Thread: TURTLE SECRET

TURTLE SECRET

I don't have the patience or skills of most of you, but I still putter around in my critter sanctuary doing what I can. My yard is very entertaining to me, and sitting on my ass watching it is my main "thing" in life. Although it all might appear a mess to many, it is that way by choice. I don't even own a lawnmower. I don't do a lot of triming except to cut things back, never to shape them.

About ten years back I added a 4000 gallon "Turtle Pond". All the details and photos can be found here on YC somewhere. Before that I had three 220 gallon ponds hooked together. I still have one of those 220s and added a 150 gallon pond with a branch running to it that is a real joy.

The "Turtle Pond" is still going great after ten years, but there is a blip. I aint had any luck there with turtles. One thing is that is has been a quest to keep some SUN getting to it. Turtles like to lay in the Sun. I have taken down trees and cut back crap every year.

The problem is the turtles I put in there disappear. Some have made it a couple years, but all disappear. They don't die. When a turtle dies he floats and of course there is the hard shell left behind. They disappear. I don't know where to or how.

Turtles are great climbers. I built this pond knowing that fact. It has an overhang and about an 8 inch verticle wall for them to get over. I don't believe they escape.

Unlike what the self-called experts advice as to pond building, I built my side walls straight down for 40 inches. I did that so no Raccoons or Herons could wade and hunt my critters.

Hawks could get the small ones and I have seen a Hawk dive at the pond. It seems unlikely they could carry off a larger turtle. A big Owl could, but the turtles tend to sink to the bottom at night. An Eagle could, and I have them, but under the trees I don't think that is the problem. Seeing an Eagle is kinda rare. I can sit on my porch and see Herons in the lake, but I have never seen one at the pond. I don't think they could handle a larger turtle.

So where do they go?

Maybe, maybe the Raccoons are getting them. I doubt it, but what do I know? All I know is that I don't know.
    I know I am on the porch looking at my "Turtle Pond" and I am tired. I just spent the last several hours building an electric fence around it. All that bending and crawling has me stiff and sore which is a good thing.

I have experienced great results using an electric fence to guard my many bird feeders. One thin wire and the coons and possums leave the feeders alone instead of tearing them up. Squirrels and Chipmunks eat the food, but a Raccoon destroys a feeder. I like and enjoy seeing all these guys, but destroying the feeders is not good.
    I run a line with he same voltage as a dog collar. It does not hurt (been zapped many times by accident) but it does get your attention. It works great at my bird feeders.

So, being at wits end, I have now put one around the "Turtle Pond". Maybe it is Raccoons getting the Turtles. This fence should stop that. It does not add to the look, but WTF?

Name:  fence.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  166.6 KB

Those Koi (six) were tiny and have been in there all ten years. I have not bought a gold fish in over 20 as they keep the numbers up with no help from me.
    The fat Koi must be near 10 pounds and are like giant submarines. They are impressive!! My pond is clear and obviously a healthy enviroment for critters. I been keeping water critters for 50 years and have that water quality part figured out. This is not some crap hole like most garden ponds people put in.

What I don't have figured out is WTF happens to my Turtles.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; 04-23-2016 at 06:07 PM.