Thread: Pine Siskin

Pine Siskin

Great day to be out of work.
    38degrees and rain falling, will get about 1 1/2 inch today. A strong wind is hitting the porch from the NE.

At my chair I have Pine Siskin, about 50. Over the yard there must be a couple hundred. They are eating everything and at anytime a dozen are taking a bath in my branch even as the rain falls.

Name:  pine-siskin_.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  93.1 KB

On my porch rail I have out freeze dried worms, sunflower and shelled sunflower, crushed peanuts and millet. I am covered in birds. They are on the rail, on the floor, even landing on my legs and a couple times on my gloved hand. All my yard feeders are full with them, they are on the ground and in the trees.

Migration by this bird is highly variable, probably related to food supply. Large numbers may move South in some years; hardly any in others. This species is one of a few species that are considered "irruptive winter finches" because of the high variability of their movements based on the success of crops from year to year. - wiki

I get them some Winters, but most times not. I prefer "not" as it makes feeding my normal birds more expensive.
    My other birds are here too, but greatly outnumbered.
    These little guys are fun. They jump around and yell at each other. Some are quite colorful. They are not shy. I just wish there were not so many.

Here is am good photo spread comparing them to others:
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/s...=488&width=875

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

AO, your pine siskin flock arrived at my house last week and show no signs of leaving.

The trees and yard are full of them.

Name:  YCPS1 .jpg
Views: 631
Size:  124.8 KB

When we got that dusting of snow yesterday they went into high gear.
    They have taken over the feeders.

Name:  YCPS2.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  98.3 KB

I have a thistle sock hanging under the eve by the kitchen window. They cover it at time like a swarm of bees. This is driving my cats wild.

Name:  YCPS3.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  85.5 KB

They are eating me out of house and home.
    Fortunately, Tractor Supply has bird seed on sale just now. They also sent out a mailer good for an additional 10% off.

I buy the 20 lb bag of sunflower hearts and mix in a 5 lb bag of in-shell sunflower seeds, as this seems to help promote a smooth flow in the feeder.

These birds are entertaining my cats, but I would appreciate it if you would call them back to your house before I go broke.:05.18-flustered:

I feel you pain.
    Winter is costly already with all the finches and Chipping Sparrows, then throw in a thousand Siskins and it is too much.

I picked up five 40# bags today. On the porch mine now pay me no attention at all as they take the food. Their must be a hundred within 8 foot of me right now. They are even eating the suet mix now.

Only one thing for you to do Toad, man up and buy a real feeder:

Name:  bi8gun.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  74.1 KB

This one holds 18 pounds. It is as solid as feeders come.

http://www.amazon.com/Varicraft-Avia.../dp/B000667W54

This comes with and without the cage. Larger birds like Cardinals don't like the cage, but I hang a seed catcher under mine which they do like and it really saves the seed.

All my Winter migrant birds have left - except the Pine Siskin.
    WTF? Did they not get the notice Spring has sprung?