tree.

Quote Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

I have at least one male / female pair eating the ripening figs on the tree just outside the kitchen window. There may be more than one set. It is hard to say as they tend to stay under the big leaves as much as possible.

They first caught my eye when the afternoon sun caught the female at just at the right angle to make her look a dazzling bronze / goldish color. These are some very striking birds once you manage to pick them out of the foliage.
    I was unfamiliar with this bird and had to look them up.
    They really seem to like the figs. Usually the blue jays are the ones raiding the tree, but are strangely absent this time around.
    I personally don't care for figs and am glad to see the birds eat them before they get too ripe and start attracting yellow jackets.
    I hang one of our homemade Yellow Jacket stations in mine. That seems to work. I know you made a couple, do you still use them?

Toad, what binos do you have? Many times not looking at a bird throught them is a mistake. I keep them handy on the porch and at my windows at all times.
    I am the only guy in a tie