Thread: Small Tool Repair

Small Tool Repair

I do not have a lawn, but I do have stuff in my yard. I am as avid and busy as anyone in these parts who ride on their lawn mowers. They think my place is wild and I am lazy, but I doubt any of them could do what I do as to my yard.

I have 1-1/2 acres and my fun is growing many different things, not just boring grass.

Basically I spend much of my time trying to get things to grow, and much of my time cutting things back. Many of my favorite things are planted by Mother Nature, yall might call them "weeds".
    Things grow very fast in these parts.

To that end, knew I would be out of work for a few weeks when my eye surgeries began, so on the last day fired up the weed eater to add some "tame" to the side yard taht was getting out of control.
    I have a top Husky trimmer. Minutes after I started, it sucked in the tail of my shirt and wrapped it around the WTF.
    I had to cut off my shirt. Then after a few hours of tinkering, got the thing apart and cleaned it out. I put it back together and it fired up. Now the motor does not turn the shaft. It runs great, but no longer "weed eats".

I am sure that for some of you this is a simple thing, but for me --?
    I have a 40v electric that I love and mostly use, but it is not up to the industrial cutting power needed often in my jungle where often hard cutters and even a saw blade comes in handy on occasion.

What to do, what to do?
    I guess to the shop with it.

On the other hand, I see there is now a 4 stroke Husky. Maybe I should just toss this one and start over.
    http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-4-St...Husqvarna+224L
    I am the only guy in a tie

CPT
    My weed whacker (2 cycle gas..) is from Sears and basically sucks...it routinely refuses to idle or even run unless choke is partially on...I sometimes just use the choke as a throttle. It has a sucky carb/fuel line set-up of tubes and such and the carb gets clogged a lot but I rarely use it due to its "frustration factor". Next one will be something like your Husky...or similar top of the line model.

Life is too short to be frustrated with junk tools...buy the best (tool wise) and that is the cheapest route as well in the long run! That's a "rule" that I break a lot and sometimes things work out ok for some types of tools (this takes years of experience to know which you can skimp on and which you just cannot) and sometimes it don't. Anything with a gas engine is probably in the category of "buy the best"...especially if it has a carb. I bought the "best" garden tractor (TroyBuilt) in ~1984 and it starts one pull every spring and I've only had ONE issue with it in the 30+ years I've owned it: about 10 years ago I had to replace a rubber diaphragm in the carb that broke. The governor takes a while (now) to work right and needs to "warm up" but I'm sure I could fix that with some oil or whatever if I wanted to. But this Pony model 5 HP 206 cc B&S powered tiller is bullet proof and in my Will as I'm sure it will outlive me...
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

CPT
    Yeah, I wish I had a big enough "need" for that 4 stroke husky trimmer; if so I'd be on it like stink on a turd...but using this bad boy for some sidewalk weeds and a few backyard places where the mower can't get to would be like using a nuke to kill one terrorist!
    (Seemed too frightening)

Bill, it sounds like you broke the shaft. Not an inexpensive fix due to labor.

How in the fuck did you get your shirt caught in it??

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    Yeah, I wish I had a big enough "need" for that 4 stroke husky trimmer; if so I'd be on it like stink on a turd...but using this bad boy for some sidewalk weeds and a few backyard places where the mower can't get to would be like using a nuke to kill one terrorist!
    Ed I have been using Black and Decker 12 volt tools for over a decade and like them. The batteries give out over time and cost to replace. For most of my work, the trimmer, weed eater and blower are all I need. I have used them almost daily, especially the blower.

In Fall I need a better blower due to lots of leaves and have a Husky 2cycle blower that starts easy and does the job.
    In Summer I sometimes need a better trimmer, and have a Husky 2 cycle trimmer (now broke) that starts easy.

Most times the battery jobs are what I reach for.

This year I upgraded to their 40V lithium series. My old ones still work, but I have worn out the batteries.
    This new 40V series is the cats' ass. The power is much better and the run time is extended all you need. I have the weed eater and the blower. I have 3 batteries, but one battery may be all you need, so start with that.
    I recommend this 100%
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=2528832011

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    Bill, it sounds like you broke the shaft. Not an inexpensive fix due to labor.

How in the fuck did you get your shirt caught in it??
    I don't know.
    I had on a long sleeve microfiber shirt as I knew things would be flying.
    The tail was not tucked in. I guess I was holding the trimmer against my body and the tail of the shirt got sucked in below the motor. I thought it was eating me alive.
    At first I thought the carb had sucked it in. Actually it was wrapped around the shaft just below the motor. I had to take it apart to get the shirt out.

The motor is 100%.
    The shaft does not engage.
    I am the only guy in a tie

CPT
    Could be as simple as a shaft key that sheared (to prevent further damage to stupid human operators...lol). Power tools can kill and maim: I forget the details but several months ago I was working with some power tool .. yeah, it was my motorized plumber's snake... and I had not been able to find my good leather work gloves so instead just slipped on a pair of cloth gardening gloves: the rotating powered "snake" grabbed onto the cloth gloves and almost twisted/squeezed the fingers off of my right hand before I could get the damn thing shut off...hurt like hell for a few hours! I doubt that the shaft is broken though...that would take a huge amount of torque.

Yeah, I have lithium battery powered drill with two batteries...but still need a REAL drill for big jobs (like cutting circular 4" to 7" diameter speaker holes in MDf, and drilling holes in concrete, etc. Battery power has come a long way but still not able to replace all gas and outlet powered tools (or cars...). But I was at the park last week taking the dog for a walk/run there and they have a model airplane flying section there and one dude had the fastest most awesome electric motor powered RC model plane I've ever seen. Even the other flyers said it was just "too fast": well over a hundred real MPH's (I estimated/timed it to be closer to 200 MPH). You literally had a hard time following it with your eyes as it was somewhat outrunning its own sound. All due to new advanced battery and brush-less high RPM and HP tiny lightweight electric motors. So electric powered everything is probably in our future...
    (Seemed too frightening)

The big boy is now the 56 volt EGO line.
    The price is very high. To buy the 7.5amp battery, you have to go to the site.
    http://http://egopowerplus.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_...qid=1433201835

In this range battery falls behind gas as to power/price. It is amazing.

The Black and Decker above is enough for most and cheaper.