Thread: Water Monster

Water Monster

I don't like all my critters.
    Yesterday I went to feed my fish and there was a 20ft serpent in the pond, must have weighted a hundred pounds.!. Well, not quite that big, but it startled me. I don't like any snakes. They are enemy to my critters.
    My fish pond critters are captive, and it is my responsibility to protect them as best I can.
    For this giant snake, it was like a food bowl.

The safe/easy way to get him would be a gun, but I can't shoot holes in my pond. I have a snake stick, and after a careful game of chase, I got him. He was heavy and flopping about. I was kinda scared until I was able to introduce his head to my shovel.
    I know he ain't poisonous and some will complain, but let him come eat your critters. No snakes are welcome at my house. Poisonous or not, a bite from that guy would hurt like hell, and he was big enough to kill my cat if they tangled.

This is a Red-bellied Watersnake. I looked him up and apparently they don't live in my part of the state. I tend to disagree.

Name:  aopole.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  redwater.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  97.0 KB

Wow! I'm glad you got him Bill with no damage to you, your critters or your property.

You gonna eat him?

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Yeah, he could have definitely caused some damage to your desired critters. I let black snakes go, but I would also have killed that one.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

You know what?

That was on the same day the wife & I stopped by your house for a visit and you said to me " At this house we shoot people that kill animals!"

But here is a plan.
    If you stop by my place and introduce a few of my squirrels to your shovel, then it wouldn't be necessary for me to follow through on the plan I discussed with you to thin my overwhelming colony with my .410.

BTW, I also have a treaty with the local snakes.
    If I am in the forest or out fishing and run across one in the wild, I just avoid him and go on about my business.
    If on the other hand, if one crosses over into my yard and I see him, he doesn't get to slither out the other side.

A couple days back saw a large snake hanging in the bushes behind my Frog Pond (probably why my Bull Frog disappeared). I was unable to find the snake when I went down there. Some snakes are very quick and snakes in general are difficult to catch. I welcome all suggestions. I have ordered some snake granules which is just crap that may interfere with smell. This is not a solution as it rains here.

Last week my cats had a large 5' black snake at bay. Cats are quicker than a snake and go after anything that moves. The snake was coiled staring at one cat who was crouched staring back. The other cat was crouched at the rear. Unfortunately cats have little fear of snakes. This was not a poisonous one, but a snake bite to the face would be terrible, could put out an eye, and at the least is a $100+ trip to the vet. As they had it corralled, easy for me to dispatch it.

I don't allow snakes in my yard, but enforcing that rule is at best folly.

All suggestions by you people are appreciated.

Name:  frrrr.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  129.0 KB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Yes, my cat is outgoing and always ready to make new friends.
    Name:  P5260196.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  119.3 KB

I am not really afraid of snakes. I generally do not hurt them. I have run up on copperheads and just moved them off the trail when running by. I will say that if I had outdoor pets I would not allow any animal in the yard that would hurt my pets. My cats are indoor only. If one got out while I was home my wife would mostly likely kill me in my sleep if one of the cats got hurt or killed. I had mice in my garage a few years back and then noticed they were gone. I later ran across a 2 foot long snake in the garage and just tipped my hat and said thanks. Snakes are around for a reason. If the reason is gone you don't need the snake.

Marty I know most see it as shallow not to love all God's creatures, but I fall short.
    On the other hand, many of the critters eat each other. Us humans have no problem with tasty bacon or a steak, but then some shame me if I wish there were no snakes in my yard. All the good snakes are welcome here, but they should carry papers to prove that. I think there are .

My cats and birds and frogs, etc all just showed up. I do have store bought fish held captive in my inside aquarium. If they complain will let them go in the lake.

I like these critters who sought me out better than snakes who will harm them. As they came to my home for sanctuary, feel a need to help them if I can. Things like snakes and coyotes are not welcome.

I can not think of one thing snakes add to my yard. They have the entire World to live in so, this should be hard on them. Snakes kill rats, but as my cats roam free as Nature intended, have no rat problem.
    I am the only guy in a tie