Thread: Bird Feeding

Bird Feeding

Bird feeding should be fun. To that end, the best feeders are those you come up with yourself as birds don't care as long as the food is there. I find that the right feed station in the right spot is an on going endeavor. I come up with new ideas all the time as to how to improve or make mine function a little better.

Here is an old blog post that has good info: http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap...d-feeding.html

I just out up a new feeder today. I'll post pics later...squirrels were on it within 2 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    I just out up a new feeder today. I'll post pics later...squirrels were on it within 2 hours...
    I like my squirrels and put out food for them. I don't want them eating on the bird feeders. It seems over priced, but if you decide to be a bird feeder, don't waste money inching up. We all waste too much money on any hobby by starting at the low end (like audio). Save money and buy the Droll Yankee Flipper or Dipper in the post above. Cheapest is generally on Amazon. They work, hold a lot and look good.

Still, a platform feeder is needed as many birds prefer it.

Also, many birds eat Safflower seed and squirrels don't.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Got a "squirrel-proof" feeder on salethe for $5.00 at Ace hardware yesterday. If it doesn't hold up, no big deal.

I used both safflower & oil sunflower seeds in the feeder. Got a suet feeder out, too. The woodpecker was tearing it up!

Best not to mix seeds as the birds will throw their second favorite to the ground. They even pick up and judge the same seeds, take the one they want and pitch others to the ground. (Where of course the ground birds and other critters are waiting)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Best not to mix seeds as the birds will throw their second favorite to the ground. They even pick up and judge the same seeds, take the one they want and pitch others to the ground. (Where of course the ground birds and other critters are waiting)
    I poured them in two layers. It has 6 stations, so they can pick the layer they want. In the end, doesn't matter as everyone gets something....

I feed birds.

Yes, I go overboard just like with my audio quest and some other areas.

I put up some new crap I had zero need for.
    It is a hobby. How much did I really need the new digital cable or fish finder I just paid a lot for? How much did you really need another CD or a flag for your truck?

Attachment 488

Attachment 489

Full explanation on the YardCrap blog --> http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/

p/s there is plenty of band with here and there to put up WTF. All here are welcome to use it.
    If you are new, glad to help you get set up.

This is the time of year when birds around here are hard to feed. Our "store bought crap" cannot compare to what Nature has available for them in the yard.

They nibble at the feeders a little, but are fat and happy from all the bugs and seeds out there now.

On another note, not long after the above photos, I took a hole saw and cut a hole in the baffles so they could slide down on the tubes. Lowering the baffles down to the feed post really keeps the seed dry in a rain storm.
    These are the ones send out as prizes in last year's College Football contest to Toad, Snoop, and Maverick minus the baffles and trays.

I got in some tube feeders last year much larger than those at 4ft that will hold 6.4 pounds of food as opposed to the 23inch ones above, and did the same with the baffles after closing off the top feed ports and just keeping the lower 6 open. Don't have a camera out here today.

http://drollyankees.com/product/ring...d-seed-feeder/

http://drollyankees.com/product/elit...d-seed-feeder/

The baffles cut easy with a common hole saw, I think it is 2inches on the ones above and 3 or maybe 4 on the big one. It is an improvement that is well worth the effort.

The trays are great too.