PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder

TNRabbit R.I.P.
11-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I stole this from someone at another site, so don't blame me for any errors:

If you're a song bird lover, you probably share a common experience: squirrels.

Squirrels are pigs. They're tree-bound rats with long trails. They aren't content to feast off of the abundance of nuts that the forest provides. They love sunflower seeds and as soon as they spot a bird feeder full of them, they converge and attack without mercy. They can purge a large bird feeder of seed within 24 hours. While I was once fortunate to witness one brave bird go into attack fighter mode and dive bomb one squirrel that was gorging himself and drop the offender to the ground, most tweeties are defenseless against the furry horde.

You've no doubt purchased several feeders which were advertised as squirrel-proof only to discover that they were anything but squirrel-proof. If you're like me, you subsequently resorted to your own designs. I've gone through at least a dozen only to learn that squirrels are both persistent and smart. I've had them chew through the wire that suspended the feeder so it crashed to the ground. I've even had them go into beaver mode and try to topple a 4x4 post that held the feeder after I put a piece of stove pipe around it to prevent them from climbing up. I've seen them easily scurry up a piece of 1-1/2" pipe I thought would be too small for them to climb.

So, finally after revision X, I have the ultimate design which I am all too happy to share with you. Voila:

It uses commonly available 1-1/2" cast iron pipe for strength and durability; 2 commonly available garden flower pot hooks to suspend the feeder; and a 6" PVC pipe and commercial squirrel blocker to prevent the little terds from climbing the pole. To date, not a single squirrel has defeated the design and made it to the feeders.

Materials:

-- One 10' section of 1-1/2" cast iron pipe from Lowes. Cut into one 2' section and one 8' section; threaded on both ends of the 8 footer and one end of the 2 footer. Lowes will cut and thread for you.

-- One threaded 1-1/2" coupler to join the 2 sections of pipe together.

-- One threaded 1-1/2" cast iron pipe cap to cap the top off for appearance and to keep moisture out.

-- 2 steel/iron flower pot hanger hooks available from most garden centers.

-- A short piece of 6" PVC pipe.

-- 4 3/8" x 3" galvanized bolts plus one nut each.

-- A squirrel baffle (the semi-spherical dome shown in the pic). Got mine from Lowes for $13

-- 60# bag of concrete.

-- Can or primer and finish spray paint.

-- 2 bird feeders of your choice. Don't waste money on so-called squirrel proof versions.

Theory of Operation:

-- Most importantly, the feed pole has to be located far enough from a tree or other structure as to prevent squirrels from jumping from there to the feeder pole.

-- Since they have no way to jump onto the feeder, they are going to try and climb up the pole. They will get as far as the 6" PVC pipe. The pipe is too big for them to climb around it. The smaller squirrels might make it inside the pipe, but they will get as far as the baffle on top of the PVC and be stopped dead in their tracks. The baffle alone may be sufficient. But since this is the ultimate feeder, I added the 6" PVC pipe.

-- Since the pole is made of cast iron, they're not going to be able to chew threw it and drop it to the ground (until such time as they learn how to use a hacksaw).

Construction:

-- Buy the components from your local hardware store. Note: you do not necessarily have to cut the 10' into 8' and 2' sections. I did so because I buried the 2' section, then used the female-female threaded coupler to attach the 8' section above ground. This was I can take the top section down for maintenance or repainting in the future. You could just bury the entire 10' section.

-- Find a local welding shop who can weld the arched flower pot hangers onto the side of the pipe near the top of the pipe as shown in the photo. Guy Brothers did mine for $20.

-- Lightly sand the pipe and fittings, 6" PVC pipe, arched flower pot hangers, and squirrel baffle. Prime with a quality primer; allow to dry and coat with several light coats of finish paint. You may also need to use a clean wrap with some mineral spirits or thinner to get the coat of oil off of the pipe before painting. Spending some time here and doing it right will result in a finish that will last for years. Wait 24-48 hours until the paint has hardened.

-- Find a spot for the pole and use a post-hole digger to dig a hole about 20" inches deep. You'll want the coupler a few inches above ground.

-- Find 2 or 3 old 3-4" bolts laying around in your shop and drill holes in the lower 2/3 of the 2' section of pipe to allow them to pass thru. I use this technique to ensure the pipe won't turn loose after it has been set in the concrete. The bolts sticking thru the pipe will act as anchors and ensure the pipe stays in place.

-- When you're ready to install the pipe in the ground, round up your tools to mix the concrete and a level so you can plumb the pipe. Join the 2' and 8' section of the pipe together using the threaded couple. You'll need 2 pipe wrenches (your paint finish will be marred a little in this step). I also coat the threads and the insides of the pipes near the fittings with grease to retard the rusting process.

-- Throw an inch or 2 of stones or gravel in the hole for drainage. Set the pipe in place and check plumb with the level. Have your helper shovel in some concrete as you recheck the plumb. Tamp down the concrete as you go. When the hole is filled, it should be stable enough to stand on its own until the concrete sets. Otherwise setup some supports to hold it.

-- Wait a day or more for the concrete to dry. Now you can install the squirrel blocker. Drill 4 holes 90-degrees apart about 2-3" down from the top of the 6" PVC. The holes should be one size smaller than the 4 galvanized bolts you purchased. This will allow you to thread the bolts into the plastic pipe. First put the nuts on the bolts, then thread the bolts into the 6" pipe. These 4 bolts will act to clamp the 6" PVC onto the cast iron pipe. Slide the 6" PVC over the top of the cast iron pipe. Set the top at about eye level. Tighten all 4 bolts a little at a time until the PVC is securely fasten. Then tighten the bolts tight against the PVC to keep them from moving in the future (see photo)

-- Now slide the squirrel baffle on so its sits on top of the PVC pipe. I had to use a metal file to make the hole in the baffle large enough to fit over the cast iron pipe.

-- Now you can screw your cast iron cap onto the top of the pole.

-- Hang your 2 bird feeders from the 2 hooks.

-- Enjoy your victory over the furry rats!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/YardCrap/ReallySquirrelProofBirdFeeder.jpg

AgentOrange
11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Alternate plan for lazy, poor people:triumphant::

- buy one of those spikes from Lowes you drive into the ground that a 4X4 fits into. Put a 4x4x6 into it. Center feeder on top. Those spikes will hold a 4x4 straight forever and are a lot easier to use than a hole and concrete. I hate to see someone with a pole that is not straight, don't be that guy:sorrow:. To me a 4x4 looks a hell of of a lot better than a metal pole. A 4x4x8 is about $5, add a little stain the color of you choice and :cheerful:.

If you want to hang some of the tube feeders, the 4x4 could be as long as needed, one 16 foot is only about ten bucks. Keep in mind to keep all feeders at a reachable level as you will have to refill them.

Critters can't climb up a 4X4 very well and onto a feeder like below as the feeder bottom serves the same purpose as the expensive baffle used in the last post.

To dress it up and make it even harder to climb, you can cover the 4x4 with a square PVC sleeve which can be painted if desired. I have one of those sleeves on the 4x4 holding my flag. In most applications I prefer just a stained 4x4.

Mostly, I disagree with his assessment of Squirrels. I like my squirrels. They are as much fun as the birds. You just have to work out different applications to feed them. The critter that takes most of my food is the Chipmunk. Chipmunks can climb like squirrels, just can't jump quite as far. You can buy 50# of deer corn for $10.

AgentOrange
11-18-2012, 04:34 PM

DanHyde
12-05-2012, 06:01 AM
I need to build a new bird feeder, and this has inspired me to get something done about it. Over the past few years, I've neglected my birds. I like the AO design. Cedar would be nice. I've got several squirrel families about the place though and they usually rule so it might just become a big cedar squirrel feeder.

TOAD
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Here is a quick easy way to foil the squirrels.

AO sent me a " Droll Yankee Ycpw180 Whipper 4-port hanging bird feeder" for Christmas the other year.

I had one of those shepherd staff flower hanging poles.
I hammered two short pieces of pipe into the ground to raise it up to just where I could reach to hang the feeder on the hook. I did this to raise it above cat jumping height.

The squirrels can climb the pole and get on the feeder but it dumps them to the ground when they try to get to the seed.
It's kind funny to watch. The top of the feeder is made of steel, but the little buggers are chipping all the paint off.

AgentOrange
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I need to build a new bird feeder, and this has inspired me to get something done about it. Over the past few years, I've neglected my birds. I like the AO design. Cedar would be nice. I've got several squirrel families about the place though and they usually rule so it might just become a big cedar squirrel feeder.

Dan, here is the thread on the new feeder:
http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.php?848-Yankee-Bird-Feeder

I made it manily to dispense millet.
This one is made of Cedar as it is strong and light. You can get Cedar tongue and groove at Lowes for the roof. The 4X4 is just a regular pine one.
Here it is with the seed hopper in place and two tube feeders similiar to the one Toad mentions above.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Dan, here is the thread on the new feeder:
http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.php?848-Yankee-Bird-Feeder

I made it manily to dispense millet.
This one is made of Cedar as it is strong and light. You can get Cedar tongue and groove at Lowes for the roof. The 4X4 is just a regular pine one.
Here it is with the seed hopper in place and two tube feeders similiar to the one Toad mentions above.

So squirrels can't get to this? You must have pussy squirrels in your area, because they can get to ANYTHING around here...they perform INCREDIBLE acrobatic acts to access my feeders. They are SMART fuckers, too.

AgentOrange
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
So squirrels can't get to this? You must have pussy squirrels in your area, because they can get to ANYTHING around here...they perform INCREDIBLE acrobatic acts to access my feeders. They are SMART fuckers, too.

Squirrels can get to this one. This feeder is mainly to feed millet to the sparrows. I feed the squirrels and will keep adding a little squirrel food to it. It is Chipmunk proof. Those are the little devils that haul off the food to store and don't eat it. One can empty a feeder in a day. I feed them too, but not here at this feeder. You can feed Chipmunks with shelled peanuts and shelled sunflower seed. Anything in the shell (including millet) that will store is hauled away. I put out deer corn for them to haul off and store at another feeder.

This feeder can be made squirrel proof with something like this:
1003I have a couple flat made ones on posts other places to keep the squirrels and snakes out of my bird houses.

Those two hanging tube feeders above are too much for a squirrel. Where I have them there can/will be solved as the squirrel might be able to cling upside down on the post and reach them. That can be solved by moving them farther out from the post. That is the best squirrel proof feeder I have seen. I have two of the battery ones Toad mentioned. The battery is good for about three years and mine are dead. I have not replaced mine as the cost about $40, and where I have them, squirrels have not been a problem.

I don't have a squirrel problem as I have cats. I like my squirrels, been feeding them for many years. I like and enjoy all my critters.

I only have to bring out the trap when a Raccoon shows up. If it were possible to co-exist, would feed them too.