PDA

View Full Version : FALL GARDEN

AgentOrange
07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I live in the colder part of ZONE 7 (seems like Zone 3 this year). :sulkiness:
It is time to get in the Fall Garden if you are planting seeds.

If you plant cabbage now, it will last on into a hard freeze. This is also the time to plant Kale and Spinach. You could even start planting some lettuce seed now, and keep replanting until freeze as it it cheap. Frost will not kill off established plants. Radishes are good to start as seed now, replant every two weeks.
Lots of bugs around now, so use DIPEL about every ten days. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dipel&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3996833335&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=89761843336085441&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_253lff2gea_e

Adjust by your zone. You can also put in plants grown in a nursery later on $$. The key now to planting seeds now is to keep the soil wet, which in the drought here in my garden means watering everyday. I use a timer.
On the porch, just started yet another pot of Basil, my favorite edible plant. I have lots now, and will have until frost. :adoration:

Consider using a deck box. Last Winter, I used a few self watering containers on the deck. Being against the house made a difference from plants in the yard. It was a mild Winter. I had all the Spinach I could eat all Winter, plus a lot of Cabbage. The mixed lettuce did OK but got kinda bitter.

Try a pot with Spinach on your deck. The more you pick, the more it grows. Add it to a little Mayo and peanut butter and you have a great sandwich.

Chuck Farley
09-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I just planted seeds for 70 pansy plants for my wife, and for 120 leaf lettuce plants. I use the Gardener's Supply APS seed starter trays. I hope I'm not too late.692 This is from a previous year and what I'm shooting for this year.

AgentOrange
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Bought 5 spectacular MUMs today.
Mums are seen as a Fall event, and I like that. I buy a couple every year and replant. If not pruned, they will bloom at any time including in the heat of Summer. They are indeed "hardy" and have ore uses than just Fall. They make a great plant, but do need water.

The ones I bought today have not opened. It is not too early to buy them as these are the same plants you get in October. They might as well decorate my house now as greenery as opposed to sitting at the nursery and me buying the same plant later.
I have found that blooming can be retarded by not putting them in full Sun.

I saw some Pansies out there for sale today also. That seems silly, but actually if you keep them wet, they can develop a strong root system before Winter hits. You can also protect them by planting in an area that has shade you know will be gone when the leaves fall.

elgrau
09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
What's "Fall"? :congratulatory: Basically two seasons out here: Summer (May-October) and wnter (November-April). Winter garden consists of stuff like cabbage, "hearty" tomatoes, onions, beets, etc....

AgentOrange
09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
What's "Fall"? :congratulatory: Basically two seasons out here: Summer (May-October) and wnter (November-April).

It is mild here too, but we do get the "seasons". The older I get, the more I enjoy that.
The September Equinox 2012:
September 22,
14:49 (or 2.49pm) UTC (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/aboututc.html)
That starts FALL for us SC Pagans.
We don't get our first frost until the the end of October.
I am a "SUMMER GUY", but looking forward to a frost as I have let my yard get out of control this year and a little frost will help a lot.

elgrau
09-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Me a winter guy....you just get so sick and tired of all that ever present (and harmful! lol) CA sunshine in the summer. I LOVE bike rides in the winter damp/mist/fog/lite rain to the Newport Beach "Crab Cooker" restaurant where they have the BEST clam chowder (west of the Miss. river I'm sure; maybe east as well!). That and an ice tea out front on their benches and you would swear you are in New England! Sunshine depresses me...:mushroom: