PDA

View Full Version : RAIN

AgentOrange
05-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Rain is falling. For thousands of years, RAIN means life. Here in my garden we have suffered. Reports say La Nina ended this month and normal rainfall should return by the end of June. For this part of the world, that means a constant of about 4.5 to 5.5 inches each month with much more common.
The lake is down just over 8 foot. This time last year it had a 1 1/2 foot surplus even with the drought.

It is hard to explain how much I love to see rain these days. I can water a few flowers, but can't help the big trees.

Sitting here on the deck watching it fall really lifts my spirits.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
05-13-2012, 08:57 PM
When I was in Bermuda last year, they are FANATICS about saving every drop of rainwater as it's their only source of fresh water. They have a very interesting roof setup for catching rain & saving in cisterns under their houses.

We who have sufficient rainfall don't understand how critical water is to life.

Spend 6 months in Saudi Arabia & you'll gain a new respect for rain/water....

AgentOrange
05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Is the photo above one of the best ever?

It is for me.

Douglas
05-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I know what you mean Bill. We are cherishing every drop we have this year. Lake Travis is now UP TO 30' below normal! The Edwards Aquifer is still very low, and those who use it as a water source are being told to only bathe for a special occasion! The drought here in Texas has been getting a lot better, but we have a long way to go. April was not very helpful, but May has been much wetter than normal, and the forecast is for more rainfall. We have our fingers crossed.

AgentOrange
05-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I know what you mean Bill. We are cherishing every drop we have this year. Lake Travis is now UP TO 30' below normal! The Edwards Aquifer is still very low, and those who use it as a water source are being told to only bathe for a special occasion! The drought here in Texas has been getting a lot better, but we have a long way to go. April was not very helpful, but May has been much wetter than normal, and the forecast is for more rainfall. We have our fingers crossed.

It is not like that here. Even back a few years when the lake went 15 foot down, there was plenty of water. Atlanta was publishing "water hogs" in the paper, but here in Oconee there was plenty. Water is here, but I hate to buy it. I want normal rain, which I believe is returning. We got 2 inches this past weekend.