Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

In the back yard today... - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: In the back yard today...

MSG
    Oh yeah, The squirrels here have tried everything to get onto mine. Had a 1/2" woven nylon aircraft tie down rope holding it up. They finally figured out they could chew through that, so now have a chain wrapped around a tree limb holding it. I've had a Squirrel Buster Plus for a couple of years, and it's a lot like the one you have.
    http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/sq...rd-feeder.html
    Watch this video. The first 3 min. has lots of good bird audio and video, then starts the squirrel action.

Cool, Doug!

A shitpot of Grackles showed up today, tearing everything all to hell. I went out & clapped my hands & they all left. Must have been 500 of them migrating through...

"Watch this video. The first 3 min. has lots of good bird audio and video, then starts the squirrel action."
    Take that you little bastards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSG
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    Cool, Doug!

A shitpot of Grackles showed up today, tearing everything all to hell. I went out & clapped my hands & they all left. Must have been 500 of them migrating through...
    I rank grackles right under seagulls on my crappy bird list. We have a Wally World not too far away where you can't park in the handicapped spots after sunset, unless you want a grackle crap shower. And they are so loud too!

Best thing for Grackles and Starlings is a 22 bullet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSG
    My Daisy pellet rifle with a little scope on it does a right respectable job too. And there are no neighbors calling 911 to report that old guy is shooting guns again.

I see one or two a year and they cause me no problem, just eat a little millet. In Matthews I had Starlings and I was in a constant battle trying to find ways to keep them off my suet. Out here the large farm fields keep them all occupied I guess.

I do have a murder of Crows that cross by each morning and evening - very loud, lots of fun. They have never bothered me. They make their living on the lake. The Beagle likes to chase them when they are in the cove.

Each year I get CowBirds in the Spring and shoot at them for another reason. Here is a post on my new gun. That sucker hits hard and straight.
    http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap...-cowbirds.html

Still, was never able to shoot at one, just used the air soft guns. I am too soft.

More pics from the back yard this week. I really should separate the birds & critters (squirrels) but I'm just too damn lazy for posting in two threads~

Here's a video of a woodpecker wearing out the suet:

...and this little bastard is getting cheeky as hell:

I love my Squirrels. You will soon learn how to handle them. They are some of "the fun", not the enemy.

My yard is made for Cardinals and lots live here. They thin out in Spring as they are territorial. They fight their image on on my widow feeder - good fun. It drives my cats wild. Cardinals are the first birds to arrive in the morning and the last to leave the yard at dark. They are beautiful birds and sometimes we miss that fact as they are common. They eat almost everything. It is hard to find a bird as striking.

That Red-bellied Woodpecker is a real treat at my place. I have a window feeder in the bed room. Birds flock in to it. I put in big balls of home made suet. The Red-bellies arrive and not being shy - challenge all as they land. My cats go berserk and beat on the glass.
    At one time I had Red-headed Woodpeckers, but not lately. Red-bellies are year 'round here. When the kids hatch, the parents bring the kids to my bedroom window to teach them where the free food is. A great backyard bird.

Gary, you need to put up at least a 'sticky' on your computer to list your birds. You could just entertain us all and start a thread of birds seen in your back yard. All here should do that. It is fun, cheap and while it may seem lame, at some point it will take your heart beat to a new level when some one lands you need to ID. We need a 'sticky' on BackYard birds.

My heart has been all out many, many times. I have pushed it to failure. Few here can say that as not many have gone all out in a Marathon or a mile foot race and maxed their heart. To really do it you have to train that thing and teach it to go crazy, otherwise you fall short and loose the day. It is not something you can just go out and do. You have to train to get the max and that takes years of hard work. Then you need the excitement of friends and peers to bring out all your heart can do.

On the other side of it, when I think I see a new bird, I panic. I have a plan, but I panic. I just can't tell you how much excitment that is -> you have to experience it. It is easier than re-grouping your mind to close hard on that last mile at Boston. Still, when I think I see a new Warbler, my heart races, my vision blurrs and time races. All my "calm" escapes.

Back Yard Bird Watching is a Man's sport, and I can back that up.

MSG
    Every time I go to Lowes and get a bag of sunflower seeds, the guy asks me....Feeding the squirrels huh? LOL They do LOVE those sunflower seeds! Nice pictures of the woodpecker and Cardinal. :)

More videos; they take forever to upload even with a blazing fast connection...

Forgot to add - some of those photos are just excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Every time I go to Lowes and get a bag of sunflower seeds, the guy asks me....Feeding the squirrels huh? LOL They do LOVE those sunflower seeds! Nice pictures of the woodpecker and Cardinal. :)
    I saw this week that the guy who wrote some of my favorite songs died.
    I am man enough to admit that I love his tunes and how Julie Andrews did a few of them. I am not jumping on the bandwagon. I put this up a couple years ago and nothing has changed. I have never watched 'Sound of Music' because I heard Mary got kissed. I am not yet ready for that. Go play this: http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap...the-birds.html

All the audiophiles in the world could group and not find better than the many audio performances of Julie Andrews.
    I am the only guy in a tie

A new visitor today; what kind is this?

And of course the Cardinal was back, with his mate this time:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast