Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

In the back yard today...
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In the back yard today...

In the back yard today...

Caught these two guys. Sorry the (Downey?) woodpecker shot is so bad...

squirrels - very tasty

Good photos.
    Put a little suet mix on the porch and that Woodpecker will visit all day.
    I like my squirrels, but these days my new cats are keeping them at bay.

Had some more visitors today:

Most anytime you put out a new feeder or change the location of one, the first birds to find it are Titmouse and Chickadee.

Good photos. You will soon be moving your Sunfire to the deck.

Nice shots Gary. Be careful, the more time you spends bird watching the more you fall in love with them. I see a future National Audubon Society Member being born. Soon you'll be jumping on the GW band wagon and moving to the trees.

MSG
    Nice photos Gary! Birds do love those sunflower seeds. We have a feeder in the back yard, and have all kinds of birds visit it. You should see the squirrels try to get to it! I think they have finally learned it's not gonna happen, so they hang out under it, picking up dropped seeds.

Ten years ago sunflower seed was about $15 for 50# at Lowes. Then they went to 40# bags and upped the price to $18. Later Tractor Supply put in 40# bags for $14 but the price has gone up and it is at $23 this Winter. That really puts a crimp in my Bird budget. I watch for the coupons that come out every few months, and have found the shelled sunflower to be a good buy right now. I also keep out salflour, white millet, and deer corn which the squirrels and some birds eat. I make my own suet cakes and take out a few shelled peanuts when I sit outside for the Titmouse. I generally pick up 4 bags (160#) of Millet and sunflower at a time. As a plus, I have planted berry bushes like Nadina, Pyracanter, and Hollies to add to the native berry bushes in the yard. Throw in a couple acorn trees and water features , and my yard attracts a lot birds.

Caught this guy on camera today; there were several of them:

He's back:

Click the pic for a video:

Last edited by TNRabbit R.I.P.; 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.

inactive
    if i were a dog,,,,,i would go nuts and say " squirel....." then loose my mind like my terrier.

MSG
    We have some of those little red and brown birds down here too. Don't know the name of them though. Anyone???

House Finch.

Same size and feeding habits as The Gold Finch.
    You notice the Titmouse and Chickadee choose a seed and leave. The Finches just sit there and chomp down as breaking the seed open is easy for them.

From yesterday, about 3 hours after I put the feeder up:

They studied the feeder for 2 hours before they even attempted to get close. One went out on the limb to the feeder, but I picked a limb that was very small & springy, so they didn't even make out there. The kicker is, even if they make it to the feeder, any weight other than a few birds will make it spring down & close access to the holes, so they won't be able to get at it anyway. The Downey Woodpecker has been tearing the suet feeder UP!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast