Winter Gear

Did I post this before?

No matter, people log in and want something to read. Some of our most prolific readers who check in often, seldom contribute, just want something to read (shame).
Name:  shame.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  68.8 KB

I will dedicate this to them and hope they soon post more often, and maybe even someday start a thread. Crap is good, see below

----------

I hate cold. It scares me. Southern born, I love heat and humidity. I used to tease racers on a hot day that I could drink from the air. (I believe that was true. A hot, humid day worked in my favor).

My Bride claims I have a glove fetish. She is a cold weather Yank. I don't have a fetish, just collect gloves like pocket knives as different types are needed at different times. I like hi-tech, so always searching for better.

Most people live inside homes and cars. Some work out side in the elements. I have the luxury of choosing, and I choose outside, sitting on my ass with my high end stereo and my expensive binos and camera. Sitting on my porch with my Beagle is my main hobby. I have a small freezer out here for beer as refrigerators I tried did not do the job of keeping the beer at 29 degrees:bull_head:. All know I have the best outdoor audio I can devise after years of trial and error (thanks for the endless help guys). I have an excellent computer out here. I don't take my gear in and out, it all lives here on the porch. Walk on my deck and Rosey will certainly sound the alarm. Then my job is to run out with a shotgun loaded with Hornaday ZOMBIE shells. So far, no gear lost.

Sitting here like now at 88 degrees is a joy. I a fan as Rosey likes them. I use the Dyson blade-less model to keep my Hummingbirds safe. Unlike the Al Gore crowd and their wind mills, I do care about about protecting critters. I can't help the EAGLES those kill, but don't want a fan chewing up my critters.
Name:  bladeless-desk-top-fan.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  24.8 KB

I installed a misting system, but that is mostly crap in a humid environment and Rosey hates water. Misting is for guys out West with low humidity.

Winter is a different challenge, and I enjoy the challenge. Me and my girl are always out here on the coldest days. Our challenge is to be more comfortable here than inside. Heaters are cheating, but Rosey does have an electric polar tec blanket now that she is older:kiwi-fruit:.

I don't safari to the snow covered mountains, but I do search for the best gear to sit on my ass with. Gear must be activity specific. I have routinely hit the roads jogging at below freezing in just shorts. Mountain climbing or foot racing require different gear from sitting on your ass with a glass of beer.

To find the best gear for my hobby, I look to guys who fish on a frozen lakes. I want gear that brings a sweat if I move. I want it light, thin and high tech. The search is for comfortable gear that makes me more comfortable than inside by the fire inside. I have that, but the fun of the search goes on.

I have about 20 years of expereince in my search..
Being a geeser, prefer old tech when possible.
That being said, the big discovery for me was back in the 90's with Polar Tec. That is great stuff. Every year I search for upgrades , but actually have arrived as to wamth since Polar Tec 300. Why is there not a 400, 800, 1000??

Down is great. All down is not equal. The real stuff costs more. I have down pants, jackets, socks, hats, etc.

Wool is nice. I like wool and have/will invest there just because I like it.

Many synthetics are out there and I like them too, but most times will buy from the above materials. I have some "magic" Artic Shield bibs bought years back. I like them. Now I see an ugrade and see with my discount at Sportsman, can get them for $152, shipped/no tax. I doubt I can tell the difference in what I have and those. Like audio wires -- mental counts as we want the best in our hobbies. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1311453
Anyone want my old pair (size large) let me know, they are great, have a tough cordura outer. I can ship for about $10 bucks and you send me a CD in return.

I have every glove known to man. I need them all. Actually, I have found what I need is better glommits. I have the best, but my search for better continues. On the porch I type and use my binos. To do that, fingers need to be able to pop out, and then return in an instant to a warmer place. 99% of glommitts are one size fits all. Like with hats, never buy those.

Hats are important. It is a myth that most body heat is lost with the head. Warm head cover is hard to find. In my hobby search, $$ is no object. This section will require a separate post, in fact think I did one. What ever you have is crap, believe me, warm hats are hard to find.

Feet are just impossible.
It is the only place where I sometimes cheat with battery insoles, and they are pretty much junk. Like in all parts of the body, layers are the key. Like with gloves, one must always buy over sized as any compression is too much. Feet crap you walk in not the same as feet crap you sit in. Layers are key. Those big heavy, clumbsy pac boots are out.

Coats are fun. 99% of guys in the South (and maybe you) don't undertand coats. In my early days, a deninm jacket was enough, and a leather jacket was my goal. Neither are worth a damn in this hobby. I have the best examples of both, but neither provide insuslation --> leather does block wind.
The problem with coats is most think you put on a quality coat and they are "good to go". Nope. Being "good to go" is addressing all the areas above. Being "good to go" is about accessories. Then you top with a quality coat, not before. A coat is not a miricle worker.
I have a few, well according to the Bride - a lot.
My favorite is an over sized, quality shearling long coat that would go for maybe $1K+ these days. Maybe not the best tech, but extemely warm, and I feel like a millionare when I have it on. After many years, I have never worn it off the porch as it is too warm to walk with in SC. On the porch, it knows no equal.

All advice appreciated.