Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: In the back yard today...

Name:  squirrel.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.0 KB

I do like my squirrels, but they don't like the cats.

PFC
    I just recently set up a new bird feeding station in my back yard and will be taking some pics of them (I hope). I'm not quite sure of how to post photos in here so fill me in if you don't mind. Didn't know if I could post them directly or if I might need to upload them somewhere else and point to them here.

I've got some backyard bird photos from last year on my Flickr account...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128568...57650310287160

I think about half of those are from my backyard and others from Rankin Lake in Gastonia and a few from the coast.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

Check out this great Audubon site.

http://www.audubon.org/bird-guide?s_...FVQ2gQodBa0ATA

This is a great site for bird identification and it has several actual recordings of the various calls each bird makes.
    I was playing around with my cat and playing the calls from local birds and watching her hunt for them.
    When I started playing the Carolina Wren songs, I had one in the yard start to answer and actually lit on the windowsill.

AO, if you want to find out if a particular bird is hiding in your backyard bird sanctuary just crank up the speakers in the catbird seat and see if you can get a reply.

Thanks Toad.

I have the Audibon Bird Guide which is different from Peterson and Sibley as it uses real photos. There are a few excellent sites on line.
    I have twice been gifted devices that call to birds by inserting cards. That can be fun this time of year. Birds don't just make one sound. Most cann make different calls depending on the message. Of course many birds are also excellent mimics.
    Elgra's daughter even sent me a bird caller. You can also suck and kiss on your wrist to make a sound and "phish".

I have a couple friends who are into bird calls - the Bardens. She does design work for magazines and plays bird calls for herself as she works on her computer. You can buy recording for this like for learning a foreign language. I have been out with them a few times and I have to admit, she is very good at it. He is too, but not like her. He got me into birding and was one of my foot racing peers. He once held the over 40 record for the mile and later the over 50 record for 8K in NC. He is a bird expert and is a professor at UNCC.

Here is another fun site:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/merl...773457673?mt=8

If you have a photo, they will use it ID a bird for you. Cornell is one of the best places in the World for bird crap.

i snapped this byrd in my yard what is it ?

Name:  girl.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  82.6 KB

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678