Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

In the back yard today... - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: In the back yard today...

Here are a couple backyard photos.

These are Cedar Waxwings in a Bald Cypress tree I planted ten years ago. It is just starting to put out leaves this year. My yard is full of berries and the Waxwings come for them and the garden ponds.

Attachment 452

This a Hermit Thrush I just snapped. I have a couple of these here everyday each Winter, but have never seen one this late in the year. I keep trying to make it a misplaced Swanson Thrush due to the tail color (or lack of) but I guess that is wishful thinking. These birds Summer in the far North and is the state bird of Vermont.

Attachment 453

Beautiful shots Bill.

Hummingbirds are buzzing me and the Beagle today. They are really going all out now. One feeder is about 2 foot from where her nose is resting, but they don't care.

Attachment 647

Attachment 648
    I am the only guy in a tie

I'm going to try to get this thread going again...look for pics from my backyard in the next few days~

Got a couple of videos from the past week.

This little guy would perch in the tree & chase off any other hummer that tried to feed--

This one looked like a juvenile; can anyone confirm? Look closely how FAST he's breathing! I've read their resting heart rate is about 220 bpm--

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    AO, you've got new cats? Check out this'n.
    Name:  bellelantana2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  177.6 KB

CPT
    That's a beautiful cat/creature, Chuck. We have a semi-stray similar (but jet black with white markings) long haired beauty that we feed in our back yard as well. But I still prefer dogs over cats 'cause cats are just too damn independent...lol!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

SMA
    Thanks elgrau. That cat (female named Jezebel) is a Maine Coon breed. I like dogs too. We've got a miniature Schnauzer that thinks he's human. I "ain't" crazy about big dogs though.

Nice looking cat Chuck. Most cats in this area are at least part Maine Coon I believe. It is a good thing as they like water.
    I have two cats and two dogs. They all get along OK together now that Rosey is established at the top of the pecking order. I bring everyone in at dusk, but the rest of the time they are free to come and go. I have a door mat that chimes when one wants in.

The cats are rough and tumble. They believe their job is to murder anything that moves.
    The male is quite large. He sits by me to watch TV and them goes to his bed in the bed room when I turn in. Both cats follow me around and believe I am a very interesting guy.
    They fight like hell when bored, even in the middle of the night. They don't use teeth or claws, just practice killing each other. They race over furniture and slam into the walls. Rosey really wants to join in but refrains as long as I am around.

The male roams some, but not as much. Mostly they hang out in the drive or around the dock. I have made it a point to let my couple of neighbors know the cat is mine. People are kinda uneasy about me anyway around here :smiley_simmons: so I don't think they will bother him.

The cats have Iams hard cat food out all the time and they split a can of tuna every evening. I guess they eat better than me and Rosey. My plan is to keep them full so they don't kill my critters, but that is not 100% successful.

On the plus side, when they catch a critter, they tend to run inside with it and I have saved a few Chipmunks, lizards, and two rabbits.

Dug up & moved a satellite dish to the back yard today, converting it into a FREE bird feeder in the process:

I drilled holes in it to allow water to drain out of the bowl shape. It has safflower & sunflower seeds in it right now. I also hung a cheap suet feeder off the side.

Expecting a visitor before sunset today~

Exceptional idea.:applouse::applouse::applouse:
    Actually, I have two old ones in the yard my Bride keeps on me to haul off.
    I might convert one like you did. I'll paint it green and she will never know.

SMA
    That's a good idea. I also have a few taking up space in my workshop building.

As fun as recycling is, a dish might actually make a better bird bath than a feeder. Birds like shallow water, not those deep things. Also shallow baths are quick to clean. On a dish like that, the hose quickly washes out mosquito larve and leaves ample water behind to wash in. Of course you need to hose them every couple days which is why I have gravitated to pump fed water features.

In my experience, the best hopper style feeders are simple and cheap to make, very expensive to purchase.

Basically, make a square frame, stretch hard ware cloth over it and cover with screen wire. Secure it with some furring strips and you are done. On top of this great floor, let your needs and imagination rule.

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  feeder.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  sscreenfeeder.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  95.1 KB

This make a flat surface birds can hop around on, but drains completely. Wet seed quickly becomes a wasted mess. I have tried it with out the screen wire, but ground birds like to hop and peck, not just cling and eat.

The dish as a feeder should also work well as it is easy to hose off. The down side is no roof and the need to put out smaller amounts of food often if one is really into feeding the birds.

I'm working on a roof.....

Pics & a video of the first visitors:

A mother squirrel cautiously approaching to gather a few sunflower seeds from the ground around the feeder:

Click for video:

Male cardinal at dusk (female was on the ground):

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast