Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Binoculars for Bird Watching

While I am on my optic junk, let me tell you about my best toy.
    That would be my binoculars. Good binoculars make my life better. As I have stated here before, use them daily and it escapes me if you do not. One thing most don't realize is binos also work great at night.

These days good binos can be bought for a couple hundred bucks:applouse:.
    I bought my first pair (10X20) from a pawn shop for $20 and I was amazed. A YC friend encouraged me around '95 and I looked into an upgrade. I splurged after exhaustive search and "hands on" all over town, and ordered Eagle Optics "house brand" RANGERS in 10X42. These were about $400, came with a life time warranty (a real one, EO is a great company). At the time these were a major investment and seemed to the Bride a silly one. I have them still and use them all the time. I always take them on the boat. Being on the lake w/o these is not an option. Better can be bought for less now. My "Rangers" are worn smooth and not for sale:smiley_simmons:.

If you don't have binos or want to up grade, just buy these:
    http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...0x50-binocular
    Don't think about, don't research, just buy those. These are a deal, and cheaper than when I bought the older model years ago, under $300 right now and you can't buy them used on ebay for that.
    Attachment 2780

In the 90's went into a pawn shop and the owner had taken in a new pair of Swarovski he had bought for a tune. He had no idea these were $2K+ binos. I made him take them off the rack. Either these were stolen, or I had found a deal for me.
    They were not just stolen, but stolen from a newly opened "Wild Bird" shop owned by one of my freinds --> another cop. Loosing that inventory would have been a huge hit on a new business. He was happy, but not happy enough to ever buy me a beer or offer me a discount for getting them back for him. Just kidding. He told me he was using the same bino himself. He said he had been a fan of spotting scopes but on a trip when he got to look through his excellent scope and Swarovski binos at the same bird, he changed.

My "Rangers" were all I needed and still all I need.

..but...

About ten years ago when I had an extra dollar and had established my CatBird seat here on the porch, looked into upgrading my "Rangers". I looked first at Swarovski. These are excellent. There are a few other top shelf bino companies, and I suspect it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. Weight means a lot as vision is impaired by any movement. Image stabilization has not evolved in binos as much as one would guess, so weight is very important. It means less to me as I sit on my ass, but it means a lot. All good binos are waterproof.

I like 12X50, but 8X40 is the most popular bino.
    I prefer 12 power when sitting, and the 50 lens bring in more light. Close focus is very important to me. Always look at the "close focus range" of any bino you buy. Those Rangers above focus at 8 foot.

I had also acquired a pair of 12X50 Rangers years back. Those Rangers live at my bedside, are all beat up, and I use them constantly to look out as I lie in bed. The yard is alive and always changing. These are also not for sale as I would just have to replace them.

I began "fantasy" searching for the best possible bino for my needs. I knew I would use them constantly for years. The "best" is different as different people have different needs. After years of daily use, knew what my needs were.
    I wanted 12X50 that were not too heavy, focused close, and were crystal clear.
    after weeks of comparing, bought these:
    Attachment 2779
    Leica Ultravid HD 12x50

I may have more time looking through these over the last few years than at my TV.
    I would call them the "best buy" of all my junk. The images are hard to describe. i can look at a flower 50' off from my chair and see it better than if I go hold it in my hand. I have a decent camera, but it cannot capture what these show you.
    Should you buy these, probably not. Buy the Rangers and once they take over your life, maybe you will want to upgrade, but I doubt it as you will think could improve on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My game day and concert binos are the Pentax 10X33 DCF XP. I also use these when walking my animals, or any time I travel. My Leicas never leave the porch, too valuable (see tale below). Using these is a joy, not a sacrifice. For 99%, these would be a very good buy.

Attachment 2783

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-DCF-XP-...=pentax+dcf+xp

I got a deal on these with a coupon a few years back right after the Bride left my similar Steiner on the seat after a Clemson Game. These Pentax are small and only weigh 17oz. They focus at 5ft.
    Vision wise, they are big, and amazingly clear. Don't confuse these with binos in the 10X20 range, not the same thing, not even close. You get a real picture with these. In fact I advise not to buy 10X20 ever as they are difficult for people who don't use binos often. The same is true for monoculars, telescopes, etc. I have those. There is a learning curve for optics, and it takes time to become proficient, and more time to prefer them over eyes.

These binos are my "walk about" bino of choice. I am positive there are better, but only slightly better and not near this price.

If you want a bino to move around with, these are my choice. I suspect they would also be excellent for kids as they are very light and smaller for tiny hands.
    I keep mine in my main room where all the big windows are and use them everyday, as does the Bride. These are her favorites.
    They are not cheap and not the newest model, but I give them 5 *****.
    If you can spurge a little, you will be very happy with these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am the only guy in a tie

Best Binoculars for Bird Watching

Thought I might re-post some things here from my "junk" page as this thread is "open" to the public.

The best binos are different for all.
    Join me and post your thoughts on binoculars for birding and for other endeavors.

Binocualrs are like audio gear and running shoes. We all think we know all, and our crap is the best crap.

Join in with tales and questions.

Join YardCrap if you are not a member. Birders are always welcome.

Why is no one posting on threads I put up?

Name:  stay-paranoid-and-trust-no-one-paranoid-pictures-right-wing-257x300.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  34.7 KB

Just saw this great deal on binos on Amazon - today only.

If you need another pair, this looks to be a super deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-713...887438&sr=1-12
    Name:  51UAKTkpCXL._SL1200_.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  31.1 KB

CPT
    Ok; they better be very good....else you just got be again, Bill (I sprung for the $500 phono preamp 'cause of you....I GUESS that's worked out...).

Tried to 1st order the Eagle optics as I thought the top of this thread was your current post on it. The link informed me that Eagle Optics is gone...I was going to jump on the one's you said "just buy these...now!". I'm a sucker; I trust people!

The reason for all this was that several years ago a very nice pair of bino's was at an estate sale for $80. I liked them but offered $60. Knowing what they were worth, the guy managing the sale refused w/o even a counter. I came back the next day ready to pay $80 but they were gone... Regreted it since. Wednesday while on the roof enjoying 360 degrees of fireworks, I once again lamented not getting these glasses as my cheap sucky one's were well, just sucking and it was better just using naked eyes...

How do these Amazon specials compare to the Eagle 0x50's, Bill? Hope they at least just as good; else, I will be kicking self for not trying to get the Eagles used on ePrey!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    Ok; they better be very good....else you just got be again, Bill (I sprung for the $500 phono preamp 'cause of you....I GUESS that's worked out...).

Tried to 1st order the Eagle optics as I thought the top of this thread was your current post on it. The link informed me that Eagle Optics is gone...I was going to jump on the one's you said "just buy these...now!". I'm a sucker; I trust people!

The reason for all this was that several years ago a very nice pair of bino's was at an estate sale for $80. I liked them but offered $60. Knowing what they were worth, the guy managing the sale refused w/o even a counter. I came back the next day ready to pay $80 but they were gone... Regreted it since. Wednesday while on the roof enjoying 360 degrees of fireworks, I once again lamented not getting these glasses as my cheap sucky one's were well, just sucking and it was better just using naked eyes...

How do these Amazon specials compare to the Eagle 0x50's, Bill? Hope they at least just as good; else, I will be kicking self for not trying to get the Eagles used on ePrey!
    Clestron is an old brand and they know how to make optics.
    I am not positive, but believe they made the binos sold by Eagle under their name.
    I doubt anything in the $253 price range will match these.

Well all this is very interesting. I have a pair of binos that I got for christmas in the 60s. They are Almer Coe 7x35 extra wide angle featherweight with special lenses that allow for use in low light. I have had them for all this time and love them. I also bought a smaller pair last summer to take to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone Park area. They were on sale for I think $150 and are ok. I should have just taken my old pair as they are great. Oddly enough I have a video camera that uses small DVD discs and it has a 40 power digital zoom. If you can hold it still it is amazing. I haven't taken it too many places since I just carry my iPhone but I will take it to Yosemite in September. It works well and at times it has allowed me to see things far off that binos and my wife's SLR could not really make out. The 40 power is not great in low light but I have been at a zoo in the summer and everyone was trying to see the lions up in the shade and I could not only see them but it was like their faces were about a foot away. They are not crystal clear but part of this is due to having a tough time keeping still. I have a tripod but who is going to carry that around. Thinking about this, I need to get the newer binos out along with the GPS I bought last year and make sure all is well. The GPS is pretty cool as it is loaded with tons of maps including trail maps which is handy in national parks. Worked well in the Tetons and helped us get on the right trail to go see some falls we were looking for. Runs on AAA batteries so I took a bunch with me but never had to change them. Like many things it took time to figure out how to use features. If I ever need or want new binos I now know what you guys have used with great success so I don't have to shop around. My AC binos are very light. Good stuff from you guys as always.

Marty on the dock now, but back at the house have a photo of you and my "Rangers" back in the 90's. They are with me today on the dock. Good binos last forever, even abusing them as I do. The rubber is worn, the quality remains. I believe Ed will be very happy. It takes some practice to use binos, but not much.

In my CatBird house are my Leica.
    You can buy them here:
    https://www.sportoptics.com/leica-ul...lus-12x50.aspx

Is the price difference worth it? Not to most people who keep their binos in the closet. I look through mine a few times a day and have them placed at windows (or on the porch) where they are handy. I feel blind without a pair nearby. My birds are an exciting part of my life. I leave no stone unturned to keep them happy so they will visit. On the porch with my Leica lets me see my birds clearly. That is not to say my Rangers or Pentax are not excellent at that job.

One day I went into a pawn shop on S Blvd and they had bought a pair of Swarovski worth about $1500 from some dirt bag. I told him not to sell them. He was upset as had $300 in them and begged. As a birder knew I what these were. They were shoplifted from the bird store on Independence near McAlpine. I took the binos, and returned them to the shop. The pawn shop guy was out $300. The funny thing was the store was owned by a cop's wife. He was happy as a loss like that would have been hard on a new business. The thief went free - as always as the courts are the courts.

Marty your Almer Coe 7x35 go for $9.99 on ebay. They work well for many.
    My first pair was bought used for $20 and were 10X20.
    I was amazed and hooked, had no idea what real binos could do.

My friend Chuck Farley uses these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Steiner-575-7...ilpage_o00_s00

They are excellent. They are bright and clear.

My experience is to buy what fills your need.
    The first thing is power. The wisdom of experts is low around 7 or 8. That is due to the fact that higher power are harder to hold stable. The great Larry Barden used 8 power Rangers. I got my friend Carol in Ark to buy the same and she was very happy.
    As I am still stable, find higher power to be OK. On the porch where I am on stable on my ass, use 12, in the boat and on the dock use 10.

The next deal is the other end that grabs light. Larger is better in lower light. For instance, 10X40 or 10X50.

I find the deal when walking about to be weight for me more than other things. My "walkabouts" are 10X32. they are small and excellent. These go with me to concerts and ball games.

Cheap optics are that. These days China is putting out some excellent optics at a lower price.

Look at specs.
    I look for how close they can focus and how much they weigh. Close focus is important to me.
    The deal used to be $$$, but less so these days.

I don't think they make the Almer Coe any more. My parents bought them from a guy that had a little shop and bought buy out stuff. I think they paid $35.00 in around 1965. I also bought a pair of Carson 10x20 last summer. They are really compact and work well. I have never done a comparison when I had lots to choose from. I wanted compact and clear. Both of mine fit that bill. I don't use them that much but plan to use more in the future. When I go out west I will take a pair with me. They were fun last year and allowed me to pick up some wild life far away that I would not have been able to make out other wise. The little Carson focus at about 4 feet. They are pretty light.

On another completely different note, I am thinking about buying a black powder long riffle like one used in the revolutionary war. I saw some being made in Williamsburg, Va and should have gone and fired one a few time which you can do. I have found a place that makes what the call Pennsylvania long riffles that are the original length etc. I may see if I can buy one from Williamsburg. Just thought it would be fun to shoot and see how accurately I can fire it for 100 yards or so. One of the riffle makers claimed he could hit an 8" square target at 200 yards. I also have to find an outdoor range where I could shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    On another completely different note, I am thinking about buying a black powder long riffle like one used in the revolutionary war. I saw some being made in Williamsburg, Va and should have gone and fired one a few time which you can do. I have found a place that makes what the call Pennsylvania long riffles that are the original length etc. I may see if I can buy one from Williamsburg. Just thought it would be fun to shoot and see how accurately I can fire it for 100 yards or so. One of the riffle makers claimed he could hit an 8" square target at 200 yards. I also have to find an outdoor range where I could shoot it.
    Check with Claude, he has been into that for years. You can shoot off his porch.
    Here are some:

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow..._SEQ_104641380

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I like these binoculars https://www.amazon.com/Steiner-575-7...ilpage_o00_s00 that Bill refers to. I'm just pissed though that they are now $70 less than I paid for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast