Thread: Best Binoculars for Bird Watching

Hybrid View

Best Binoculars for Bird Watching

Thought I might re-post some things here from my "junk" page as this thread is "open" to the public.

The best binos are different for all.
    Join me and post your thoughts on binoculars for birding and for other endeavors.

Binocualrs are like audio gear and running shoes. We all think we know all, and our crap is the best crap.

Join in with tales and questions.

Join YardCrap if you are not a member. Birders are always welcome.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Why is no one posting on threads I put up?

Name:  stay-paranoid-and-trust-no-one-paranoid-pictures-right-wing-257x300.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  34.7 KB

Just saw this great deal on binos on Amazon - today only.

If you need another pair, this looks to be a super deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-713...887438&sr=1-12
    Name:  51UAKTkpCXL._SL1200_.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  31.1 KB

CPT
    Ok; they better be very good....else you just got be again, Bill (I sprung for the $500 phono preamp 'cause of you....I GUESS that's worked out...).

Tried to 1st order the Eagle optics as I thought the top of this thread was your current post on it. The link informed me that Eagle Optics is gone...I was going to jump on the one's you said "just buy these...now!". I'm a sucker; I trust people!

The reason for all this was that several years ago a very nice pair of bino's was at an estate sale for $80. I liked them but offered $60. Knowing what they were worth, the guy managing the sale refused w/o even a counter. I came back the next day ready to pay $80 but they were gone... Regreted it since. Wednesday while on the roof enjoying 360 degrees of fireworks, I once again lamented not getting these glasses as my cheap sucky one's were well, just sucking and it was better just using naked eyes...

How do these Amazon specials compare to the Eagle 0x50's, Bill? Hope they at least just as good; else, I will be kicking self for not trying to get the Eagles used on ePrey!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    Ok; they better be very good....else you just got be again, Bill (I sprung for the $500 phono preamp 'cause of you....I GUESS that's worked out...).

Tried to 1st order the Eagle optics as I thought the top of this thread was your current post on it. The link informed me that Eagle Optics is gone...I was going to jump on the one's you said "just buy these...now!". I'm a sucker; I trust people!

The reason for all this was that several years ago a very nice pair of bino's was at an estate sale for $80. I liked them but offered $60. Knowing what they were worth, the guy managing the sale refused w/o even a counter. I came back the next day ready to pay $80 but they were gone... Regreted it since. Wednesday while on the roof enjoying 360 degrees of fireworks, I once again lamented not getting these glasses as my cheap sucky one's were well, just sucking and it was better just using naked eyes...

How do these Amazon specials compare to the Eagle 0x50's, Bill? Hope they at least just as good; else, I will be kicking self for not trying to get the Eagles used on ePrey!
    Clestron is an old brand and they know how to make optics.
    I am not positive, but believe they made the binos sold by Eagle under their name.
    I doubt anything in the $253 price range will match these.

Well all this is very interesting. I have a pair of binos that I got for christmas in the 60s. They are Almer Coe 7x35 extra wide angle featherweight with special lenses that allow for use in low light. I have had them for all this time and love them. I also bought a smaller pair last summer to take to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone Park area. They were on sale for I think $150 and are ok. I should have just taken my old pair as they are great. Oddly enough I have a video camera that uses small DVD discs and it has a 40 power digital zoom. If you can hold it still it is amazing. I haven't taken it too many places since I just carry my iPhone but I will take it to Yosemite in September. It works well and at times it has allowed me to see things far off that binos and my wife's SLR could not really make out. The 40 power is not great in low light but I have been at a zoo in the summer and everyone was trying to see the lions up in the shade and I could not only see them but it was like their faces were about a foot away. They are not crystal clear but part of this is due to having a tough time keeping still. I have a tripod but who is going to carry that around. Thinking about this, I need to get the newer binos out along with the GPS I bought last year and make sure all is well. The GPS is pretty cool as it is loaded with tons of maps including trail maps which is handy in national parks. Worked well in the Tetons and helped us get on the right trail to go see some falls we were looking for. Runs on AAA batteries so I took a bunch with me but never had to change them. Like many things it took time to figure out how to use features. If I ever need or want new binos I now know what you guys have used with great success so I don't have to shop around. My AC binos are very light. Good stuff from you guys as always.