Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: birding photography

I got into cameras beyond some excellent "point and shoot" with the Olympus e-620.
    The deal for a normal guy not a PRO is $$.
    For birding, the deal is a lens that can reach out. Cameras are expensive, but lens are just silly $$$$$.

Olympus got into the 4/3 market, and in my opinion they have crushed it and have no equal as to the common man.
    A 4/3 lens doubles, so a 300mm lens is the equal of a 600mm lens. Olympus puts great emphasis on camera image stabilization as common guys don't often use a tripod.
    Serious birders use a spotting scope or a camera on a tripod. I ain't that serious, but am a lot more mobile.

Major camera makers like Cannon and Nikon make excellent gear.
    A full frame 600mm Cannon lens with built in stabilization is only $12,999, and weighs 7 pounds.
    A 300mm Olympus 4/3 (so 600mm) is $2499 and weighs just 3.2 pounds.
    I am not saying any common guy needs either of these lens, but it is the same through out the lines.

Holding the Cannon 600mm in your hands even with the image stabilization is seldom what is done even by Pros due to weight.
    The Olympus can obtain very good photos hand held.

As to camera bodies, most of the top brands are very similar and all produce great results even on complete auto. The deal is the lens available.
    Oympus like others has a 2X converter that doubles. It was $500 and can still be found on ebay for much less. That means that for just one f stop a lens is doubled.
    The lens in the contest (15-54mm zoom) is a 28-108 on this 4/3 camera.

I now use a Olympus Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II I got used.
    https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Mirrorless-Camera-Megapixels-5-Axis/dp/B01M4MB3DK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=15503541 72&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Olympus+OM-D+E-M1&psc=1
    Name:  emd.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  96.8 KB

How does it compare to the E-620?
    Both take excellent photos, and the newer model is a plus to an idiot like me as the camera can do more work. To a Pro who understands photography, it is exceptional. I am not that and mostly use auto things. I change things and learn with trial and error. Lately I have been playing with HDR (High Dynamic Range) and not sure if that will be of help to me with the my bird friends.
    Here is one today using that:
    Name:  P2164310a.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  29.4 KB
    A few different takes are made and combined to make one. As can be seen, I was not steady.

The big difference for me is it has better stabilization and more points for auto focus.
    For a guy like me hunting birds on the go or drinking beer in my chair, manual focus and tripods are not a possibility. Better stabilization is -- better.
    Both bodies take equally excellent photos. The deal is neither camera, but the idiot pushing the button.

I have acquired a few lens over many years.
    Lens are the gorilla in the room.
    This one for that and --?

Most of mine don't get used, just the three below.

Now invested in those, kinda locked into cameras that can use them. I am happy as to that.
    I made a couple silly choices early on and have some never used.
    I always buy used on ebay.
    I now have a few that are useful to me and much better than me.

My hobby is a Chickadee up close or a Hawk at a mile off.
    I can also show and do your your wedding, reunion or WTF. My price is just an open bar.

My main 3 lens are:

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0
    Name:  12-100.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  60.7 KB

Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5
    Name:  50-200.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  29.3 KB

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0
    Name:  300.jpg
Views: 147