Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Build A Pond - the right way

Part 6

I needed a waterfall. In my youth, Spring Houses were built over places where a natural spring surfaced, (it was County law to cover it before it could be labeled potable). I built a Spring House out of Cedar. I put a windmill on it to pump water. Of course of that is real. At the back you can see a filter/tub behind the Jasmine screen (no Jasmine yet). Eventually I replaced the smaller tub with the same size as the one in the ground. Gravity takes the water from the tub through the Spring House.
    Name:  windmill place.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  springhouse3.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  61.6 KB
    Jumping forward a bit, you can see it turned out OK.
    Name:  springhouse5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  81.1 KB

K wanted to do her part, here she is mounting a Heron:
    Name:  KHeron1=6.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  70.6 KB
    I have real Herons, Egrets, Terns, Grebes, even Comorants etc in the cove a hundred foot away. Herons are solitary birds. The theory is they won't come where another is except during mating so a decoy work opposite for them. All I can say is that I have never had/seen a Heron at this pond. I was no where near water in Matthews and they raided my pond a few times, so go figure!

Part 7

We got the deck boarded up by mid Jan. All my flower boxes will need to filled with rich soil, but Rosey is quite pleased with it so far.
    Name:  flowerboxes.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  86.6 KB
    I added some chairs, some plants and all that needs work s the path. I covered it in flat rock I found nearby and sprinkled on white marble chips, it came out good. Of course by 2013 the path sprouts moss and green things.
    Name:  primetime2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  100.7 KB

The grass in the front bed spread and filled in completely. That is a dwarf mondo grass. It is kinda expensive, but requires no maintenance.

I needed an island for the turtles. I used 3 inch PVC pipe to form a stand as that is strong and cheap. The frame sits inside a shallow tub sold at Lowes to mix concrete in. That protects the liner. I piled flat rocks on top I gathered from the Lake. It is quite heavy and now is covered in Moss. Beneath the water level, it is an open frame to aid in circulation.
    Name:  primetime5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  86.7 KB
    Flash forward to the present and here it is being enjoyed by Turtles and a frog.
    Name:  island2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  82.8 KB

Over all, I think it came out OK. It might not be what you want in your yard as every pond and every pond owner is different. Being able to pay my labor force with dog biscuits made this affordable. I have no idea what it would cost to hire it all done.

PFC
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Part 3

The pumps will be in this, not in the pond. Pumps will work the tub and gravity will work the pond.
    Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  86.6 KB
    Name:  filter2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  109.5 KB

Do you have a picture of the rubbermaid tub with the Pump and the Bio Balls installed?
    Steve
    Last edited by SteveK; 07-20-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add picture

Part now

Here is the pond nearly 8 years later. It may fail tomorrow, but has functioned well to date. All critters are happy and thriving. The extra islands are floating things I change plants in and out of. One of my hobbies has become finding which normal plants will live with wet feet.
    Name:  pondtoday.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  110.3 KB

Name:  ponddesign.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  81.3 KB
    The big turtle in front sits on a box concealing night lights. I have changed lighting many times. These days with LED, power is nil. The pond is special at night, and I never know who will show up for a drink. In the rear corner is a bug zapper. That comes on each night, zaps the bugs and they fall into the pond. The fish, frogs and turtles gather near it each night. That thing almost pays for itself in free protein for my critters. It is certainly entertaining.

The chairs have been replaced in favor of that big rocker. The big flower box has a Japanese Maple in the two corners and a Camilla in the middle corner that flowers near Christmas. Now in Summer it sports Hostas due to the shade and in Spring is full of Daffodils. Every plant conceived in the original diagram is in place and doing well except the Kerria. I did not like it there and replaced it with a native Nadina I found in the woods. I don't know nearly as much about digging a hole as I do about plants.

Unlike years back after grading bare to build the house, my place now looks over grown to most. Rabbit called it a Jungle. I grow different grasses, but no lawn as I have no lawn mower. (I am lazy and too busy to cut grass)

I used to spend half my time trying to grow things and half cutting them back. Now it is 90% cutting them back. ( I did put in 7 new plants around the place today as I am a fool for any new plant.

My place entertains me to no end and this pond is constantly changing entertainment. It is completely different in each season and in each year. I sit outside a lot (like now) so it is not money wasted in my case. Right now my audio system is too loud and birds are in my trees. Life is good in South Carolina if you have a Beagle to do the thinking for you.

Name:  Son of the South.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  96.7 KB
    I am the only guy in a tie

GREAT thread, Bill!

Maybe one day (when I'm 80-something) I'll be able to retire & relax with a place on the water & spend too much time "piddling" with gardens, ponds, etc.

My older brother just retired & he says his goal is to become a PROFESSIONAL "piddler"....

Yes, great thread! What a cool project and nice place to hand out. Looks like a lot of work but a labor of love, someday...

Great post AO.....I just recently got, somewhat, into ponds and they are a great source of entertainment.
    I once was a member of BNI, (business related) and one of the members was a landscape 'expert'. I got him to give me an estimate for a 'disappearing fountain'.
    His quote was about $2,300.00. I did refrain from laughing.
    I, finally, got around to making my own. Cost? About $125.00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12