Many people who consider them self to be a "bird watcher/birder" keep a life list of birds they have identified. I recommend that as a way to add to the fun.
I don't have a "life list", wish I did. Some of my friends plan a trip or a vacation around adding one just bird to their list. They get to see a lot, do a lot and also have a fun goal in the background of the trip. Building a list is easy - to a point, then it is very, very difficult.

I do keep lists. I have for years. I have a book I randomly add a count to for what I see here in a couple hours on the deck with a couple beers and some good music. The last couple years, often have posted it on my blog as I sit here on my ass and count what is here. Twenty to thirty is normal, but they change day to day and of course seasons change the list. I can open up the book to a similar date last year or years back and see what I should be looking for, very handy in Fall and Spring, add to the fun any day you do it.

When I moved here ten years ago I started a list of birds I might see here. The rules (you get to make them what ever you want) is that only birds I see in the yard or from my yard count. I also add in birds I see on the lake. The list is 151 now. I have seen more, but since no one is checking, err on the side of caution as sometimes all you get is a glimpse. I never count one on just one sighting. They will return someday, and I don't want to add them all at once. Most I have a photo good enough in quality to at least prove my sighting, but not always. Adding a new bird is very exciting. Just seeing what might be one for the book gets my heart beat so high I can't hold the binos steady. I am not exaggerating.

I also have a list of birds I have attracted onto the deck. That list is over 50. Many more have surely been here, but I missed then so far. I had to stop luring them here because of the big windows on my deck. They tend to crash into them if they are eating and get frightened. Just this Winter I had to house a Finch for three weeks utill he was recovered.

If you are going to give bird watching a try, you need a list and rules. You get to make the rules and can have as many lists as entertain you. Whenever I get to a new place, like the ocean, I start a list. It really adds to the fun. You could start one for - "the green feeder" or whatever.

Name:  Blue Jay.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  169.8 KB