Thread: 50 tadpoles

50 tadpoles

This week I got in a few pre-frogs.
    I enjoy my frogs. My land borders to a 150 mile lake shoreline. At some point my frogs tend to hop off to that.

This Spring I have 4 frogs as best I can see.. They are not the HUGE frogs I am used too, or at least I don't think they will be those.

So, ordered in 50 tadpoles that in the past produced the "scary" Bull Frogs I am used to.
    These are the ones that can eat a small kid.

I scattered them around to my 5 water things to give them a better chance. In Nature very, very few make it to frog size. I even put ten in my aquarium, those will be safe.
    In the wild, it takes two years for Bull Frog tadpoles to mature.
    I am the only guy in a tie

CPT
    Reminds me of how "mean" the Strawser boys that I grew up with could be...
    Their dad rented some space in the woods of his farm to a "city slicker" who wanted to make a "fortune" raising bull frogs (for their legs..). This guy spent a TON of time and labor and $'s erecting a "frog proof" wire fence around a small pond he dug by hand in the hot, humid, mosquito infested Ohio summer woods on this farm. He stocked it with some "prize" bull frogs and waited for the magic to happen. It never did because these boys of course released/gigged/captured these frogs for "sport" and had a great laugh about it...no damn "city slicker" was gonna strike it rich if they had a say in it! I'll say (and hope!) I was not a part of THIS juvenile delinquency, but I'm sure at the time I got a good laugh over it. Damn, young boys can be so BAD! Now I really feel bad for this guy who was just trying to "live his dream"....WTF!

Or maybe it just failed on its own and I'm "mis-remembering" the details and only correctly remembering the ultimate result (no frogs multiplying for whatever reasons...).
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

That reminds me of a story my dad told me about his grandmother when he was a kid. They had an old shallow well that was made of 3 foot diameter cement pipe and stuck up out of the ground a couple of feet. I guess my great-grandmother use to grab the bull frogs by their feet and smack their heads against the top of the well before cutting off their legs. I've never tried them but I guess they taste pretty good?

CPT
    Some say they taste very close to HUMAN meat...guess they asked some cannibals!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

That post was 2016. My previous bullfrogs were giants. I got this 2016 batch at a different place, Carolina School Supply. This batch produced real bull frogs, but smaller, much smaller. They entertained me through 2017, and this Spring in 2018 still have several in my ponds. They are half the size of the giants.
    My frogs eventually hop to the lake. Frogs are kinda territorial as are most critters. The big ones fight each other and move on.

This April I bought some tadpoles from a different place. A couple arrived already with hind legs.
    Kinda hard to believe, but one of my new tadpoles is on land today.
    Here he is with a turtle coming out of the water:

Name:  NEW01895a.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  131.6 KB

Now two turtles are up and no one has eaten him, so good deal.

I ate frog legs while in Baton Rouge on many occasions. They were good. Don't know what to compare the taste to, but remember that they must have been good since I ate them on several occasions. The locals said they were farmed raised. They were served with cold draft beer in frosted mugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I ate frog legs while in Baton Rouge on many occasions. They were good. Don't know what to compare the taste to, but remember that they must have been good since I ate them on several occasions. The locals said they were farmed raised. They were served with cold draft beer in frosted mugs.

You are no longer welcome at my home.
    I am the only guy in a tie

If I'm no longer welcome at your home, I guess I must come clean and admit I also ate turtle mull stew when I was about 11 years old. If it helps my case, I did not like it. Hope you are forgiving and welcome me back someday.

I have cats, do you eat cats?

No, I do not eat cats. I have a cat myself named Johnnie. I think your cat, Percy, approved of me when I visited. I believe dogs and cats can sense good humans from bad humans. Check with Percy.