PDA

View Full Version : HUMMER

AgentOrange
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
It is 95.3 in the shade here on the porch today, and a bout a degree hotter at the lake. It it a nice, warm day in South Carolina. The drought is in full force around here and the lake is 10 foot down, but there is still a lot of water out there.

Here in my garden, I water things everyday. I have had to let 80% of the yard go and just try to keep up the section here off the porch where I like to sit. It is shaded and lush. All the Summer flowers are out now and the place looks great.

The birds are less as is usual in Summer, but this Summer is the worst so far as to different ones hanging out here. This year I only got two Hummingbirds. I guess the many that always come here ran into an Al Gore wind mill farm and were slaughtered. The two have nested and brought the kids around, so now I have about 5 or 6. Even 5 or 6 really adds non-stop action. I have out 8 feeders including one about 2 feet from my feet that a baby has claimed. Others keep running him off of course, but he keeps returning to sit beside me. I think they do all this jousting to gain the strength for the big Fall Migration. They are incredible creatures. In a normal year, I would go through a few gallons a week, but this year I don't think I will even need to bring out the big feeders.
Oh well, these will fly to Peru or some place, return next year and my 5 or 6 will become a dozen or more. The next year I will be back to normal.

Keep your feeders filled as this is the time Hummingbirds most need a little help as they fatten up for Migration. It is also the time they are the most entertaining. Don't worry about them fighting, they love it - just enjoy the show.
Change the water out every couple days as in the heat it can ferment.
Feeding Hummingbirds is cheap, so help the little guys out with a free meal.

They are also very easy to photo, even with the camera in your phone as they get quite tame.

A free deck bird feeder tray to the one who posts the best photo "they" take of one. This is a nice, handy little feeder as TnRabbit can attest to.

kingman R.I.P.
07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
What Sir Elton got from his "Life Partner" ....

AgentOrange
10-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Had a Hummingbird here the last two days.
In SC and most of the east coast, the only Hummer is the Ruby Throat.

During migration birds get blown off (lost) or WTF and end up where they don't belong. This is the 4th time at my house in the last 11 years. Not sure yet what this one is, but my first guess is a Rufus female. I'll get a photo if shows tomorrow. They can be hard to ID without one. Males, females and first year birds all look different.

Here is a Ruby Throat female photo I took. As you can see, no "red throat":

Here is a fun Rufus I took last year as he landed and wings were still going. I think the one here now is a Rufus, but with binos through the window in a quick glance, might be a Buff which would be a new bird for me - very exciting!

I take all my feeders in when the Ruby Throats leave in mid October, but leave out a couple and at least one all year. A few birds seem to be glad I do that.

AgentOrange
11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
My lonely Rufus Hummingbird is still here.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
11-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Maybe he doesn't like traveling alone....

AgentOrange
11-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe he doesn't like traveling alone....
HA HA--

Actually he traveled here alone. East of the Mississippi, we all have "JUST" the Ruby Throat.
Every year, a few of these Rufus forget their GPS and end up in SE USA instead of Latin America. That is not too good.

I will care for him as best I can. He will most likely be OK now that he has found a Winter food source (me). A better plan would be to head South, but he might not.

This is the reason I keep at least one fresh HB feeder out all year for the last 20 years.
Now I have 4 out.
My yard has been crushed by Fall cold, but I still have lots of flowers, mainly Roses, Camellias, Azaleas, Violas, Pansies.

Photos from this week:

AgentOrange
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
My 2013 Hummers started arriving yesterday 04/08/13.
That is normal I guess for my yard. Only two, hoping more arrive today.:highly_amused:

In Winter on the CatBird deck I have my Pine Warblers filling in, but they will be leaving soon.:grumpy:

AgentOrange
04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
When I went to Carverfest, took a sunflower feeder and had Chickadees and Titmice show on my deck. There were two Hummer feeders already there. I borrowed some sugar from Kingman's sweetheart and Hummers were at both before night fall.

That was in Sept. Moral of the story, get a Hummer feeder out as soon as you can. They are hungry and it cost you almost nothing.

leftinthedust
04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Good reminder. It was like summer out there today. Got my feeders cleaned up. Going to cook up some bird juice and hang them out tomorrow.

leftinthedust
04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Got my feeders out on Wednesday. Spotted our first pair of visitors today, Sunday. Here is one of them.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
04-22-2013, 09:04 AM
http://youtu.be/0pScks71UjY

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pungh0li0?feature=watch

TNRabbit R.I.P.
07-27-2013, 12:12 AM
I've had a feeder hanging in front of my kitchen window since May; there are about 10 hummingbirds now that use it. I filled it last weekend & they've worn it OUT this week; time to refill again already. It's a larger glass container...I'll try to get a pic of it in the daylight tomorrow--perhaps even with a hummingbird in the shot~

TNRabbit R.I.P.
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Went to fill the hummingbird feeder today & this little guy was working HARD to try to get the last dregs out of the bottom of it~

Within 20 seconds of hanging it back up (it was still swinging), he was on it eating away, so I grabbed my phone & captured this short video:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/Around the House/Wildlife/th_Hummingbirdfeeding7_27_2013_zpsdf2c9975.jpg (http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/Around the House/Wildlife/Hummingbirdfeeding7_27_2013_zpsdf2c9975.mp4)

AgentOrange
07-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Good video. They are mostly through breeding now and will be full force at the feeders getting fat for migration.

AgentOrange
08-31-2013, 01:18 PM
I have out several feeders and need them all. The Hummingbirds are going wild. Sitting here on the porch is amazing as they buzz each other guarding the feeders. They fly so close I can feel the wind, but so far none has ever hit me.

SteveK
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
None here this summer. Last week I took the feeder in for the season.
Steve

AgentOrange
08-31-2013, 02:48 PM
None here this summer. Last week I took the feeder in for the season.
Steve
Bad move. Migration will be starting soon and some might discover you. Put it back out.

Maybe you are not getting it out early enough in Spring.

I have many and keep one out all Winter. In 3 recent seasons, a stray from west of the big river has shown up here for the Winter.

AgentOrange
09-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Critical time for Hummers. Many will perish because they were unable to fatten for the long migration.

Word on the block is some of you assholes are not keeping your feeders full with fresh food.
That is pissing off all the clowns -

TNRabbit R.I.P.
09-08-2013, 10:27 PM
A lady that lives near me just said all her hummers (about a dozen) disappeared this week. I told her it was about time for their migration, but that she should leave the feeder up for any migrating through & any that might possibly attempt to winter here (it's happening more & more).

TNRabbit R.I.P.
09-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Here's a fantastic video I found on youtube:

http://youtu.be/_pVMI6WfoK4

AgentOrange
10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Filled up my Hummer feeders this morning. I have about 8 out right now. One tiny bird was waiting for his favorite and jumped it as I hung it up.

I am down to 3 birds now. Mine will leave and some migrating down from the north will stop by to re-fuel. It is amazing how almost to the day they arrive and depart each year.

I just read an article about how some don't survive the long (impossible) journey because they were unable to fatten enough before migration.
If your feeder is not fresh and full, you are not my friend and I hope you die.