Thread: Uh Oh! there goes the neighborhood!

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

Uh Oh! there goes the neighborhood!

I have some new birds at the food trough today.

As soon as these birds started moving in, all the songbirds started moving out.

They are all big, black and noisy.

First, one moved in on the edge of the woods, and before I knew what was
    happening they had taken over the whole yard.

Name:  AYCCROW.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  134.9 KB

Then we had a murder.

Are they maybe NBA birds? or perhaps Baltimore Ravens?

The size of them ( small chickens), compared to my usual birds leads me to think sport's pros, or jail Yard Birds.

They may not hang around long. I get a couple a few times a year. They like to eat off the ground, and seem to prefer bird seed like millet, but will eat most things. Sprinkle some bird seed on the ground.
    They are impressive birds.
    I also get Red-winged Blackbirds a couple times a year which are similar.

I don't think they will cause you much trouble. The asshole blackbirds are the Starlings. If they find you, just turn out the lights.

When I camp at the beach I put out feeders. There they have these giant "Boat-tailed" Grackle. I found they will leave my stuff alone if I throw out popcorn, which they love. Seeing these big guys are worth the trip over to Huntington Beach Park next time you are down that way.

--- or is that a crow?
    I am the only guy in a tie

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    --- or is that a crow?

Yes!
    That is why I made reference to a murder.

As in a flock of crows is called a murder.

I have Crows every day. Every morning they fly over low at first light and fly back over toward dusk. They raise hell as they talk constantly, even while flying. They never come to my feeders, but do like when my figs, pears, and acorns are ripe.

I like them.
    They sit off a ways in the tress and mimic things. They get after the hawks, ospreys and even the Eagles. In my years here they have been zero problem, and I see them everyday.

The down side is they raid bird nests. I have not seen this here other than they got some eggs Mallards laid on my dock in a planter.

Mine are "fish" Crows. Apparently the difference in mine and regular crows is slight, mostly in sound and life style. Mine make a living on the lake. They work the shore line. Anything that floats up is a meal. They will also wade to catch critters in the water. I guess they perform a service on the lake cleaning up things that die.
    They are certainly interesting to watch as they walk around like little men.

Crows are smart as HELL.....

Toad, any update on your Crows?
    I am the only guy in a tie

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    Crows are smart as HELL.....

I agree!!