PDA

View Full Version : Tree Hugger

AgentOrange
01-02-2024, 08:49 PM
For the last couple decades have been experimenting as to growing things. I have learned a lot by trial and error.
Putting the right plant in the right environment is everything.

I have planted and tried to grow many different/odd things over the years, as that is where the fun is.

I only trim as a last resort, prefer the shape of natural growth.
I don't plant many deciduous plants as Nature gives me those.
My place is green all year, or at least it used to be.
I prefer things with berries for my birds.

I went plant "window shopping" near Clemson today.
Keep in mind that I shop differently these days. I suspect I no longer have time left to plant Walnut trees. I need large plants or those that grow quickly.

I quickly experienced "sticker shock"

For example, I had a huge Little Gem Magnolia. One just 5' tall was $549.

I had a 30' Fan Palm, one 6' is $395.

The better deal is to grow from seed or cuttings, but I am too old to benefit from that.
I have no interest in planting things the folks who live here after me will enjoy as they will probably trim or remove them and install a lawn.

AgentOrange
01-02-2024, 08:53 PM
My Uncle Bob had great humor.

Around age 80 he was impressed at a funeral he attended.
The dead guy had made his own coffin from Walnut wood. It was splendid!

On the way home Bob said he was going to do the same. He said as soon as we get home, "going to plant a walnut for the wood I will need".

jjptkd
01-03-2024, 10:12 AM
I planted some trees at the MT home here along the property line they were maybe 2ft tall now the center three are pushing 8ft tall while the ones on the sides are struggling. I can't remember what they are will post pictures later I wanted Cedar shrubs as that's what's common back home in WA for privacy walls but the nursery I bought them from said the deer would destroy them. I ended up building a fence behind them as I figured it would be a long time before they would serve as a true privacy screen. Looking back paying more for taller trees may have been worth it, saved 6-8 years of grow time?

- - - Updated - - -

I planted some trees at the MT home here along the property line they were maybe 2ft tall now the center three are pushing 8ft tall while the ones on the sides are struggling. I can't remember what they are will post pictures later I wanted Cedar shrubs as that's what's common back home in WA for privacy walls but the nursery I bought them from said the deer would destroy them. I ended up building a fence behind them as I figured it would be a long time before they would serve as a true privacy screen. Looking back paying more for taller trees may have been worth it, saved 6-8 years of grow time?

jjptkd
01-04-2024, 09:19 AM
This is out my side slider yesterday, today it is snow covered I'll take some more pictures when it gets light out. I have a couple huge maple trees out front and they overshadow my little trees on the left side. I was just talking with my dad I may move the farthest left one this spring as it doesn't get much sun. The three in the middle have really started to take off, the one on the far right broke in several spots due to heavy snow last year.

- - - Updated - - -

This is out my side slider yesterday, today it is snow covered I'll take some more pictures when it gets light out. I have a couple huge maple trees out front and they overshadow my little trees on the left side. I was just talking with my dad I may move the farthest left one this spring as it doesn't get much sun. The three in the middle have really started to take off, the one on the far right broke in several spots due to heavy snow last year.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why some of these pictures post upside down and I don't know how to fix them-- I believe these trees are a type of Juniper if I recall correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why some of these pictures post upside down and I don't know how to fix them-- I believe these trees are a type of Juniper if I recall correctly.

Chuck Farley
01-04-2024, 12:58 PM
Fixed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed it.

AgentOrange
01-04-2024, 03:51 PM
Nice trees. I lost at least 20 very large, very old Pines to the Pine Beatles.

jjptkd
01-04-2024, 04:07 PM
Snowed last night looks like its going to keep snowing and get very cold over the next week. I need to be able to sneak out of here I'm thinking maybe Monday have to keep an eye on the passes. Lookout pass at the MT ID border then 4th of July near WA border and Snoqualmie in WA which is typically the worst one even at the lowest elevation.

- - - Updated - - -

Snowed last night looks like its going to keep snowing and get very cold over the next week. I need to be able to sneak out of here I'm thinking maybe Monday have to keep an eye on the passes. Lookout pass at the MT ID border then 4th of July near WA border and Snoqualmie in WA which is typically the worst one even at the lowest elevation.

AgentOrange
01-04-2024, 04:38 PM
I guess visiting would be fun for me, but never understood why folks would choose to live in colder climates.
We might get some snow this year, but it will be gone by noon.

Marty Gass
01-04-2024, 04:46 PM
I love seeing pictures of snow covered open outdoor areas like forests or meadows. I do not like winter. I have been Florida the past few days and it was even cold here but I was in Jacksonville and it is not that much warmer than where I live at this time of year but gets warmer fast. Years ago I loved running in the winter as I had a hard time in the heat. Now I hate winter and like the heat. Going slow helped with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I love seeing pictures of snow covered open outdoor areas like forests or meadows. I do not like winter. I have been Florida the past few days and it was even cold here but I was in Jacksonville and it is not that much warmer than where I live at this time of year but gets warmer fast. Years ago I loved running in the winter as I had a hard time in the heat. Now I hate winter and like the heat. Going slow helped with that.

AgentOrange
01-20-2024, 04:40 PM
Due to be old and lazy, my plant project is what it is. Right now it is on hold due to temps in the teens with wind for a few days.
I enjoy sitting out here (like now) below freezing with beer, but working or jogging in it --> I'll wait.

I hate to dig as it is hard work. My place was graded to red mud, so the top soil has very few nutrients. I have to add some better soil to all I plant. So far that is 22 bags @about $9. I am a poor redneck, so that hurts. I have spent over $1K so far. I need as much soil as I can haul in, and being elderly -> hard work. I am adding some 13-13-13 as I go. The correct way is to have soil samples done, but ??

The yard slopes down, so kinda worried as to root rot. To that end will need to dig in some drainage. Got in two of these but will need a few more.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-4-in-x-10-ft-5-PSI-Corrugated-French-Drain-Pipe/3136611?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-ggl-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-3136611-_-local-_-0-_-0&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1tmLz-TsgwMV1F5_AB2f9wcqEAQYAiABEgLnVfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is a lot of digging (which I hate).

So far:

- 2 Pampas grass -- in the ground
- 6 twin holly --in the ground
- 5 Clematis
- 1 Ginko -- in the ground
- 2 Emerald Arborvitae -- in the ground
- 4 Green Giant Arborvitae
- 1 Bamboo
- switch grass seeds

The Bamboo seems to be fun. I got in one Giant Timber Bamboo - Bambusa Oldhamii.

This a clump bamboo, not a spreading one. It is a tall, straight timber bamboo that grows huge, 50' bamboo poles 4"-6" in diameter. It grows quick, so good for an old guy. I am tempted to get a couple more.

I am going to try "switch grass" some places. I grew up near a field of it. Hard to get going from seed, but I'll try. No way am I putting in a lawn to please the neighbors unless they agree to cut it for me.

My backyard (which I consider my front yard) did not suffer as much in the fire and rebounded OK except for a few lost trees. This Spring will reveal more as to what did not cope with the stress.

Plants can be, and to me are, -- >> fun.

Marty Gass
01-21-2024, 01:22 PM
I did not know there was a bamboo that did not go wild and spread everywhere. Some bamboo got planted a while back in the new part of the park and it is now growing all over on the bank of the creek. The storm a few weeks ago flooded and put the park under 4 to 5 feet of water which washed away some small trees and bamboo but it will be back.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not know there was a bamboo that did not go wild and spread everywhere. Some bamboo got planted a while back in the new part of the park and it is now growing all over on the bank of the creek. The storm a few weeks ago flooded and put the park under 4 to 5 feet of water which washed away some small trees and bamboo but it will be back.