I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the bird watching contest yet.

But, at the moment the bird watching has come to a stop at my house.
I have two large pecan trees in the backyard and they are full of crows, blue jays, and squirrels. The way the leaves on the trees are shaking, I believe a war going on up there.
I have also been doing some pruning and other outdoor chores, getting the yard ready for winter.
The result is that most of my normal birds have fled. I now am down to the female house finches ( bunches of those ) and a chickadee or two.

I have a woodpecker that is sneaking in between battles, but he is camera shy and an expert at keeping the tree trunk between us,
so no photo yet.

I did take some time out during this last cold snap to work with my new spotter on the woodpecker project.

Name:  aaa1toadbird.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.3 KB

I am having trouble getting across the idea of look but don't
touch.

Name:  aa1ellyhunt.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  45.9 KB

After training She likes to kick back and watch TV as long as the show has flying objects in it.

Name:  aaa1elytv.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.7 KB

This cat came up to us as a little kitten some Asshole had tossed out on the side of the road.
She was about the size of my fist and starving, when she crept up in the bushes while my wife and I were sitting outside in the darkest spot in the yard stargazing.
We were drinking beer and eating party mix while watching the Perseid meteor shower. The sight of us eating finally was too much for her to stand and she let out a yowl that scared the heck out of us.
She is a tortoiseshell cat and so odd looking that even with a flashlight it took me awhile to figure out what kind of critter was hiding in the bushes.

She is turning out to be the smartest cat I have ever had.

While the "look don't touch" training is slow going, I did manage to teach the pecan tree to poop peanut butter

Name:  aaa1chicktree.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  74.8 KB

I was unsure to as to where to make this post, under bird watching or critters. Feel free to move it.