PDA

View Full Version : It begins

AgentOrange
10-03-2023, 07:49 PM
As some know, my favorite thing for many years has been to sit in my birding shelter with cold beer and music.
I lost that a year back.

Finally after a year of planning, got the first board up.
This one will be about 12X12 with all the goodies of the one I lost.
It will be a lot of work for an elderly lazy guy, but I have to try.

AgentOrange
10-04-2023, 11:36 AM

Marty Gass
10-06-2023, 12:30 PM
Darn, this looks like a good start to a ton of work. I need a nap just looking at the picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Darn, this looks like a good start to a ton of work. I need a nap just looking at the picture.

AgentOrange
10-06-2023, 02:07 PM
It is coming along. Working in the Sun is hard, but I need a tan.

It is solid, I do good work.

AgentOrange
10-07-2023, 08:39 PM
I got my walls up and my speaker stands made.
About all left is painting (hate to paint) and putting on the roof.
I ordered the roof panels a month ago, they are scheduled in on Thursday.

I have gotten a lot done this week, and my body is complaining. Carpentry uses a lot of muscles I don't normally call on.

Chuck Farley
10-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Oh man, you're moving out. You are a much faster builder than me. It's looking good so far.

AgentOrange
10-09-2023, 06:10 PM
First beer in the 'Dude Haus" --

I brought out my lap top, WiFi speed is 24, which is what I get in the house.
I already picked up a router switch and will run a line out here - soon. From here will run a 100'ft line toward the dock and attach a relay so I will again have internet there.
In the condo, speed was 465. I can't get that here, but it is enough for me to drink beer and pester yall with.

I hate painting, been doing that for two days. More ended up on me than the wood. One needs patience to paint well, and I lack that. Paint was invented to protect wood. Yall artist use it to decorate, and I can't do that. My wood is protected, I'll clean it up some when I paint the new deck (not yet built). Paint is high these days, a can is over $200. I got the one guaranteed for 10 years. That means it may last 3. The colors are a mess. What you pick out in the store and what they mix up for you is not the same.

I still need the roof, scheduled to arrive Thursday. I can't begin adding all the accessories (stereo, computer, fridge, Dude Control Center, bird feeders, gnomes, etc) until I have a roof.

So far I am pleased with my project. Replacing my "CatBird House" has been an obsession for over a year. It was my favorite thing in the world. This "Dude Haus" is different, but the best I can do. I was sitting up in the trees, now I will be ground level. Since my wonderful trees burned down, this will be what it is.

It is 12X12 which is much larger. I tend to overbuild, so no danger of it collapsing if yall visit. Few visit so 99% of the time I am here alone or with Mr Dowd or a cat. They are good company. My Beagle (Rosey) helped me build the CatBird House, Mr Dowd helped with this one.

On my third can of Piedmont Pilsner, enjoying this ramble. It is almost like the old days. I build this site sitting outside.

The work ahead seems to be more than I can do. A 20' walk way is next, then a 12X12 deck, then a 20' bridge for the front to the driveway. I would believe all that to be beyond me, but I have made good progress on this first project. Being 77 is what it is.

Yall keep in touch if you have time.

Mike Kelly
10-09-2023, 08:30 PM
The "Dude Haus" looks great and solid. My part time job as a carpenter turned into a full time job from day one. I work everyday and usually get home around 6:00 - 6:30. I like my new job. Hard work but enjoyable. Not sure how long I can last. A 5 gallon can of Cabot deck clear stain/sealer is $288.80 per can. I used 4 cans this summer on my new fence and old deck. Both look!
I am an expect painter, but a so-so and slow carpenter. My carpenter work is good, but very slow getting it done. I want it to be right.
I can usually take off from work with a 2 week notice. It's just me and my boss, who is a 71 year old life long carpenter. We have enough work to last for the next 12 months or more.
If you need or want me, let me know. I work free for friends.

- - - Updated - - -

The "Dude Haus" looks great and solid. My part time job as a carpenter turned into a full time job from day one. I work everyday and usually get home around 6:00 - 6:30. I like my new job. Hard work but enjoyable. Not sure how long I can last. A 5 gallon can of Cabot deck clear stain/sealer is $288.80 per can. I used 4 cans this summer on my new fence and old deck. Both look!
I am an expect painter, but a so-so and slow carpenter. My carpenter work is good, but very slow getting it done. I want it to be right.
I can usually take off from work with a 2 week notice. It's just me and my boss, who is a 71 year old life long carpenter. We have enough work to last for the next 12 months or more.

- - - Updated - - -

AgentOrange
10-09-2023, 08:41 PM
Two guys can do a lot, one working alone is a challenge. Climbing up a ladder with a 2X8X14 is not easy, then you discover there is no one on the other end to hold it up while you get in a nail.
I use magic (Mr Dowd).

Marty Gass
10-11-2023, 11:00 AM
I remain amazed. I would never do this. I can and could and my wife would be there pushing me while she held up her end. She is 55 and a work horse. I do not bring up projects as she will start them and drag me in.

I can see the size of the “dude” house. Is the deck going on to that or is it a separate area of the outside of the house? What does the ramp attach to?

- - - Updated - - -

I remain amazed. I would never do this. I can and could and my wife would be there pushing me while she held up her end. She is 55 and a work horse. I do not bring up projects as she will start them and drag me in.

I can see the size of the ?dude? house. Is the deck going on to that or is it a separate area of the outside of the house? What does the ramp attach to?

AgentOrange
10-14-2023, 03:32 PM
Right now I am sitting in my Dude Haus.

It will not be finished for some time, but I have accomplished a lot.
I got some paint on and the roof.

The beer fridge is in, so having a cold one.

The music is playing and sounds good. I was unable to hook in the subwoofer right now, but to be honest, there is no need with these speakers which go to 45hz. I planned well and am happy with the sound. I will get the sub hooked later on. Funny as I collected these components months ago and just now unboxed them.

I have the chair I made (Dude Control Center) in. I been sitting in it for months in Anderson, now it and I have a home.

I got the monitor out here, but don't have a power cord, so am on the laptop.

My yard looks like crap right now, but by Spring, it will look OK.
I have more building to do, so the yard will have to wait, Winter is the best time for that.

AgentOrange
10-14-2023, 03:33 PM
'''''''''

That don't mean you guys ----

AgentOrange
10-16-2023, 05:04 PM
It is coming along. I got my monitor mounted, but don't have a power cord.
That is kinda my life these days. Things I had a million of, no longer have.
Things one takes for granted are not available. You will never know how much junk you take for granted unless it all disappears.

Things like forks and spoons, cups, plates, toothpaste, etc no longer laying around. Even after a year, lacking things one does not think about until it aint there.

AgentOrange
10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Got my 30' walkway built, but will have to go back and level it some.
I have already assembled my patio frame, but am taking the weekend off. I'll get the floor and rails in and painting some next week.

Carpentry is a lot of bending and crawling. Carpenters are flexible, and I aint. This has been good for me, but my body is aching. I suspect being stiff is why I did not meet my race goal today. It will pay off in the days ahead - I hope! I want to be in the 25's at the T-day race.

AgentOrange
10-24-2023, 11:07 PM
11Pm and I am one (or more ) beers over the limit.

I am in my Dude Haus beside my new patio.
The DH is mostly done. I will paint the patio on Thursday and Friday.

In my opinion it is impressive. I conceived all this while in depression. If fire takes away all you have, even a guy like me gets depressed. It hurts hard when you can't protect your Bride, and have no clue as to how to react.

Last Winter I began sketches that became detailed as to every board and nail. It was a massive project for one elderly guy, but entertained me.
Fiction to fact I was faced with doing this.

I am blessed at the age of 77 to still know who I am, much less work hard all day.
This has brought home to me how being in decent shape and not a fat ass is ~~
I have been able to work hard all day and accomplish things that even amaze me.

I am not a carpenter, but I have good IQ. If they can do it -- why not me?

I am not yet at the finish line, but this will be ready for Halloween. I am surprised at me, and eager to return to my days of excess beer drinking.

Marty Gass
10-26-2023, 02:52 PM
I believe you can do anything that you put your mind to because you don't quit.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe you can do anything that you put your mind to because you don't quit.

AgentOrange
10-26-2023, 03:12 PM
Day Drinkin' again --
My excuse is I am watching my paint dry. I got some paint on my yard projects today, will do touch up tomorrow.
I am the world's best builder and the world's worse painter.

October has been an incredibly-> physically and mentally -> stressful month for me. I have made muscles sore that I did not know I still had. It has greatly improved my strenght and flexibility. Right now I just feel broken, but some rest out here in my chair with cold beer will help. My jogging has suffered, but I have gotten in a few miles and beat the other geezers at the Oktoberfest.

I rented a truck and in a couple trips moved all of K's furniture -- about killed me as I am old. Her hutch is too heavy, will get that someday.
I planted grass which is looking great, and got in a load of mulch (not yet all spread as I am waiting for rain to guide me).

I started building a 12'X12' bird blind, a 12'X12' deck, and a 30' walkway. Neither is done, but I have put a huge dent in the projects. It takes one man 4x as long as to what two can do as you don't have someone to hold a 16' board while you get a nail in it. I just putter along and try to do a job Pop would be proud of.
The heavy work is done, the rest is just fun things (except for more stupid painting).

Inside my bird blind (Dude Haus) have the chair I made to fit me, and many necessities like beer fridge, computer, and a very good stereo system. My last one was 6X10, so this gives me more room for wtf things.

The deck needs a lot more work and accessories to look OK, but is solid. This is for K as I don't allow her in the 'Dude Haus'.

https://i.postimg.cc/BQjmHL56/d2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wBQ2ghzW/d3.jpg

AgentOrange
10-26-2023, 03:16 PM
"I believe you can do anything that you put your mind to because you don't quit."
---------------Marty Gass

Thanks, I appreciate you saying that.
Runners become like that. "Fight the little voice that demands you quit" is what we do. You and I have proven many times that we can persevere.

Mike Kelly
10-26-2023, 09:08 PM
Dude Haus looks great! Many enjoyable hours spent in it to come. Also the satisfaction of a job well done.

Marty Gass
10-27-2023, 01:59 PM
I think the Dude Haus looks great. What a task.

I am lazy in all things except running and I am getting a bit weaker as to that. I think I worked hard at races and training because I did not want any of you to think less of me. I think my expectations about me were somewhat dwarfed by the expectations of others. I doubt I will run much more that 30 t0 35 miles a week again. I can easily run 40 to 45 but it requires a good bit of hassle these days with all my work travel. Who knows, when I retire I may become a higher mileage runner. I think I will spend more time getting to ride my bike that I spent $1400.00 on a few years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Dude Haus looks great. What a task.

I am lazy in all things except running and I am getting a bit weaker as to that. I think I worked hard at races and training because I did not want any of you to think less of me. I think my expectations about me were somewhat dwarfed by the expectations of others. I doubt I will run much more that 30 t0 35 miles a week again. I can easily run 40 to 45 but it requires a good bit of hassle these days with all my work travel. Who knows, when I retire I may become a higher mileage runner. I think I will spend more time getting to ride my bike that I spent $1400.00 on a few years ago.

AgentOrange
11-01-2023, 05:35 PM
I lost where I hung out for the last years (critters knew me there). For a year I have had no place to hang, no music, no beer, no birds.

This month "finally" got the chance and built a new hangout.
Being 77 (and lazy) this was a task for me.
It seemed an impossible task for me, but thought back to when my brother Wayne was born. Pop just went out and built a new room onto our house. This aint on that level, but Wayne will not be sleeping in it.

Mike Kelly
11-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Excellent! I like it! You appear to be a better carpenter than I am. Faster too.

Marty Gass
11-02-2023, 02:14 PM
I am amazed...but only that you have the energy to get it done and done so quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

I am amazed...but only that you have the energy to get it done and done so quickly.