Thread: Mom had to put down the family cat, Tommy

Mom had to put down the family cat, Tommy

I called my mom on the way home from work, and she didnt answer, texted back saying she had a migraine. I got this email later...

Very sad news - I had to have Tommy put to sleep this morning. The vet had told me the beginning of February that it was time when he stopped eating but Tommy started eating again and was good for a couple of weeks so I put it off. The last two weeks he progressively got worse and meowing more & more like he was trying to tell me something. The last few days he hadn't slept much and last night he slept hardly at all. I even tried letting him get in bed with me but that didn't help for long. He just couldn't get comfortable. So after him not sleeping at all last night I knew it was time. I called the vet as soon as they opened at 8:00 this morning and took him in about 9:00. I was with him the whole time and he was very calm. They put us in a very zen type room with dim lighting and a nice leather sofa & chair with a running water feature. The vet took Tommy and gave him a shot of anesthetic and brought him back to me wrapped in a blanket. Tommy was good, just like he was going to sleep. After about 15 minutes they took him away and put a catheter in his leg to give him the final medicine into his hip muscle. They brought him back to me then and gave him the final injection while I held him and he just drifted off, very peaceful & calm and not in any pain. He was ready to go and died in my arms. He will be cremated and his ashes returned to me. I gave them his "Tommy" tag to put in his ashes.

Tommy was a good cat and an important part of our family for a very long time. He will be missed. He had a good life and was always well taken care of. More pets should have the life he had.

I don't want to talk about this so please don't call me tonight. I know you will all be very sad. I am - I stayed home today and didn't talk to anybody but Dad. I told him today when he called me about 5:00 pm FL time.

Love you all very much.

Mom

what a fucking shitty day...

OR....be grateful for the time your Mom had with her buddy....

Sorry for the loss. I stayed with my last cat as he was put to sleep & I cried like a baby.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

The passing of a friend is hard, even if the friend comes with four paws.
    We know when we let them into our hearts this day will come, but that foresight does not lessen the pain.

I'm saddened by your family's loss.

Sorry for your loss Chris, makes me think of my dog I had for 18 years. She had a stroke and I had to have her put to sleep. Painful.

Thanks guys! Yeah it sucks, hell the cat is older than my stepdaughter!

but the dr said he was in a lot of pain, so it was time. He lived a long spoiled life.