Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BACKYARD BIRD CONTEST

I really need to get to the feed store & stock up on supplies for the winter, but it's not been a priority as surviving has taken over~

I've seen exactly 4 birds in my yard in the past month; all were Blue Jays.

Here are 2 Pine Siskins with 2 Gold Finch. The Siskin are migrants, hope they are passing through. They migrate to a different area every time, unlike most birds. As to diet, same as Gold Finch.
    The easy "tell" on them is the streaking which Gold finch do not have.

33 - Pine Siskin

Name:  siskin.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

29 - Golden-crowned Kinglet

Attachment 3524
    Here are photos:

This little guy is on the porch every few minutes now in either the crushed peanuts as above or here on the suet log.

Name:  G-c Kinglet1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  Golden-crowned Kinglet1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  96.3 KB

This a very tiny bird.

13 - Brown-headed Nuthatch -- -- all year, everyday at feeders
    Here is a distant photo today. At some point as Winter arrives, he will become a frequent visitor on the suet, and I will get better.

Name:  B-h Nut.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  100.3 KB

This is another very tiny bird. He gets very tame.

Name:  Canada-Goose-1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  92.7 KB

It is dark now and I can hear the Geese are landing in the cove.
    Looking at them on land one might wonder how can these big guys even fly?
    They can, and they can do it better than most anyone. These big boys can take off and fly all day.

I have Canada Geese all year. Some migrate and the smart ones don't as "why leave SC?".
    These are wonderful animals.

They are a little late today, but one of the most awesome things I see is when the migrants come in to settle each night. Being mostly vegetarians, during the day they fly inland to feed on clover and grass. They are like flying cows.

They arrive back as the Sun sets.
    Name:  gose2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  77.5 KB

They return to the lake and are very loud as to it all. The leaders shout to keep all in proper formation. It works a hell of a lot better than radar or sonar like the military use.
    Name:  goose2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  62.5 KB

They circle some and then come it. Every bird hits "perfectly", right on time as not to intefere with others. All these huge birds under one control hitting the lake is a miracle of Nature.

It will make your neck hair stand on end and make your ass tighten.

They are incredible like a group of Navy Blue Angel jets, but in a much tighter and more controled formation. As they land, if one fucks up, they all crash, but not to fear -> "perfect". This is not like some tiny Mallards coming in, this is a major operation.

They come in fast, loud, and "ski" as they land as these are heavy birds. These huge birds put out their landing gear (feet), and the water moves aside. They land not like other birds as individuals, but as a team.

Even the Air Force can't do it nearly this well. They can't come even close and they are damn good!!

AWESOME !!!!

Few things in Nature can match these guys. I can't describe it, you have to come look.

None of these above are my photos. I need to get my ass down on the water's edge a few evenings with my new camera, some beer, some fire, and some tunes to see if I can get a photo to express my words above.

Locals never leave and nest in my cove and on my island all year. Sometimes one will follow my boat as I troll. A bag of microwave popcorn encourages that. They can easily keep up at the 1-3 MPH that I troll at. Me throwing perfectly good popcorn to the duck pisses Rosey off, but she does like watching it chase her for a change.

34 - Canada Goose

I was on the porch and a few crows were raising hell as they dive bombed a pine tree at the lake. I watched with my binos for a few minutes and soon the Osprey trying to perch there took off.
    This is a big bird many see here and claim they saw an Eagle.
    He eats fish, and dives into the water to get them. Watching him work is fun as he hovers and then dives.
    Crows hate them and harass them relentlessly.

Name:  osprey.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  osprey3.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  82.3 KB

These are not my photos. I have some older ones, but too good.

35 - Osprey

Sitting here waiting on the Alabama game to start and "Ocean Drive" flew into my cove. I call him that because a couple times as I have sat on the dock playing Beach Music, he came in and worked the cove. He is fairly tame and often sits on my boat or dock. He will show up and slowly walk the water's edge catching WTF? In a good spot he will stand motionless for a long time so the fish will swim by, then wham!

The Great Blue Heron is a large bird that wades and dives to catch food. They are just about everywhere in America. At my last home which was miles from a lake, they raided my garden pond. Here for some reason they never do, guess the feeding is too good in the lake.

Here is a photo from today, kinda far off on this cloudy, drizzly day but still OK:

Name:  heron.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  92.4 KB

36 - Great Blue Heron

Today at the feeder is a Field Sparrow. I generally have one, maybe two, in later Winter. They blend in with the Chipping Sparrows. They don't migrate, but I seldom see one in Sunmmer or even this early as the bushes are still full of seed.

This photo is in shadow and he looks a little washed out. Note the eye ring for ID on these tiny birds.

37 - Field Sparrow

Name:  Field Sparrow.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  94.1 KB

Is anybody reading or maybe enjoying this thread?

37 - Field Sparrow
    Here is a better photo of a field Sparrow I took last season. He is beside a Chipping Sparrow and a Cardinal for good reference. The Sparrows are quite different looking birds, but at my house eat in the same flock.

Name:  field sparrow.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  124.1 KB

yep....

Is anybody reading or maybe enjoying this thread?

Both reading and enjoying.

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

AO sent my
    cats a Christmas present for their participation in the YC Bird Watching Contest.

It came gift wrapped direct from Amazon. I don't know what is in it.
    But it is big ( notice the yardstick in the photo ).

Name:  YCcatxmas.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  42.1 KB

Amazon did a nice job of wrapping.
    The cats can have the gift, but I am keeping the bag for myself.

The bag is kind of like a giant sized Crown Royal bag.

Odd turn around,
    as usually I receive the gifts and the cats get to enjoy playing with the box and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

AO sent my
    cats a Christmas present for their participation in the YC Bird Watching Contest.

Installation is required for that.
    I'll come mount it for the cats if you provide cold, real beer.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Oh My!!!

It is dark and rainy on the porch, so did not bring out my camera, but no matter.
    I am noticeably missing some Winter friends that arrive in numbers.
    - Yellow-rumped Warbler
    - Song Sparrow
    - and one of my favorite friends, the Pine Warbler.

Humming birds buzz and entertain here in the Cat Bird house during warmer times and are replaced by Pine Warblers in Winter. PWs are a constant and don't care who is about. They eat my suet mix and maybe some shelled sunflower. They love me. They don't "Winter" out in my yard, but right up here with me.

One just appeared. Ten would be better, but one is OK. Maybe tomorrow I will have 3.
    This is a bird that I also see from time to time all year due to living near the Blue Ridge. Only the Winter migrants move in to keep me company every hour until the Humming Birds return.

They have several different looks, just like many birds. I'll get new photos and soon will recognize each on sight as all birds are different.

Here are a couple I took in other winters:

Name:  pine.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  pine2.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  75.2 KB

These guys have been on my mind everyday as I worried about wind turbines, etc.

38 - Pine Warbler
    I am the only guy in a tie

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast