PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow

AgentOrange
01-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Hand held from 40 feet, and still shows how colorful these are -

simpleman
01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I miss the Cardinals. Never see any out here. I just may have to build me a bird feeder again to attract some.

AgentOrange
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I miss the Cardinals. Never see any out here. I just may have to build me a bird feeder again to attract some.

Cardinals a good year around bird for me. They are very active here. Here in my yard they eat most everything including suet. They like Safflower and berries a lot. Put in a Pyracantha bush (very easy to grow) and they will come. It is easy to find at any nursery or even Home Depot. Also, some evergreen for shelter is good like a Leland Cypress. Both are fast growers.

Cardinals like all feeders, but seem to prefer platform types. They are about the last bird you will see in the evening and the first in the morning.

I have a feeder like this by my bed, and the activity there is amazing. I keep suet, Safflower and shelled Sunflower in it. My cats watch and beat on it constantly. Cardinals are in and out from dawn until dusk along with most everyone else including Red-bellied Woodpeckers that scream out when they land - alerting the cats. http://www.amazon.com/Coveside-Panoramic--house-Window-Mirrored/dp/B0013M0JIC/ref=sr_1_2?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1326316758&sr=1-2 I have had mine for several years, it is worth the money and holds up well. The two way mirror causes the Cardinals to peck at their reflection in Spring as they carve out territory and think it is a rival. It would make a good Valentines Day gift.

simpleman
01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I like that little window feeder.

I think that's why I don't see any Cardinals where I'm at. No Evergreens/Pines. They love em. Have to go about 20 miles east or west. I'm in the valley. Back in Michigan I was surrounded with White/Jack/Scotch Pines. I could count at least 10 Cards at any viewing. I used to love watching the males when a female would wing her way in. All the boys start fighting.

Other birds I really miss watching are the Baltimore Orel and the Purple Martins.