PDA

View Full Version : Bird Fountain

AgentOrange
06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Working on my deck bird bath since it is only about 135 degrees out here today. :numbness: It has been entertaining me for years. Basically, I built a box, put a 50 gallon tub inside, stuck in a bird bath and circulated water so it appeared to fall into the ground. This idea was the "cat's ass" ten years ago among garden people. I just improved on the over flowing jar routine as that is not critter friendly.

I found a shallow bird bath I liked (birds can't use the deep ones) and drilled out the center to accept a water line. I covered near the top of the box (5footX5foot) with wire and dumped in a layer of Volcanic stone as it is light weight. The fountain over flowed onto the stones and "disappeared" into the 50 gallon tub below. Rain water from the roof keeps it filled, and it has been very seldom I have needed to add water over the last several years. A good water pump is cheap on line, and will run 24/7 for years and use little electricity.

Later on I replaced the volcano stones with rubber mulch. It has worked well and been entertaining drawing in birds and tree frogs.

This week I am cleaning it up. I will replace some boards, re stain and etc. I cleaned it all out, and now have the bird bath just over flowing into the tub. I kinda like that for a change after ten years of disappearing water. I can add some plants and maybe a smaller pump to slow down the water as it is kinda noisy. I see I can get a 250gph Mag pump with shipping and tax for $57 that uses just 21 watts. I prefer Mag Drive pumps as I have gotten good service from them over the years. I think the one in there now is 500gph which is too much when the water is not falling on the ground/rubber mulch.

This fountain is against a big window (4X6?) and is actually a big part of my living room.

Updates coming if anyone is interested in where this ends up.
I see things like this as a good DIY project for anyone. Buying something similar is expensive, but with a little time one can do much better for 25% of the cost. You get a lot more for a lot less and it is custom to you. You can call it "your" yard art.

AgentOrange
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I took a photo and when I stuck the card in, see it still has some old shots on it including one of the fountain in Winter. Later tonight on my main computer, will find some views of it not frozen from inside and outside the window.

Here is the fountain frozen in Winter:

Here it is after I have taken off the top layer to expose the pond:

I am thinking placing flat rock around the edge and adding a few colorful pots with small cactus type plants in them. Some are very colorful, and I will not have to worry about watering them.

The frog on top was a gift from YC member DanHyde about ten years ago. He said it was a ringer for me in this old chair I like. I have to agree.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Sweet.

Nothing else to add; just wanted to comment~

kingman R.I.P.
06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I just got a bird bath....FN women.....

Douglas
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Looks great Bill! And yes, from what I've seen and heard about your "nest" the frog statue on top is perfect. :biggrin-new:

AgentOrange
06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
I am thinking placing flat rock around the edge and adding a few colorful pots with small cactus type plants in them. Some are very colorful, and I will not have to worry about watering them.

I grew gourds last year. I ended up with 10 nice ones that have now dried. This morning, I cut the tops off a few to make plant pots for the fountain pond. Tomorrow I will add stain to preserve the inside and paint them bright colors for the new cactus/succulent plants to decorate the fountain pond. I figure that just saved me $50-$75, and home made is always more fun.
Photos coming soon.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I grew tons of gourds as a kid, but never have since then....may have to see about that...

AgentOrange
07-08-2012, 03:20 PM
-- finished with gourd pots -

Douglas
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Look'n good Bill!

TNRabbit R.I.P.
07-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice! What kinda paint did you use? Spray or brush? Brand?

Rorschach
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I like that you are good