Water features in the garden can be fun. I have 4. Below is a perpetual fountain I put on my deck 10 years ago and my garden pond I dug in about 6 years ago. Both still work, interest/entertain me and add to the garden for my rare visitors.

Both attract critters and birds. Both need little maintenance, and normal rain keeps them full.
The fountain (that needs a beauty update) is kept full by run off from the roof. It is a bird magnet. Basically, I put a plastic tub with a small pump and send water up through a cast aluminum bird bath I got on sale. I put wire over the tub, added some plastic mulch and a couple side plants. It works flawlessly, but I would like to tear it down this Winter and expand on the planting areas. As you can see, put it outside a window, so it is fun from in the house too.

The pond is 4000 gallons I dug in with a pick and shovel (don't recommend that, get a backhoe) and is a breeding ground for fish and turtles. It is going strong after several years, so I must be doing something right. The up keep is minimal as I am lazy. I disagree with almost all posted "WWW wisdom" on ponds.

I also have a frog pond and a bridge pond. At the end of the day, I may not be known as an expert, but I can do the job. I got my first pet fish at 7 years old and have been learning for decades. Most ponds you see are cess pools, including display ponds at the dealers. That is because they all interbreed with false info.

If you have good tales or bad, post it here. If you have questions or are thinking about adding something -> sound it out here. As a plus, add in any aquarium questions/thoughts.

Name:  Gardenpond.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  20.8 KBName:  fountain.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  20.6 KB