Thread: Best Binoculars for Bird Watching

Threaded View

While I am on my optic junk, let me tell you about my best toy.
    That would be my binoculars. Good binoculars make my life better. As I have stated here before, use them daily and it escapes me if you do not. One thing most don't realize is binos also work great at night.

These days good binos can be bought for a couple hundred bucks:applouse:.
    I bought my first pair (10X20) from a pawn shop for $20 and I was amazed. A YC friend encouraged me around '95 and I looked into an upgrade. I splurged after exhaustive search and "hands on" all over town, and ordered Eagle Optics "house brand" RANGERS in 10X42. These were about $400, came with a life time warranty (a real one, EO is a great company). At the time these were a major investment and seemed to the Bride a silly one. I have them still and use them all the time. I always take them on the boat. Being on the lake w/o these is not an option. Better can be bought for less now. My "Rangers" are worn smooth and not for sale:smiley_simmons:.

If you don't have binos or want to up grade, just buy these:
    http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...0x50-binocular
    Don't think about, don't research, just buy those. These are a deal, and cheaper than when I bought the older model years ago, under $300 right now and you can't buy them used on ebay for that.
    Attachment 2780

In the 90's went into a pawn shop and the owner had taken in a new pair of Swarovski he had bought for a tune. He had no idea these were $2K+ binos. I made him take them off the rack. Either these were stolen, or I had found a deal for me.
    They were not just stolen, but stolen from a newly opened "Wild Bird" shop owned by one of my freinds --> another cop. Loosing that inventory would have been a huge hit on a new business. He was happy, but not happy enough to ever buy me a beer or offer me a discount for getting them back for him. Just kidding. He told me he was using the same bino himself. He said he had been a fan of spotting scopes but on a trip when he got to look through his excellent scope and Swarovski binos at the same bird, he changed.

My "Rangers" were all I needed and still all I need.

..but...

About ten years ago when I had an extra dollar and had established my CatBird seat here on the porch, looked into upgrading my "Rangers". I looked first at Swarovski. These are excellent. There are a few other top shelf bino companies, and I suspect it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. Weight means a lot as vision is impaired by any movement. Image stabilization has not evolved in binos as much as one would guess, so weight is very important. It means less to me as I sit on my ass, but it means a lot. All good binos are waterproof.

I like 12X50, but 8X40 is the most popular bino.
    I prefer 12 power when sitting, and the 50 lens bring in more light. Close focus is very important to me. Always look at the "close focus range" of any bino you buy. Those Rangers above focus at 8 foot.

I had also acquired a pair of 12X50 Rangers years back. Those Rangers live at my bedside, are all beat up, and I use them constantly to look out as I lie in bed. The yard is alive and always changing. These are also not for sale as I would just have to replace them.

I began "fantasy" searching for the best possible bino for my needs. I knew I would use them constantly for years. The "best" is different as different people have different needs. After years of daily use, knew what my needs were.
    I wanted 12X50 that were not too heavy, focused close, and were crystal clear.
    after weeks of comparing, bought these:
    Attachment 2779
    Leica Ultravid HD 12x50

I may have more time looking through these over the last few years than at my TV.
    I would call them the "best buy" of all my junk. The images are hard to describe. i can look at a flower 50' off from my chair and see it better than if I go hold it in my hand. I have a decent camera, but it cannot capture what these show you.
    Should you buy these, probably not. Buy the Rangers and once they take over your life, maybe you will want to upgrade, but I doubt it as you will think could improve on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images