PDA

View Full Version : Gold Fish and The Tiny Mind

AgentOrange
12-16-2023, 04:34 PM
There is no need to thank me for all the entertainment I post here.

Goldfish and I go way back.
My first recollection is of left over minnows from fishing kept in a large fish bowl near the Steinkuhler window when my sister still lived with us.

You could get a fancy goldfish downtown Chester from McCrory's. They were put in a carton kinda like Chinese takeout (which we had never heard of in the 50's).

Parents were in the Winn-Dixie as I sat outside with my beautiful new fish.
The carton began to leak. It was going to die, I was crying. A guy from next door (think it was called WT Betts) came to our rescue.

Last year all my gold fish were again put under stress with polution, no filters, no nothing. Forget that my Bride and I were under similar stress, critters come first for us.
I needed fresh water and power.
Neighbors helped me just like that guy from the farm store had 70 years before.
I don't forget that.

A couple dozen survived and have prospered this year. They are fat and happy, as am I.

Marty Gass
12-17-2023, 06:00 PM
Gold fish are interesting. They seem to survive many things. We have some in our pond as I am sure I have mentioned before. Jennifer got them about 18 months ago and they are now quite large. I don't know how they survived last winter but they did. I am still looking into a pond heater that won't fail and cook them. I think we will have a mild winter this year as there are few acorns on my oak trees and almost no holly berries. On top of that the woolly worms show it will be a mild winter and they seem to never be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Gold fish are interesting. They seem to survive many things. We have some in our pond as I am sure I have mentioned before. Jennifer got them about 18 months ago and they are now quite large. I don't know how they survived last winter but they did. I am still looking into a pond heater that won't fail and cook them. I think we will have a mild winter this year as there are few acorns on my oak trees and almost no holly berries. On top of that the woolly worms show it will be a mild winter and they seem to never be wrong.

AgentOrange
12-24-2023, 03:56 PM
Goldfish are poikilothermic and their body temperature changes with the water temperature.
The coldest temperature goldfish can survive at is 25? Fahrenheit which means they are in ice.
A goldfish’s metabolism slows down in cold water temperatures, which affects their appetite, movement, and respiration.

My water temp today is 44. It won't freeze over as it is 4000 moving gallons.
They need almost no food after 50degrees, uneaten food spoils the water. Over Winter I will feed them some wheat germ.
Gold Fish are tough.

AgentOrange
12-24-2023, 03:56 PM
Goldfish are poikilothermic and their body temperature changes with the water temperature.
The coldest temperature goldfish can survive at is 25? Fahrenheit which means they are in ice.
A goldfish?s metabolism slows down in cold water temperatures, which affects their appetite, movement, and respiration.

My water temp today is 44. It won't freeze over as it is 4000 moving gallons.
They need almost no food after 50degrees, uneaten food spoils the water. Over Winter I will feed them some wheat germ.
Gold Fish are tough.